Closed TopicStart new topic
Dawn approaches Vesta, Approach phase, 3 May to 16 July 2011
Phil Stooke
post Jun 18 2011, 02:35 PM
Post #211

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

Don't forget the phase angles - HST images show a small phase angle (that's a measure of how much is in shadow - small phase angle = nearly a fully illuminated phase), Dawn is showing a larger one. If you think of this face of Vesta with a chunk on the left side in shadow, you'll get a better idea of its true shape.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 18 2011, 08:15 PM
Post #212

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Jun 18 2011, 06:06 AM) *
And by "bumpy" I mean large observable orbit perturbations caused by unevenly distributed mass.

Yeah, no doubt. I was thinking that south polar passes might be particularly interesting; not sure if that honkin' big crater left just a divot, or also deposited an equally honkin' big mascon. (Might be a major clue about the nature of the impactor, as well as its impact velocity.)

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jun 18 2011, 08:20 PM
Post #213

Member No.: 197

I's say it was completely shattered by that impact and reassembled over time.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 18 2011, 08:23 PM
Post #214

If it was shattered and reassembled there would not be a south polar crater!

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jun 18 2011, 08:29 PM
Post #215

I'd say it was NEARLY completely shattered by that impact and reassembled over time. rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 18 2011, 08:53 PM
Post #216

Nice recovery!

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Jun 18 2011, 11:16 PM
Post #217

Member No.: 590

I took a look at the Dawn Mission's simulated view of Vesta: http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/orbits/fullview4.jpg

Even at just 130,000 miles away, it still doesn't look like anything special. In hindsight, I guess it would have been nice if they had a simulated view through the framing camera. This slow-motion approach is really a different experience in a lot of ways.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jun 19 2011, 01:40 AM
Post #218

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

My guess of a comparision between a still image from the Hubble rotation movie (PIA13427) and the June 14 image:

Attached Image

If so, then just about to come into rotation is that big dark crease.

(I still think this looks like a really big echinoid. It'll be nice to see craters and other distinguishing features for orientation.)

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jun 19 2011, 02:02 AM
Post #219

Administrator

Member No.: 454

It's not only the slow approach that makes this one strange, it's the sheer size of Vesta. For any of the other asteroids we've ever seen, Dawn would still be looking at pretty much just a point of light right now.

(Of course, if we were visiting a smaller asteroid, the FC would probably have been designed with a narrower FOV, but hopefully you get my point...)

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
tek_604
post Jun 20 2011, 02:07 PM
Post #220

Member No.: 4327

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jun 18 2011, 07:00 AM) *
I just want to point out that it's really bizarre that this photo, from a JPL mission, has been released on the imaging team's website but is nowhere to be found on the Dawn mission site or in Photojournal. JPL is usually so together and organized, everything shows up everywhere nearly simultaneously, so this is really anomalous. However it got out, I'm very happy! There's still not a lot to see, just enough to see that there's a lot more to be seen....

As I understand things, this is because the agreement is that we (the MPS FC Team) can release an image, and JPL can release their choice of an image. To be honest, I can't remember if they are the same image, just processed differently, or if they are two different images. The processing differs between the two teams. We're better, obviously laugh.gif

Either way, gives you guys two images a week, rather than one, so stop complaining wink.gif

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Jun 20 2011, 02:13 PM
Post #221

Member No.: 590

QUOTE (tek_604 @ Jun 20 2011, 07:07 AM) *
. . . so stop complaining wink.gif

That'll be the day! But we do like the camera.

--Greg :-)

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jun 20 2011, 03:52 PM
Post #222

QUOTE (tek_604 @ Jun 20 2011, 07:07 AM) *
so stop complaining wink.gif

How about if they are ALL released like MER, Cassini and Phoenix. There'll be no complaints then

--------------------

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post Jun 20 2011, 09:34 PM
Post #223

Member No.: 627

NASA Hosts Briefing To Preview Spacecraft Visit Of Large Asteroid

NASA will host a news briefing at 2 p.m. EDT on Thursday, June 23, to discuss the Dawn spacecraft's year-long visit to the large asteroid Vesta.
NASA Television and the agency's website will broadcast the event.

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2011/jun/H...Dawn_Visit.html

Craig smile.gif

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jun 20 2011, 10:12 PM
Post #224

Member No.: 5221

That's as good an opportunity as any to show some new images. Will be tuning in...

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jun 20 2011, 10:33 PM
Post #225

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

With the greatest of respect - and I do appreciate there are challenges and problems for the DAWN Outreach team to tackle - I just can't get all woo-hooey over the prospect of two images a week, not when I can go to the MER or CASSINI sites and see dozens of new images each day. That's the way things are done now. You need to join the rest of us in 2011! laugh.gif

If any of the DAWN team are looking in (and I know you're busy guys, seriously) can I suggest you wander over to the following thread:

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=6990

...and see what people can do when you release your images? We're not just asking because we're greedy and impatient, or because we feel we have some god-given right to them. We can use them to create just *incredible* portraits, and movies, and visions, which you yourselves can use, which people Out There will see and think "Wow! That's amazing!!" and get excited about the spacecraft and the team that took them. It's a no-brainer, really it is. smile.gif

I'm confident we'll see some more images at the media event too, Dan; it would be a perfect opportunity to amaze everyone!

--------------------

+Quote Post

29 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 17 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:35 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.