Spirit - 2010 Winter@Troy, The first stationary science campaign
briv1016
post Apr 3 2011, 05:28 AM
Post #301

Group: Members
Member No.: 3982

From the latest MER Update:

http://www.planetary.org/news/2011/0331_Ma...te_Spirits.html

A "death" announcement could come as early as late April, said Callas. That, however, is not a hard and fast estimate. "Obviously, at some point you've got to say, 'Okay, we've done our due diligence.' And we're getting close. The thing is, as with so many of these technical issues, as you go into it [the new strategies], you discover new things," he pointed out. "So right now around April 20 is when we will finish the last set of combination failure recovery commands, and then there are some less likely scenarios things we'll try. But, we may learn something in the next couple of weeks and there may be something else we want to try beyond those."

The new strategies will continue in earnest until about May 2; thereafter, the team will continue a low-level of recovery activity through the end of the calendar Earth year.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
briv1016
post Apr 9 2011, 07:05 AM
Post #302

Member No.: 3982

Today is Mars Solstice; though the period for maximum sunlight was a few weeks ago for Spirit's latitude.

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Apr 13 2011, 03:49 PM
Post #303

Member No.: 4338

Suppose the battery has degraded to the point where it will no longer hold a charge. There might still be a possibility of contacting the rover during the time of Sol when it is directly powered by the solar panels. I wonder if the current search plans have taken account of this possibility?

+Quote Post
eoincampbell
post Apr 14 2011, 05:14 AM
Post #304

Member No.: 3511

I really think there is power in the battery and she just can't pick up ..... yet

--------------------
'She drove until the wheels fell off...'

+Quote Post
Zeke4ther
post Apr 22 2011, 12:19 AM
Post #305

Member No.: 529

I was just wondering, are we not beginning the season when cleaning events are most likely to occur?
dd.gif
Just thinking that too much dust might be part of the problem. unsure.gif

--------------------
-- Robin

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Apr 25 2011, 10:59 PM
Post #306

Member No.: 116

You're partially correct. Spirit experienced multiple, repeated cleaning events beginning about the time it arrived at Troy and became embedded. According to Mars24, that was late Martian Spring and early Summer. It is now early Summer in the Martian Southern Hemisphere, so we might expect cleaning events have been taking place for a while. Let's hope that the crucial cleaning will occur any day now.
dd.gif pancam.gif dd.gif

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 1 2011, 10:16 PM
Post #307

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Sounds like a sensible strategy. The door's gonna stay open for what I'd estimate as an appropriate period.

If it is in fact over...it sure was one hell of a great ride. Rarely has the naming of names been so spot-on; Spirit is/was nothing if not 100% exp n the best of what the human spirit and mind can accomplish. She is immortal, regardless, for as long as there will be a human race...and someday millions will see her wherever she may finally lie.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post May 2 2011, 01:34 AM
Post #308

Member No.: 590

QUOTE (nprev @ May 1 2011, 03:16 PM) *
If it is in fact over...

I think it's been over for a while. We all knew it had to end eventually. Spirit delivered far, far more than her designers ever dreamed possible. It's time to start planning a celebration of what was accomplished. And make that celebration a victory.

--Greg

+Quote Post
PaulM
post May 22 2011, 02:04 PM
Post #309

Member No.: 3233

I understand that commands sent to MER rovers contain a date and that MER rovers check that these dates are in a valid range. I understand that the original versions of the MER software considered a year beyond 2009 to be invalid. After all no one expected MER rovers to be running in 2010. I understand that the latest version of software in both MER rovers has been updated to accept a year of 2011.

I understand that there are two copies of the software in a MER rover: the most recent version and the previous version. I imagine that when a MER rover is booted, the checksum of the primary software image is checked and it it fails the previous version of the software is loaded in its place.

What I am wondering is whether the Flash memory containing the primary copy of the MER software in Spirit has failed and so the previous version is being run instead. From memory the previous version of the MER software in Spirit will not accept a year beyond 2009.

Is it possible that Spirit is rejecting all of the commands being sent to it because it regards the year as being invalid?

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post May 22 2011, 06:12 PM
Post #310

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (PaulM @ May 22 2011, 07:04 AM) *
I understand that there are two copies of the software in a MER rover: the most recent version and the previous version.

Fascinating theory, however assuming your facts are essentially accurate I would say the flaw in your reasoning is the assumption that the fallback "PREVIOUS version" is the same as the "ORIGINAL version" of the software.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
JayB
post May 23 2011, 02:39 PM
Post #311

Member No.: 4611

This http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/arch...28_A_torr_L.jpg has been forming in Pu'u'o'o crater at Kilauea.

Is this how Homeplate might have formed? Sure looks familiar in any case. (except the scale is all wrong. the sides of the uplifted section are probably 50-100' tall)

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post May 25 2011, 05:14 PM
Post #312

Member No.: 197

End of Mission posts moved here:
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...c=6969&st=0

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  « < 19 20 21
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:56 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.