Beagle 2 Event At The Royal Society, Monday 8th March 2004
djellison
post Mar 2 2004, 05:06 PM
Post #1

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Beagle2 - the next generation: In conversation with Colin Pillinger

Monday 8 March 2004 at 7pm at The Royal Society, London or via the RS webcast.

Beagle 2 was the plucky little spaceship that people in Britain and across the world took to their hearts.

The dream of a successful Mars landing on Christmas Day 2003 may be over but project leader, Colin Pillinger remains undaunted.

Join him at the Royal Society as he discusses the scientific and emotional legacy of Beagle 2 and Mars Express and his plans for a new voyage to the Red Planet. Admission is FREE and on a first come, first served basis - no ticket or advance booking required.

You can also watch this special event live on the internet from www.royalsoc.ac.uk/live.

For further information contact:
The Royal Society
6-9 Carlton House Terrace, London SW1Y 5AG Tel +44 (0)20 7451 2575/6 Fax: +44 (0)20 7451 2693
email: events@royalsoc.ac.uk

I'll be popping down from Leicester for sure. Anyone else planning on going - a Beagle 2 wake at the pub afterwards before I catch a 10:30ish train home?

Doug
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DavidVicari
post Mar 4 2004, 11:34 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 14

Just out of curiosity, what's your opinion on future UK mars missions. Should they send a bunch of Beagle 2 type vehicles on one launch or should the create a completely new design?

I don't know much about UK politics, what are the odds they will get government funding for another Mars mission?

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 4 2004, 12:31 PM
Post #3

Founder

Unlikely to get any funding - certainly not as much as say, £10m.

It's something of a disgrace imho. This Country is about 20% the size of the US, and whilst the US Space budget is approx $15b a year, the UK space budget ( which, proportionally should be about $3billion) - is infact, $100m. 0.6% the size of the US budget, from a population 20% the size.

Anyhoo - what I'd like to see is a US/ESA colaboration for the '07 time frame to include a Relay orbiter (including optical comms testing) which carries perhaps 2 Beagle " 2.1's" - perhaps of 100kg all up weight instead of the very harsh 60kg set by Esa

I dont believe there is anything wrong with the Beagle design itself, but it's EDL hardware could be more robust - and that is where the mass should be spent ( and perhaps a more able battery )

I am sure that a relay facility could be built of around 800kg including fuel - which could (on an eliptical orbit) deploy multilple landers after orbit insertion. A 1000kg payload to mars is within the ability of Soyuz or Delta II Heavy.

And - as learnt with MPL - we MUST have EDL telemetry, be it via an orbiter, or DTE. Without it - we can learn nothing from the failures of spacecraft arriving at mars.

Doug

+Quote Post
DavidVicari
post Mar 4 2004, 01:07 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 14

During the recent mars water news conference they mentioned they were still trying to decide what instruments to put on MSL and other future NASA/JPL landers. I think another good collaboration could be between JPL and the Beagle 2 team. from what I've read, Pillinger and his team were extremely good at making light weight instruments. JPL should consider using some of the instruments like the gas analysis package or maybe allow Pillinger to make proposals for new instruments.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 7 2004, 11:30 PM
Post #5

Founder

Certainly an olption I'd have thought. Bolt the entire PAW onto MSL biggrin.gif

Anyone going tomorrow?

Doug

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:31 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.