Reply to this topicStart new topic
New Horizons Jupiter Encounter
elakdawalla
post Jan 18 2007, 11:18 PM
Post #16

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Did anyone else watch the press conference? I was sitting in my living room waiting for it to show up on NASA TV, but NASA TV resolutely continued showing archival footage of Apollo 11 up to and past 10 am. I ran to the NASA website and discovered that the press conference was being carried not on their "Public channel" but on their "media channel" -- I guess they now have two channels, which may allow them to put out more stuff, but DirecTV doesn't carry their media channel! Fortunately I figured it out in time and got a good stream on the media channel to watch it on my computer. That was scary for a minute, though.

I've blogged the conference, but didn't mention one thing I found annoying -- a graphic showing New Horizons' speed through the encounter, which used only Imperial units. Of course American missions have to use Imperial units when they address the public, but it's irksome when they don't also include metric. I redrew the graphic with metric units, but didn't wind up using it for the blog, so I'll post it here.

--Emily
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
helvick
post Jan 18 2007, 11:31 PM
Post #17

Dublin Correspondent

Member No.: 220

Helluva rollercoaster ride that. smile.gif

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jan 18 2007, 11:44 PM
Post #18

Administrator

biggrin.gif Indeed...I guess New Horizons is now entering that part of the roller coaster ride that goes "tick-tick-tick-tick-tick-tick" up the first big hill...

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
yaohua2000
post Jan 18 2007, 11:46 PM
Post #19

Group: Members
Member No.: 526

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jan 19 2007, 07:18 AM) *
Did anyone else watch the press conference? I was sitting in my living room waiting for it to show up on NASA TV, but NASA TV resolutely continued showing archival footage of Apollo 11 up to and past 10 am. I ran to the NASA website and discovered that the press conference was being carried not on their "Public channel" but on their "media channel" -- I guess they now have two channels, which may allow them to put out more stuff, but DirecTV doesn't carry their media channel! Fortunately I figured it out in time and got a good stream on the media channel to watch it on my computer. That was scary for a minute, though.

I've blogged the conference, but didn't mention one thing I found annoying -- a graphic showing New Horizons' speed through the encounter, which used only Imperial units. Of course American missions have to use Imperial units when they address the public, but it's irksome when they don't also include metric. I redrew the graphic with metric units, but didn't wind up using it for the blog, so I'll post it here.

--Emily

I think it would be better to be km/s. I can't read km/h for celestial bodies, can you? blink.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 18 2007, 11:48 PM
Post #20

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I missed it totally ( hope spaceflightnow.com put it up soon ) - but read on the blog that John was kind enough to mention (although thankfully for slashdot like reasons, not by name) the contribution some members here made in finding some nice Kodak moments smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Jan 18 2007, 11:56 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 15

I will point out that in the "NASA Gallery" segments on NASA-TV during overnights, they often replay recent press conferences. Sometimes over and over.

So, it's quite possible that those with access to NASA-TV will be able to catch the press conference at some point this evening (or in the wee hours of tomorrow morning) in replay.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jan 19 2007, 12:02 AM
Post #22

Administrator

Here you go, a minute and a half from the conference of John Spencer acknowledging the amateurs, recorded with my cruddy little voice recorder. Enjoy. smile.gif

--Emily
Attached File(s)
Attached File  20070118_new_horizons_press_conf.mp3 ( 347.96K ) Number of downloads: 1668

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Jan 19 2007, 01:30 AM
Post #23

Guests

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jan 18 2007, 11:18 PM) *
--Emily

This happened to me.. I missed the first 8 minutes because I thought it had been canceled, then found the "media channel"

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jan 19 2007, 10:13 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 523

Umm... is there a link to the native resolution version of that cool Jupiter and Io image? What's the point of providing a magnified "hi-res" image like that? If one were writing a wish-list, I'd put lossless PNGs as well, but let's not get greedy here biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
climber
post Jan 19 2007, 10:24 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 682

That's the advantage of NOT been able to get NasaTV other than with my computer biggrin.gif
I watched most of the conference and I liked it very much. People were both very present and quite relaxed, just enjoying the conference and the start of the fly by; very confident in the plans as well as in the spacecraft. I realized that quite a part of the encounter has been developped pretty late. Did I get correctly when Alan said that they'll push NH capabilies during Jupiter fly by even MORE than it'll be pushed when it'll get to Pluto?
Go NH, go ( wheel.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jan 19 2007, 04:38 PM
Post #26

Administrator

In some senses, Alan said, they were pushing the spacecraft: they have twice as many observations planned for the Jupiter flyby as for their current straw-man Pluto plan (each observation may consist of multiple measurements). He said that based upon the spacecraft's performance, they may increase or reduce the number of observations at Pluto. However, there are some things they'll be doing at Pluto that they won't at Jupiter. For instance, the Pluto plan will have "retargetable" blocks, points in the science plan where the science team can optionally choose different observations, depending upon what they see during approach. They didn't have time to plan that sort of thing for Jupiter.

--Emily

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 19 2007, 04:42 PM
Post #27

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

It is on Spaceflightnow.com as a MOV now (I don't know what I'd do without my subscription to that place) - I wonder how many kodak hendric moments made it into the sequencing.

Doug

+Quote Post
Littlebit
post Jan 19 2007, 07:44 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 1041

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jan 18 2007, 04:18 PM) *

Is the date in Greenwich, NY, Texas or Pasadena 'units' unsure.gif

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jan 19 2007, 08:01 PM
Post #29

Administrator

That's a good question. It would seem unlikely that such a graph would be anything but spacecraft time, which would be UT, but I don't actually know.

--Emily

--------------------

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Jan 19 2007, 08:21 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 321

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jan 19 2007, 08:38 AM) *
For instance, the Pluto plan will have "retargetable" blocks, points in the science plan where the science team can optionally choose different observations, depending upon what they see during approach. They didn't have time to plan that sort of thing for Jupiter.

--Emily

That's interesting. Of course, Jupiter has already been the subject of six spacecrafts' imagery and is an easy target for HST, so for the most part, there wouldn't be the same call for change of plan -- a big Io eruption withstanding.

Making last-minute calls during the Pluto encounter could be a gritty affair. Given two alternatives, whatever you choose NOT to observe is going to remain unknown for a long time. Unlike the MERs, you can't sit still for an arbitrary amount of time and hash it out by committe. No pressure on the mission team, though!

+Quote Post

30 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:52 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.