IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Text Adverts, UMSF members opinion required
UMSF revenue by Text Adverts
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 50
Guests cannot vote 
djellison
post Dec 31 2006, 11:02 AM
Post #1

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

We've been approached by an online advertising firm who offered what I think is a good fixed monthly sum to put some text ads at the bottom of every page. They will generate, at the current rate, slightly more than the 'measurable' UMSF running costs (hosting, forum lic), and with the need to upgrade the hosting package never far away, this is about the right sort of level I was hoping to generate.

As many of you will know, I have always been reluctant to do the 'cap-in-hand' routine and would rather UMSF paid for itself than surviving on a combination of my wallet and member generosity.

These new ads are now to be found at the bottom of UMSF - and I would like members to cast their opinion. They'll be here for one month - and depending on the outcome of this vote, they will remain or be removed at the end of that period. Give yourself a day or two to see them (they're dynamic) before making a call.

If you want to pass a more detailed response, drop me a private message or an email or chuck a message into this thread.

Cheers

Doug
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
nprev
post Dec 31 2006, 09:27 PM
Post #2

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Sure, man. smile.gif BTW, like the new spacecraft logo in the banner...looks a lot like NH circa 2016 or so...

Also, quick correction: I'm running Java 1.5.0_09 (took me awhile to find it in IE 7).

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- djellison   Text Adverts   Dec 31 2006, 11:02 AM
- - Bob Shaw   Doug: They're invisible and thus utterly harm...   Dec 31 2006, 01:24 PM
- - Tesheiner   They are so subtle/"invisible" that I wa...   Dec 31 2006, 02:09 PM
- - MarkL   I voted yes as I think they are fine. And the con...   Dec 31 2006, 04:00 PM
- - brianc   Sounds like a good revenue stream to me Doug, can...   Dec 31 2006, 04:50 PM
- - dvandorn   As long as they remain these tiny little links tha...   Dec 31 2006, 05:30 PM
- - nprev   I think it's fine, Doug, and congratulations; ...   Dec 31 2006, 09:03 PM
|- - helvick   Doug - they are completely unobtrusive as far as I...   Jan 1 2007, 12:36 AM
|- - nprev   Yeah, for some reason I'm not getting the Java...   Jan 1 2007, 02:21 AM
- - djellison   I'll fwd those comments onto the ad company ( ...   Dec 31 2006, 09:12 PM
- - nprev   Sure, man. BTW, like the new spacecraft logo in ...   Dec 31 2006, 09:27 PM
|- - djellison   QUOTE (nprev @ Dec 31 2006, 09:27 PM) lik...   Dec 31 2006, 09:31 PM
- - ddeerrff   Completely unobtrusive. Keep them.   Dec 31 2006, 10:12 PM
- - tasp   If not for this thread, I would never have noticed...   Jan 1 2007, 02:08 PM
|- - centsworth_II   QUOTE (tasp @ Jan 1 2007, 09:08 AM) If no...   Jan 1 2007, 05:01 PM
- - tasp   In any regard, keep the Borat one!   Jan 1 2007, 02:10 PM
- - CosmicRocker   No problem on this end.   Jan 9 2007, 06:38 AM
- - climber   If all adds would be as discrete as those ones ...   Jan 9 2007, 07:04 AM
- - ustrax   Fine with me...   Jan 9 2007, 08:59 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:49 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.