Reply to this topicStart new topic
Ganymede Flyby - PJ34, June 7, 2021
TrappistPlanets
post Jun 7 2021, 05:42 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 9009

mcaplinger,
many juno jupiter images look like this https://earthsky.org/upl/2020/03/jupiter-pe...83360265305.png, and that is a lot of distortion to fix
juno did fly close enough for some of that to be happening
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jun 7 2021, 06:30 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (TrappistPlanets @ Jun 7 2021, 09:42 AM) *
mcaplinger,
and that is a lot of distortion to fix

I'm not sure I'd call that distortion, when you fly close to something that's roundish you're pretty much stuck with a view like that.

I think you should simply wait for the data and then see what you and others can do with it.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Kevin Gill
post Jun 7 2021, 11:40 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 7220

QUOTE (TrappistPlanets @ Jun 7 2021, 01:42 PM) *
mcaplinger,
many juno jupiter images look like this https://earthsky.org/upl/2020/03/jupiter-pe...83360265305.png, and that is a lot of distortion to fix
juno did fly close enough for some of that to be happening

Those images are composites of multiple images and are intentionally reprojected by me (in this case) into a simulated Fisheye Equisolid lens ("Little Planet" effect). From some of the simulated images, it doesn't look like Juno flew so close to Ganymede where this effect would be so pronounced

+Quote Post
TrappistPlanets
post Jun 8 2021, 12:56 AM
Post #34

QUOTE (Kevin Gill @ Jun 7 2021, 11:40 PM) *
Those images are composites of multiple images and are intentionally reprojected by me (in this case) into a simulated Fisheye Equisolid lens ("Little Planet" effect). From some of the simulated images, it doesn't look like Juno flew so close to Ganymede where this effect would be so pronounced

so i should be able to reproject the Ganymede images one we get them tomorrow morning (my time zone) with little to no distortion related issues as long i know where the poles and the equator is located and the angle/axis of the object in the images?

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Jun 8 2021, 01:18 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 4270

It depends on the level of imagery you're using. The raw data has significant distortions caused by the motion of the spacecraft, but certainly people here will be able to re-project them correctly.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
Guest_Steve5304_*
post Jun 8 2021, 02:47 AM
Post #36

Guests

ETA on imagery?

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 8 2021, 03:22 AM
Post #37

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (TrappistPlanets @ Jun 7 2021, 05:56 PM) *
little to no distortion related issues

You are talking about push frame images from a spinning spacecraft travelling at 19km/sec just 1,038km from the surface that will have moved nearly 600km in a single rotation.

It's nothing BUT distortion related issues.

The images will be here when they're here.

Some of the gurus of Junocam work will figure out some nice reprojections I'm sure.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jun 8 2021, 03:33 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Steve5304 @ Jun 7 2021, 06:47 PM) *
ETA on imagery?

Per post #16 in this thread: "All that adds up to the data showing up on missionjuno no earlier than 8 June and hopefully no later than the day after".

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Jun 8 2021, 03:49 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 321

Ganymede, in regional views, gives us one thing that Jupiter doesn't – a bonanza of well-known control points that have already been identified. Even without knowing a bit about the motion of Juno, it seems that someone could stretch and fit whatever images we get to existing maps.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 8 2021, 04:12 AM
Post #40

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

ADMIN MODE: The ETA on end of tolerance for people badgering others about this flyby has long since passed. In fact it's passed for badgering of ALL kinds.

Stop. Now. Right now.

/ADMIN MODE

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
antipode
post Jun 8 2021, 06:24 AM
Post #41

Member No.: 1206

While we are waiting, I think this is timely and relevant, for this encounter and certainly for JUICE.

Is it a collisional atmosphere? Maybe some of the time, in some places?

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2106.03570.pdf

P

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Jun 8 2021, 09:26 AM
Post #42

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Member No.: 437

Goldstone is currently receiving a downlink from Juno.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TrappistPlanets
post Jun 8 2021, 11:07 AM
Post #43

can't wait to see juno's new images of ganymede
what rayleighs did juno image ganymede in during the flyby?

+Quote Post
TrappistPlanets
post Jun 8 2021, 11:11 AM
Post #44

QUOTE (JRehling @ Jun 8 2021, 04:49 AM) *
Ganymede, in regional views, gives us one thing that Jupiter doesn't – a bonanza of well-known control points that have already been identified. Even without knowing a bit about the motion of Juno, it seems that someone could stretch and fit whatever images we get to existing maps.

yeah, Ganymede is so well mapped that if you know enough or seen enough already existing Ganymede maps, you can easily recognize a curtain crater or fault
as for Jupiter, it changes so much that you struggle to tell what the offset of that particular image should be after you reproject it...

+Quote Post
owlsyme
post Jun 8 2021, 01:18 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 7615

QUOTE (volcanopele @ May 7 2021, 12:41 PM) *
This allows for JunoCAM images with resolutions between 0.71 and 3.82 km. The best imaging opportunity in my opinion is centered at +01:45 when Juno is 1,515 km above Ganymede. This allows for imaging at around 1 km/pixel

Here's a comparison with Voyager and Galileo images -

Attached Image

The frame at left was taken by the Voyager 2 spacecraft when it flew by in 1979, with a resolution of about 1.3 kilometers (0.8 mile) per pixel. The frame at right showing the same area was captured by Galileo during its first flyby of Ganymede on June 27, 1996; it has a resolution of about 74 meters (243 feet) per pixel, more than 17 times better than that of the Voyager image.

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/images/ganymede-co...ileo-resolution

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:15 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.