3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
The major science stories from Spirit
marsophile
post Nov 1 2010, 04:23 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 4338

Anyone wear a Spirit costume for Halloween?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Nov 1 2010, 04:36 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 4270

laugh.gif !

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 23 2011, 04:15 PM
Post #33

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

This isn't really the best thread for this post, but I'm not sure it needs a new thread now.

I am finishing up work on my Mars Atlas vol. 1 (up to Mars Express) and looking ahead at Vol. 2 (MER to present). All the text is done in draft form, so it's illustrations I am looking at. This is an experimental version of a map of early Spirit operations. The whole route would be mapped at larger scale (lower resolution) but sites of interest will be covered like this.

Placenames are a problem. They were for Phoenix as well. Supposedly, they are accessible via the Analyst's Notebook at PDS, but that is filled with inconsistencies, with uncertainty regarding the identity of the named feature, etc. And looking ahead, I see that later in the mission most names are omitted from the Analyst's notebook.

(Mission Ops people! Do us a favor, please keep and make available a proper record of the names you assign!)

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
MoreInput
post Apr 23 2011, 06:09 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 5156

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Apr 23 2011, 05:15 PM) *
I am finishing up work on my Mars Atlas vol. 1 (up to Mars Express) and looking ahead at Vol. 2 (MER to present). All the text is done in draft form, so it's illustrations I am looking at. This is an experimental version of a map of early Spirit operations. The whole route would be mapped at larger scale (lower resolution) but sites of interest will be covered like this.

Wonderfull news. I really like maps, and I really like this mission. Is there any release date of this Mars atlas?

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Apr 23 2011, 05:15 PM) *
Placenames are a problem. They were for Phoenix as well. Supposedly, they are accessible via the Analyst's Notebook at PDS, but that is filled with inconsistencies, with uncertainty regarding the identity of the named feature, etc. And looking ahead, I see that later in the mission most names are omitted from the Analyst's notebook.

Yes, I tried to make a list of the analyzed objects for Wikipedia. A full list of analyzed object would be useless, and which object would be really relevant to know about? So I gave up this list.

--------------------
Need more input ...

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 23 2011, 06:22 PM
Post #35

I will submit it to the publisher at the end of this year for release late next year.

Phil

http://publish.uwo.ca/~pjstooke/marsatlas.htm

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Apr 23 2011, 10:04 PM
Post #36

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Apr 23 2011, 09:15 AM) *
Placenames are a problem...

I'm curious how you're going about trying to figure out place names, in the absence of good historical records, because periodically I have to try to go back and figure out what something was called (or, more commonly, do the reverse action, finding an image of a place knowing only its name). I would usually begin by looking at the Pancam database to see if there was a targeted observation of the place of interest, at the rover updates on the mission website to see if it was mentioned in there, and at Salley's stories. Where else can you locate this information? Also, on MER there's a distinction between named locations and objects, and the names for the specific spots at those locations or objects where in-situ observations were made -- I hope you're not trying to track down all the names for those?

This information is surely in some JPL database somewhere. I'd guess that if you had a specific set of things that were stumping you, a rover driver might be able to dig around and answer your questions, but that list could get kind of long for a 7-year mission....

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 23 2011, 10:21 PM
Post #37

Here are the Analysts' notebooks:

http://an.rsl.wustl.edu/mer/

And here are the site maps:

http://an.rsl.wustl.edu/mer/merbrowser/bro...=map&m=MERA

Select a site, play with the map dimensions, and you get a map of named features.

You're right, I don't want every name, and I am mainly looking for names of objects like a rock or hollow, not a remote-sensing or IDD target. But it's not always easy to tell which object a name refers to.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marz
post Apr 3 2014, 03:34 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 482

Evidence for a Noachian-aged ephemeral lake in Gusev crater, Mars

summary: alteration of Comanche is consistent with low-temperature evaporites from near-surface water-rock solutions and equivalent to nearby Algonquin outcrops.

http://geology.gsapubs.org/content/42/4/359.abstract

+Quote Post
MoreInput
post Apr 8 2014, 05:35 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 5156

QUOTE (Marz @ Apr 3 2014, 04:34 PM) *
Evidence for a Noachian-aged ephemeral lake in Gusev crater, Mars

Here the paper from lpsc of 2014: http://www.hou.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2014/pdf/1739.pdf

--------------------
Need more input ...

+Quote Post
xflare
post Apr 21 2014, 12:33 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 84

Just wondering here unsure.gif , but if mission planners had Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter - HiRISE and CRISM data in particular available to them when they were selecting a landing site for Spirit, do you think they would have selected a different site to Gusev Crater?

+Quote Post
djellison
post Apr 21 2014, 01:39 PM
Post #41

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

That's a virtually unplayable and pointless game of what-if. The majority of the MER landing site selection process was driven by engineering anyway.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:47 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.