3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
foldable map of Ida
chuckclark
post Oct 27 2008, 12:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3967

Here is a constant-scale natural boundary map of Ida that folds to a decent replica of the asteroid. Map edges are Ida's major ridges.[attachment=16299:Ida_MaxRidge_post.jpg]
[EDIT] Here it is again with the photomosaic properly credited; apologies to M. Nyrtsov for my oversight.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_jumpjack_*
post Nov 6 2008, 08:24 AM
Post #2

Guests

QUOTE (chuckclark @ Oct 27 2008, 02:57 PM) *
Here is a constant-scale natural boundary map of Ida that folds to a decent replica of the asteroid. Map edges are Ida's major ridges.[attachment=16299:Ida_MaxRidge_post.jpg]
[EDIT] Here it is again with the photomosaic properly credited; apologies to M. Nyrtsov for my oversight.

I can't believe it! blink.gif

Did anybody build it?!?

Does it exist a pic of it completed? blink.gif

+Quote Post
dilo
post Nov 6 2008, 03:07 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 150

I tried with the aid of my son but result was very bad... perhaps, I need to print it on a larger scale (it was A5 size approx).

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
chuckclark
post Nov 6 2008, 05:31 PM
Post #4

I've put it together twice -- I'll post a digital pic as soon as I can find a pal with a digital camera -- and the first one went together easier than the other. So it seems that where you start, and which sides you leave the tabs on, makes a difference in the result.
The bigger size definitely helps. I printed it on 11 x 17 (ledger-size) paper.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 6 2008, 06:14 PM
Post #5

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Does my old friend Maxim Nyrtsov read this? Hi Maxim! See you next year!

Yes, Maxim visited me in Ontario in 2000, and helped a lot with the image reprojection work for the global mosaic Chuck has used here. He lives and works in Moscow.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Guest_jumpjack_*
post Nov 7 2008, 07:26 AM
Post #6

Guests

It was difficult for me even to build a paper Earth globe, without something to glue the paper on... I can't imagine how I could build such an irregular shape..... huh.gif

But I guess a 3d model should exist somewhere, if a card model has been prepared: where could I find it? Maybe I could build a model by means of multiple overlapped "slices" of cardstock or wood... huh.gif

+Quote Post
t_oner
post Nov 7 2008, 11:41 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 508

I built the physical models that Chuck is using to create his maps, if anyone is interested I can cut the computer model in slices that you can print on paper to create your own models.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 7 2008, 12:13 PM
Post #8

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

What format are those models available in?

+Quote Post
Guest_jumpjack_*
post Nov 7 2008, 12:52 PM
Post #9

Guests

QUOTE (Tayfun Öner @ Nov 7 2008, 01:41 PM) *
I built the physical models that Chuck is using to create his maps, if anyone is interested I can cut the computer model in slices that you can print on paper to create your own models.

It was just an idea, I don't know if it is actually feasible to glue the textured paper model over the "sliced carstock model".
Anyway it could be interesting to give it a try.

Are you going to manually "cut" the model in slices, or does it exist (already? huh.gif ) a program to do it?

BTW, I remember several years ago I used this "slice method" to build a model of Mount Etna, and the result was very very good even without textures, as the border lines stressed the shapes of hills and valleys.

+Quote Post
t_oner
post Nov 7 2008, 01:06 PM
Post #10

I can convert the models to most popular formats.

Cutting the computer models in slices is an automatic process. I think it would be feasible to build such a model, the most difficult part would be cutting the slices from cardstock. If you have access to a laser cutter you will only have to glue them, using guide holes that I can add.

+Quote Post
Guest_jumpjack_*
post Nov 7 2008, 01:20 PM
Post #11

Guests

QUOTE (Tayfun Öner @ Nov 7 2008, 03:06 PM) *
I can convert the models to most popular formats.

Cutting the computer models in slices is an automatic process. I think it would be feasible to build such a model, the most difficult part would be cutting the slices from cardstock. If you have access to a laser cutter you will only have to glue them, using guide holes that I can add.

Actually I didn't use cardstock for Etna model... but I don't know the english name! rolleyes.gif They were sheets of gum, used to cover floors ("linoleum"?), 1 or 2 mm thick. Quite easy to cut using scissors, as they don't rip like cardstock.

+Quote Post
chuckclark
post Nov 7 2008, 02:16 PM
Post #12

jumpjack:
Here is a link Phobos Arts and Crafts that gives tips and pics on assembling these paper models -- Note the link deals with Phobos not Ida, but the assembly tips ought to be transferable. Emily's article also includes (I'll have to confirm this) another link to a post I made here at USF with further tips and alternate method (clear tape) of holding it together -- Emily prefers glue.

Oh, Tayfun, now I see your post about the internal slice-packing -- What a superb idea! If you check out the latest posts (and maps) at the "Map of Eros" thread, you'll see my frustration at getting the Eros folded-up map to hold its shape in the Shoemaker region; an internal mass , even if was a fairly loose fit, would, I think, do the trick.

The problem will be to coordinate the size properly, so that the photomosaic paper will wrap the insides neatly. The "Tayfun slices" (aim for about 3/8 inch thick; keep it extremely coarse -- not many slices will be needed; as well as a bit undersized) will make on object of a certain scale, and if that matches the scale bar included on the csnb (constant-scale natural boundary) map, things ought to work. Or be close enough that a little fiddling will be all that's needed.

When I print the Ida and Eros maps on ledger paper, the assembled (folded-up) objects are about 5.5 inches in longest dimension. They aren't in front of me at the moment, but when I get back to my asteroid lab I'll put the micrometers on them and report.

+Quote Post
Guest_jumpjack_*
post Nov 10 2008, 08:12 AM
Post #13

Guests

QUOTE (chuckclark @ Nov 7 2008, 04:16 PM) *
jumpjack:
Here is a link Phobos Arts and Crafts

Well, the final result is not at all as I thought it was. I think I won't try it, unless Tayfun post his "sliced" models...

+Quote Post
chuckclark
post Nov 10 2008, 01:33 PM
Post #14

OK, I corralled a photographer, (S. Adkins) to take a pic of the folded map.

Here (on the left, courtesy of T. Oner)) is a digital image of Ida; and (on the right) the Adkins photo, taken from approximately the same point of view as the digital image.

On the other hand, I think jumpjack is best to wait and hope that Tayfun will make a slices-infill. Two reasons:

1) IN GENERAL: These are experimental maps; folding up to make a convenient, holdable model is a nice property, but the maps are far from perfect (the technology at the moment uses -- to make outlines and graticles -- the very latest of Renaissance graphical techniques, and Photoshop to add the photomosaics).

2) IN SPECIFICS: With the exception of a few crania I mapped a while back, Ida is the most complicated form yet attempted in constant-scale natural boundary mapping, certainly the most extravagantly shaped asteroid. Something (on the back side of this view!) is a little amiss -- to kinked or cramped -- around point "n.". It's easy for the geometry to slip a bit, and the edge get a little out of alignment or true constant-scale; this is probably the problem. Printers can also be a bit out of relative proportional accuracy.

So best to take this all with a grain of salt.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
t_oner
post Nov 10 2008, 03:13 PM
Post #15

Chuck the comparison photo is really impressive.

Due to Ida's irregular shape slices will not be contiguous and I suggest first we try it with Phobos. I will post the slices in DXF and CDR formats in a few days.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:28 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.