7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Nova 8 / HAPS-D, Last minute bolt-on - sunrise from altitude
RJG
post Aug 30 2008, 09:48 PM
Post #91

Group: Members
Member No.: 492

Whilst I understand the issue of "stamp collectors" downloading everything and taking bandwidth from those who are going to do something useful with the images, JTN's index page does offer a different, and I think very interesting, perspective on this really exciting mission.

Scrolling down the page of thumbnails give a fascinating narrative of the whole mission, from set-up to landfall, in a way that selected images do not. In a strange way it is a little reminiscent of http://www.tenbyten.org.

It also enabled me to find one or two images of pre-dawn contrails against the pre-dawn sky. I suppose not surprising given that a major airway runs across the south of Essex from the VOR at Clacton towards Heathrow - albeit at a rather lower altitude smile.gif - but a nice catch all the same.

Really well done to all involved -can't wait to the next flight!

Rob

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 30 2008, 10:18 PM
Post #92

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (RJG @ Aug 30 2008, 10:48 PM) *
a fascinating narrative of the whole mission,

This is why I made this :

http://vimeo.com/1628991

Note, in the bottom right corner, you can download a MOV so you can scrub back and forth thru a med-res version of every still.

To be honest, I resent the very existence of the setup stills, they're eating SD card capacity before we launch and I could turn up the length of movies and number of stills if the payload didn't have to be prepared 30 mins or so before the launch. Hence, I don't include them in the movie versions.

+Quote Post
RJG
post Aug 30 2008, 11:04 PM
Post #93

Group: Members
Member No.: 492

Doug,

Yes, understand the frustration of wasted SD space. Clearly, some sort of switch on the outside of the flight package to turn the camera on at the last minute before launch would add complexity and a pretty obvious -and likely- failure mode.

What size are the camera image files with a lens cap in place? Obviously a JPEG of a completely black image should be smaller. Trouble is if the camera cranks up the gain and produces a noisy frame under these circumstances -then it makes for a larger file size! If the file size *was* significantly smaller with the lens capped you could attach a "remove before flight" banner to the lens cap (as with pitot tube covers on planes) to ensure that it was remove before flight and save yourself some memory.

What size SD care are you using?

Rob

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 31 2008, 09:12 AM
Post #94

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (RJG @ Aug 31 2008, 12:04 AM) *
What size SD care are you using?

The largest they'll take - 4GB

Doug

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:32 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.