Reply to this topicStart new topic
HAPS-1, UMSFB1 redux
djellison
post Aug 6 2008, 07:35 PM
Post #16

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I actually bought some AAA powered gloves - it's a thought for next-time around smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 7 2008, 12:20 AM
Post #17

Founder

OK - no video I"m afraid. The hacked firmware for that just isn't working, and I want an all-night test running just stills. If a miracle happens and I get some CHDK help in the next 24 hrs I may change my mind on this, but it's unlikely...I'd rather be confident of good stills.

Currently - the sequence is this

8 stills ( which takes 30 secs)
Sleep 30s
repeat.

Tomorrow - I decide to use or not use the .45x wide angle adaptor, and placement, if any, of the wide angle mirror.

D

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Aug 7 2008, 12:24 AM
Post #18

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

You need more sleep than that or you're going to look like Stu the night he was out partying with John Spencer.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 7 2008, 12:56 AM
Post #19

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

I'm tellin' ya, Dan...nobody needs to sleep in the UK, they just do fun stuff all the time! Still thinking of emigrating. smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
mps
post Aug 7 2008, 06:54 AM
Post #20

Group: Members
Member No.: 3964

QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 6 2008, 01:16 PM) *
The first, third and last of those has been enough for similar flights in the past.

As it is flight-proven design, I have no doubts anymore smile.gif

Doug, you as a PI of imaging system should set a good example for ESA and publish the images as soon as you get them - and they better be raw images, not JPEG-s tongue.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 7 2008, 07:15 AM
Post #21

Founder

It'll be JPG's - and they'll be going online as soon as I can get them there. If everything is nominal, then Sat night.

An overnight test with Lithium AA cells, had the script running for 5 hrs, taking 2023 images, before filling the card and stopping, and the battery is still going strong.

Doug

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 7 2008, 03:52 PM
Post #22

Founder

Two week pushback to - Aug 23rd. Short term forecast is for high ground winds - which are not good for launching on Sat.

It means I can do more testing, possibly get a 2nd camera in there, etc etc.

+Quote Post
imipak
post Aug 7 2008, 06:57 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 617

What're the chances of getting video working in the two weeks? Loved their site, BTW, especially the flight control software ("avionics"?) written in Perl. Another frontier falls to the camel! smile.gif

Quite a few of the earlier flights met a watery end, presumably you wouldn't be considering risking a second camera if you thought this was likely - is it just a case of moving the launch site west, or is the "cut down box" smaller? And a silly idea which I'm sure you've considered, I'm just wondering what the catch is: how about a camera facing vertically down with a fisheye lens?

It's fascinating stuff, thanks for posting it here.

--------------------
--
Viva software libre!

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 20 2008, 11:34 PM
Post #24

Founder

The video now works smile.gif MASSIVE Kudos to CHDK guru Dave Mitchell who sorted out an A560 firmware for me that works.

We hope to go this Sat - forecast looks quite good smile.gif

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Aug 20 2008, 11:36 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 197

Do you have a Twitter account set up for it? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 21 2008, 12:28 AM
Post #26

Founder

Yeah, it's getting a bit crazy with every single thing having a twitter acount and tweeting at other tiny things...

it's here : http://spacenear.us/tracker/

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 21 2008, 05:40 PM
Post #27

Founder

Decision made on extra 'goodness'. I'm going to play chicken. No wide angle lens, no mirror. Just the camera, as it is, pointing straight out. Better is the enemy of good enough and all that jazz.

It's 320x240x15fps movies ( 10s ) then 5 stills, looping at about 1 minute intervals.

It's out in the garden right now running a loop with trees and sky to look at for a couple of hours, inside its housing.

On the day, we'll be launching from Churchill College on the west end of Cambridge.

+Quote Post
JTN
post Aug 21 2008, 10:37 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 563

QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 21 2008, 06:40 PM) *
On the day, we'll be launching from Churchill College on the west end of Cambridge.

Are spectators welcome?

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 21 2008, 11:26 PM
Post #29

Founder

I wouldn't recommend it - for a reason I can now brilliantly demonstrate....

We've pushed back to Sunday, because the bubble of still air that we were hoping to release in to has decided to take it's time arriving. A Sat predict has changed from a nice flight about 40 miles east, to about 80 miles south. The Sunday predicts are now better than the Sat predicts ever were - with a 40km E flight to about Thetford area.

Chances are - it'll get shuffled again one way or the other, and it's hard enough organising the launch team smile.gif Best bet is to follow along here : spacenear.us/tracker/ : we'll twitter, hopefully uStream, probably live-track the flight.

Doug

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 23 2008, 07:39 PM
Post #30

Founder

Right - less than 24 hrs to go

Keep an eye on http://spacenear.us/tracker/ tomorrow morning - hoping to launch at 1000-1100 UK time ( so 0900-1000 GMT )

Current predict from the Wyoming uni website ( http://weather.uwyo.edu/polar/balloon_traj.html ) is to a few miles west or Norwich ( attached )

Just packing all the kit and tools we might need before getting a reasonably early night - I leave at 0700 tomorrow to get down there.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  balloon_13.kml ( 4.46K ) Number of downloads: 517

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:07 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.