IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Southward from San Antonio to the Next Waypoint
Zeke4ther
post Apr 2 2010, 03:38 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 529

It seems about the right time to start a new thread as we have now turned East to Endeavour.
Hope no one minds...

--------------------
-- Robin
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
22 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 99)
Astro0
post Apr 2 2010, 09:09 AM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

OT - but hooray! smile.gif
Oppy reaches the Sol 2200 milestone.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Apr 2 2010, 05:03 PM
Post #3

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

It's ok to move to a new thread but it should not be constrained by that artificial waypoint I created here. There's no ground feature at that point.
I would propose to keep this thead until the next science stop.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Apr 2 2010, 06:09 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 197

Based on James' latest ripple hazard map, we need to throw a party of some kind between here and that dogleg in the route to celebrate the end of the hazardous dunes. Let's hope we see a whole lot more 200 meter drives from here on out.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
BrianL
post Apr 2 2010, 06:36 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 721

I could be wrong, but I don't see them going back to 200 m drives ever again, even when Oppy hits nice flat tarmac. I thought they went to shorter drives for the sake of wheel longevity. I would be happy with 100 m drives, and a complete absence of attention-diverting cobbles between here and Endeavour.

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Apr 2 2010, 07:07 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 16

Yeah, I don't think we'll see anything much over 100m

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Apr 2 2010, 07:09 PM) *
pple hazard map[/url], we need to throw a party of some kind between here and that dogleg in the route to celebrate the end of the hazardous dunes.

Not only that, but if IIRC at about that dogleg, Oppy will be as far from Duck Bay as she was at Eagle Crater!

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Apr 2 2010, 08:34 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 4338

Does the lack of ripples in the green region imply a wind-sheltered area? If so, Oppy might be deprived of those beneficent Spring gusts to clean the accumulated dust off the Solar panels. In that case, it might be advisable to make haste in the traversal to Endeavour (balancing the power risk against the mobility risk).

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Apr 2 2010, 08:55 PM
Post #8

Not necessarily. As I recall Oppy's first cleaning events occurred back near Endurance. As I recall it was shortly after emerging from the crater but still on the nice clean tarmac up there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Bobby_*
post Apr 2 2010, 08:57 PM
Post #9

Guests

I think this new start to the drive from Twin Craters is going to be a long one without a stop to investigate
anything. I see nothing interesting for a while unless they spot something. I do hope we go 1 or 2 KM this time
before we do another science stop???

I do have one question: Is Stu a Comedian laugh.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post Apr 2 2010, 09:10 PM
Post #10

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

It is indeed kind of tempting to think that we're in "nothing to see here, move along" mode by now. Looks like transit time-wise we're probably still at least an Earth year away from the outskirts of Endeavour, though, and there's got to be a balance between science return during that period vs. the admittedly very exciting possibility of examining phyllosilicates at the end of this road.

Not an easy set of calls to make (it'll be an ongoing process). It's incumbent upon the MER team to make every day of Oppy's mission as scientifically productive as possible, and it's by no means guaranteed that she'll survive to reach Endeavour. Wonder if they're using any sort of systems optimization models to aid their decision making.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Apr 2 2010, 09:20 PM
Post #11

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Bobby @ Apr 2 2010, 09:57 PM) *
I do have one question: Is Stu a Comedian laugh.gif

Er...? blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fredk
post Apr 2 2010, 09:28 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 152

I think what's happened at San Antonio/Twins is a sign that it'll take a lot now for the team to decide on a long science stop. The Black Cat rock wasn't deemed worth a closer look. Perhaps they decided it was probably another iron meteorite and since we've studied several now, it wouldn't add much to study another.

On the other hand, I'm not sure about the exact timing of the 2199 drive away from San Antonio. Was that drive sequenced before or after the first navcams showing Black Cat came down? Could we be in another Block Island situation here?

Once and if the surroundings change significantly from what we've been seeing at Meridiani (perhaps roughly halfway to Endeavour??), then I could see more science stops to study the new stuff.

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Apr 2 2010, 09:40 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 4338

Concepción was interesting enough that we could have "eaten the lotus" there and stayed a long time. However we had our Odysseus (Squyres?) to force us back on to the path to Ithaca (as Rui used to call Endeavour). It will be difficult for any other potential stop to match Concepción in interest.

+Quote Post
climber
post Apr 2 2010, 09:46 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (marsophile @ Apr 2 2010, 11:40 PM) *
...It will be difficult for any other potential stop to match Concepción in interest.

Don't bet on that marsophile, we're on Mars...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Apr 2 2010, 11:16 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (marsophile @ Apr 2 2010, 10:34 PM) *
Does the lack of ripples in the green region imply a wind-sheltered area?

Or the opposite maybe? I would like to see that topographic picture provided by tim53 overlayed on James' terrain analysis map; I have the impression that the "green" area fits more or less with the downslope part of the route and we may have a direct-hit from the wind there.

On the other topic, and speaking of science stops, I think there have been two reasons for those: the first one has been already addressed here but the second is the periodic need to put the wheels to rest due to high currents. Given that the rover is currently power limited due to the winter so the drives are shorter and with recharging sols planned from time to time, we may have the luck to avoid those "technical stops" until the winter is over.

My 2c.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Apr 2 2010, 11:33 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 5221

So even if we find the ideal terrain, like at the landing site, there will still be no 'pre-Purgatory' style drives, correct? Even Oppy is showing her age...

+Quote Post
fredk
post Apr 3 2010, 03:21 AM
Post #17

Heading south next drive according to Maxwell.

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Apr 3 2010, 09:29 AM
Post #18

QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Apr 3 2010, 01:33 AM) *
So even if we find the ideal terrain, like at the landing site, there will still be no 'pre-Purgatory' style drives, correct? Even Oppy is showing her age...

Correct. Due to the stress on the RF wheel and also because right now there's not enough power for long drives.

And since we're talking about long drives, I think it's worth to mention Scott's blog on the rovers. Just in case there's anyone here not aware or not following that blog, the narration is currently right on those 'pre-Purgatory' days.

+Quote Post
brellis
post Apr 3 2010, 12:42 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 1700

thx for the pointer to Scott's blog smile.gif

+Quote Post
climber
post Apr 3 2010, 07:54 PM
Post #20

There's something I'm not sure to understand about the new AEGIS software uploaded recently. I understand that Oppy (& Spirit) can choose to image a rock by herself among other rocks but I'm not sure she can point a Marquette Island type of rock so Mission control could be aware she "saw" something (even during a sol drive) and re-scheduled following sol.
Somebody get an answer to this?
From A.J.S Rayl monthly report:
"Now, Opportunity can use AEGIS at stop points along a single sol's drive, or at the end of the drive, to identify and examine targets of interest that might otherwise be missed"

--------------------

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Apr 3 2010, 07:55 PM
Post #21

I already have it bookmarked, chiefly to wait for his reaction to the Day Everything Changed, if you know what I mean.

+Quote Post
SteveM
post Apr 3 2010, 09:10 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 675

QUOTE (climber @ Apr 3 2010, 02:54 PM) *
There's something I'm not sure to understand about the new AEGIS software uploaded recently. I understand that Oppy (& Spirit) can choose to image a rock by herself among other rocks but I'm not sure she can point a Marquette Island type of rock so Mission control could be aware she "saw" something (even during a sol drive) and re-scheduled following sol.
Somebody get an answer to this?
From A.J.S Rayl monthly report:
"Now, Opportunity can use AEGIS at stop points along a single sol's drive, or at the end of the drive, to identify and examine targets of interest that might otherwise be missed"

Here's a nice discussion of Aegis. From the description, I suspect they'd get some information about any autonomously programmed images fairly fast, but it's not clear whether it would be in time for scheduling the next SOL's activities

Steve M

+Quote Post
climber
post Apr 3 2010, 09:23 PM
Post #23

Thanks Steve, even if this doesn't answer my question, it worth reading.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Apr 3 2010, 10:17 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 1102

What AEGIS catches on a drive-by is the odd rock that its program finds interesting and takes 12 filter images, and the rover drives on. In the past, the next day scientists would see something in a navcam drive-by image and say, gee, that is an interesting rock, too bad we don't know its spectral characteristics, but it isn't (most of the time) worth going back to to get images. Now they have information on a rock they couldn't target without backtracking. Something like Marquette Island is the exception--where after the images come down, the decision is that it is so important that backtracking is necessary.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Apr 4 2010, 01:51 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 105

Agreed. I look at the AEGIS subroutine as a logical extension of the existing autonomous drive capability. Byte-wise, an interesting rock is no different than a hazard to avoid.

In a way, this gives Oppy a capability that has been lacking: the ability to make observations on the fly without grinding to a halt. A carbon-based geologist, while walking a traverse, will spot an interesting rock or outcrop feature in the distance and will slightly alter course to pass nearby for a closer look or keep going if it's not that unusual, all without losing much time. I've done it hundreds of times, and I'm sure it's still done today.

This leg of the traverse is getting into a different ripple regime, and with a change in elevation, a lower part of the geologic section, so the ability to look sharply around will be critical.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Apr 4 2010, 02:53 AM
Post #26

QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Apr 3 2010, 05:51 PM) *
A carbon-based geologist, while walking a traverse, will spot an interesting rock or outcrop feature in the distance and will slightly alter course to pass nearby for a closer look

... whereas a silicon based geologist just burns a hole through everything in its way and keeps on going.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Apr 4 2010, 06:11 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 116

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Apr 2 2010, 06:16 PM) *
Or the opposite maybe? I would like to see that topographic picture provided by tim53 overlayed on James' terrain analysis map; I have the impression that the "green" area fits more or less with the downslope part of the route and we may have a direct-hit from the wind there. ...

That sounded like an interesting proposal to me, so here it is...Tim's topographic contours on top of James's ripple map. I was not able to perfectly register the two maps through any simple combination of rotation and/or scale changes; so this result is my manual, best average registration. It is good enough, however, to show that Eduardo's hunch was correct. Very good questions remain. Is the downslope region devoid of large ripples because the wind is stronger or weaker there? We know most of the ripples don't move in the current wind regime, but perhaps the trend is the same even in the current wind regimen.
Attached Image

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
climber
post Apr 4 2010, 10:41 AM
Post #28

Looking it at a larger scale, it may be possible that the Endeavour ring, I mean the hills South East of the actual position could deflect the wind it the direction of the "green" area (this would mean that the dominant wind comes from the South East). It could also be the other way around: the eleavtion slowing down a dominant North West wind. Anyway, looking at CosmicRocker rendering, the ring elevation seams to have some effect.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Apr 4 2010, 03:05 PM
Post #29

The ripples are changing because of an increase in wind velocity.

When we reached Concepcion we noticed the presence of transverse dunes (ripples), which suggested either an increase in sand availability or an increse in wind velocity. I initially thought of an increase in sand supply since there is a great deal of weathering of the fragmented rock around the fresh crater, but as we traveled southward ("upwind") of the crater, the transverse dunes were still present and by the time we got to the older, weathered San Antonio craters, we also started seeing scalloping of sand on the ripple crests (erosion).

Concepcion was on the crest of a slight topographic high and the surface to San Antionio is essential flat or with a slight southward dip, and from the Tim Parker topo map, we see that the elevations decrease sharply to the south and southeast.

Air moving in a laminar flow at altitude encounters the hillside and since the cross-sectional flow area is decreased, the velocity will increase due to a venturi effect.

You can also see an increase in bare bedrock areas between here and "mini-Endurance", which I had hoped would be an indication of a change in lithology due to a drop in elevation, but, alas, appears to be less sand because of more wind...

Attached is a drawing illustrating the orographic effect, adapted from an earlier topo x-section by fredk.

--Bill
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
climber
post Apr 4 2010, 03:41 PM
Post #30

Thank you Bill.
I was talking of a venturi effect due to the Endeavour rim. Is this consistent with your explanation or not necessary?
Thanks

--------------------

+Quote Post
eoincampbell
post Apr 4 2010, 05:42 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 3511

Should we then, expect a cleaning event on the brae sometime soon?
Is the long trek actually possible without one?

--------------------
'She drove until the wheels fell off...'

+Quote Post
fredk
post Apr 4 2010, 05:58 PM
Post #32

It's worth keeping in mind that the upcoming drop down to Endeavour has a slope of only a percent or so. Meridiani is very flat. I'd be surprized if that gave much venturi effect, though I'm really not sure about this. I could see local features (craters) or large scale features (Endeavour rim) affecting the winds.

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Apr 4 2010, 08:48 PM
Post #33

QUOTE (fredk @ Apr 3 2010, 05:21 AM) *

It was executed some hours ago but I would call it "aborted" or so. The net move was just 1m.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Apr 4 2010, 09:19 PM
Post #34

Merciless Robot

Whups. Haven't had that happen for awhile, right?

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Apr 4 2010, 09:24 PM
Post #35

The Poet Dude

Word has it Oppy refused to move because the drive coincided with the last episode of "Wonders of the Solar System"... laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SFJCody
post Apr 5 2010, 09:06 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 12

unsure.gif Please don't be a dead wheel, please don't be a dead wheel...

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Apr 5 2010, 09:39 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 4270

Re: SFJCody'
Ahh fudge there went my whole day. sad.gif Guess I'm slacking off on the pessimism.

Unless we hear otherwise, I'm going to assume it was just a software glitch.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Apr 5 2010, 10:53 AM
Post #38

Guests

And this isnt a very interesting place to spend the rest of the mission, at least Spirit had something interesting to look at while stuck.

+Quote Post
PaulM
post Apr 5 2010, 11:02 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 3233

I asked Scott Maxwell the following question on his blog:

http://marsandme.blogspot.com/
I found Opportunity's rate of progress around SOL 400 amazing. I have heard rumours that Opportunity will soon reach easy driving country again. If so then will we be at Endeavour crater sooner than we all expect?

Scott's answer was:
We will indeed reach a nice flat zone in another kilometer or so. Once we're there, the terrain will again support longer drives, and we're looking into techniques to do those safely with the current hardware.

But what's currently constraining our progress is less the terrain and more the condition of the right front wheel: we're sticking to 70m/sol as a way to keep that wheel healthy, and if in fact we need to continue to do that, it won't matter how benign the terrain is. It wouldn't do us much good to cover 200m/sol for a few weeks, only to kill that wheel.

I should add that just now our progress is further constrained by the lower energy levels we're experiencing as a result of Martian winter's onset, but that will relax after solstice.

So, for now, you should figure that the flat terrain will still have a 70m/sol speed limit. We'd like to raise that limit just as much as you would, though, and we certainly will if we can!

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Apr 5 2010, 11:04 AM
Post #40

the upcoming drop down to Endeavour has a slope of only a percent or so. Meridiani is very flat. I'd be surprized if that gave much venturi effect, though I'm really not sure about this
Exactly. This effect is quite small and manifests itself as very subtle changes in the ripple morphology. Erosional/depositional processes are so gentle and can take hundreds or thousands of years to affect changes.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Apr 5 2010, 01:49 PM
Post #41

> So, for now, you should figure that the flat terrain will still have a 70m/sol speed limit. We'd like to raise that limit just as much as you would, though, and we certainly will if we can!

I can see that speed limit. smile.gif
Attached Image

+Quote Post
BrianL
post Apr 5 2010, 02:21 PM
Post #42

QUOTE (SFJCody @ Apr 5 2010, 04:06 AM) *
unsure.gif Please don't be a dead wheel, please don't be a dead wheel...

With Scott's talk of purgatoids lurking about, I'm wondering if we encountered some soft ripple and stopped from slippage. The last turn in place looked a bit... messy?

It would be nice to see the latest hazcams but as often seems to happen when something unusual occurs, exploratorium is late in delivering the goods. Coincidence? wink.gif

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Apr 5 2010, 02:47 PM
Post #43

As I recall the wheel current issues were somewhat alleviated by reversing driving direction now and then. I wonder if they have considered a pirouette kind of driving routine for long distances. The rover would drive 40 meters or so, stop and turn 180 degrees and resume driving in the other direction. While that might be hazardous around purgatoids, out on the flat plains it might make sense.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fredk
post Apr 5 2010, 03:50 PM
Post #44

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Apr 5 2010, 03:47 PM) *
As I recall the wheel current issues were somewhat alleviated by reversing driving direction now and then.
I think rest was found to be more important than reversing direction. Check out this post from Paolo.

Paolo's posts are a goldmine of information. In this one he mentions that RF currents drop substantially on bedrock. Perhaps we can expect some drop in current on flat tarmac compared with the current ripples? I'm thinking along the lines of Spirit's wheel resistance in Troy that was reduced when they did the swimming stroke motions? Of course Spirit's case was much more severe. But perhaps a reason to hope for slightly longer drives on the tarmac.

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Apr 5 2010, 04:02 PM
Post #45

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Apr 5 2010, 04:47 PM) *
I wonder if they have considered a pirouette kind of driving routine for long distances.

AFAIK, this kind of manouver was already executed during the long drives right after leaving Victoria. Once again, Paolo is the source.
The first 50 or 80m of a drive were covered moving backwards in "blind mode" and the remaining part moving forward in autonav.

+Quote Post
climber
post Apr 5 2010, 08:01 PM
Post #46

RF is durty but seems been working ok:
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
fredk
post Apr 5 2010, 08:29 PM
Post #47

That image is from the previous drive. On 2202 we perhaps dug into a dune enough to trigger an abort? Here's the F hazcam:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...NVP1211R0M1.JPG

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Apr 5 2010, 08:31 PM
Post #48

Climber, that's an old picture from about a week ago.
This is the latest fhazcam picture; in any case no visible problem.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
climber
post Apr 5 2010, 08:35 PM
Post #49

Sorry, 1 m drive, then abort, corresponded too much to what I though was the right one, so I didn't double checked.
Thanks for correcting.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Apr 5 2010, 09:05 PM
Post #50

FWIW, the next drive is on sol 2204 i.e. tomorrow.

+Quote Post
JayB
post Apr 6 2010, 12:51 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 4611

looks like we're ok

@marsroverdriver Oppy drove more like 1m than 50m this weekend: an "embedding detector" tripped. It's conservative; we're demonstrably not embedded. Onward!

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Apr 7 2010, 05:50 AM
Post #52

Still waiting for the latest pictures to confirm it but AFAIK yestersol drive covered just 1m once again. huh.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post Apr 7 2010, 05:58 AM
Post #53

Merciless Robot

Hmm. Well, if this is true, then at least the fault condition seems both predictable & consistent in its behavior. An incorrect flag trip setting (slope, wheel rotation vs. intertial distance traveled, something like that) or something with the new AEGIS capability?

Whatever it is, hopefully it won't to be too difficult to find with two occurrences to study now. Oppy's actually in a pretty good place (literally) at this time for debugging.

--------------------

+Quote Post
BrianL
post Apr 8 2010, 01:01 AM
Post #54

Attached Image

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Apr 8 2010, 03:23 AM
Post #55

QUOTE (nprev @ Apr 6 2010, 10:58 PM) *
.... or something with the new AEGIS capability?

That must be what it is. AEGIS keeps spotting these fascinating round rocks and wants to stop to examine them.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Apr 8 2010, 04:00 AM
Post #56

Woops! That would be more funny than annoying if it was true! Imagine what the mass media would say, if they cared.
wink.gif

+Quote Post
fredk
post Apr 8 2010, 04:07 AM
Post #57

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Apr 7 2010, 06:50 AM) *
Still waiting for the latest pictures to confirm it but AFAIK yestersol drive covered just 1m once again.

The latest official Oppy map confirms a very short drive on 2204.

It's tough without images, eh?

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Apr 8 2010, 03:58 PM
Post #58

Yup. I'm missing my daily fix. smile.gif
While waiting for today's drive (attempt), here's a GE snapshot with the last two steps compared with a normal 50m drive.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gonzz
post Apr 8 2010, 04:12 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 445

Maybe this second 1m drive was due to manouvering in order to cross the dune at a better spot

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Apr 8 2010, 05:20 PM
Post #60

Sure hope you are wrong. If we have to spend a few days manoeuvring around to cross any average dune, our progress toward Endeavour will be... hindered.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gonzz
post Apr 8 2010, 06:10 PM
Post #61

Member No.: 445

well... then maybe they want to take a close look at what exact conditions tripped the embedding detector so they can avoid more occurrences like these.
Guess I'm hoping all is right and just trying to think at positive scenarios.

Slow days like today at the forum mars section with no progress and no pictures really bring the marsaholic withdrawall synptoms to light and give a glimpse of what it'll be like once these wonders stop roving.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Apr 8 2010, 06:43 PM
Post #62

Administrator

Member No.: 454

Looking for something to do on Mars? Rove over the latest HiRISE releases, or, better yet, wander through the CTX archive (http://bit.ly/csbOd9) -- nobody is paying much attention to those and there are boatloads of stunning photos.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Nirgal
post Apr 8 2010, 09:58 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 223

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Apr 8 2010, 08:43 PM) *
Looking for something to do on Mars? Rove over the latest HiRISE releases, or, better yet, wander through the CTX archive

How true ... roving the HiRISE releases alone will keep me busy for the next 10 years at least wink.gif

+Quote Post
Geert
post Apr 9 2010, 12:07 AM
Post #64

Member No.: 4185

QUOTE (Gonzz @ Apr 9 2010, 01:10 AM) *
Guess I'm hoping all is right and just trying to think at positive scenarios.

see http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/sta...tml#opportunity

OPPORTUNITY UPDATE: Sharp Turns Make Driving Difficult - sols 2200-2204, April 2-6, 2010:
Opportunity had a couple of difficult moves this week.

After taking some time to recharge her batteries, the rover attempted a drive on Sol 2202 (April 4, 2010). That drive stopped after the initial arc turn due to elevated current draw in the motors on the right side of the rover. The rover is between two ripples with the space in between forming a bowl. The rover had to push harder on the right to make the sharp turn. Conservatively-set current limits stopped the drive, as a way for controllers on the ground to assess the driving conditions before proceeding.

With everything looking okay, another drive on Sol 2204 (April 6, 2010), was commanded. It too began with a short, sharp arc. This time the drive stopped after a short distance because of wheel slip exceeding the limit of 40 percent. Again ground controllers assessed the conditions and found no problems. With these sharp turns, the rover's wheels must impart more thrust. When the wheel thrust exceeds the shear strength of the terrain, slip occurs.

Opportunity will drive again on Sol 2206 (April 8, 2010). This time the rover is already aligned with the drive direction, so no sharp turns are needed. Extra slip checks will be performed to make sure there are no terrain issues. As of Sol 2204 (April 6, 2010), the solar array energy production was 235 watt-hours with an atmospheric opacity (tau) of 0.371 (from Sol 2199) and a dust factor of 0.500.

Total odometry is 20,247.56 meters (20.25 kilometers, or 12.58 miles).

+Quote Post
nprev
post Apr 9 2010, 12:24 AM
Post #65

Merciless Robot

smile.gif

Thanks, Geert. All is well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Apr 9 2010, 05:45 AM
Post #66

Yep. The drive was successful and 50m were covered during 2206. smile.gif
But the images are still unavailable. sad.gif

+Quote Post
climber
post Apr 9 2010, 07:31 AM
Post #67

IIRC, Spirit RF died right after a sharp turn. May be the problem has nothing to do with the sharp turn but, I still don't understand why we're still using this manoeuver instead of backing off a bit and use a smoother turn.
Sorry if my remark is a bit "sharp" (ok, I'm a back seat driver etc) but I've been afraid since march 12th 2006 using this manoeuver again. Is the current rise showing I've been right?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Apr 9 2010, 07:47 AM
Post #68

Guests

Its been offline for as long as 10 days before.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Apr 9 2010, 08:02 AM
Post #69

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (climber @ Apr 9 2010, 08:31 AM) *
backing off a bit and use a smoother turn.

Because a 'smoother' turn would involved ploughing straight thru the dunes. Remember, Opportunity has a stuck FR steering actuator - so turning in place is not idea.

+Quote Post
climber
post Apr 9 2010, 10:55 AM
Post #70

Yep, good point Doug!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Apr 11 2010, 08:54 AM
Post #71

Thread bump, althought there's not so much to discuss given the lack of images. The official website is not updating too so my guess it that the issue should be in the common feed from JPL (assuming that common point exists).

Meanwhile, just say that the drive on sol 2208 was executed and another 55m were added to the odometer. Here are some navcam thumbnails from the tracking website.
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

+Quote Post
briv1016
post Apr 11 2010, 10:01 AM
Post #72

Member No.: 3982

I was bored so I tried to eyeball the Navcam thumbnails in photoshop. It's pretty bad; I'm sure one of the resident experts can do a better job. (Hint, Hint. wink.gif )
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Apr 11 2010, 10:16 AM
Post #73

I did the same thing (similar result) to obtain a polar view and see if it was not too bad to use on "fine tuning" the rover position on the map. The mobility info from the tracking site is not perfect and usually there are a few meters difference wrt the position I get by means of mosaics registration on the map.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
alan
post Apr 11 2010, 03:18 PM
Post #74

Member No.: 110

I noticed that the pancam drive direction images are aimed to the east.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 11 2010, 04:14 PM
Post #75

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Yes, they just bypassed a clump of larger drifts.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Apr 11 2010, 04:19 PM
Post #76

Soon worries about drifts and dunes will be ancient memories.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SFJCody
post Apr 11 2010, 05:55 PM
Post #77

Member No.: 12

I'm pretty sure they're now closer to Endeavour than they've ever been before. The sol 1927 record is broken!

+Quote Post
MoreInput
post Apr 11 2010, 06:04 PM
Post #78

Member No.: 5156

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Apr 5 2010, 02:49 PM) *
I can see that speed limit. smile.gif

Driving on meridiani planum is difficult, so maybe some signs may help our brave rover drives.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Need more input ...

+Quote Post
BrianL
post Apr 11 2010, 07:09 PM
Post #79

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Apr 11 2010, 10:19 AM) *
Soon worries about drifts and dunes will be ancient memories.

Eeeeeee... that's on a par with saying that a goaltender is one minute away from a shutout. ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Apr 12 2010, 06:58 AM
Post #80

Member No.: 116

QUOTE (MoreInput @ Apr 11 2010, 12:04 PM) *
...maybe some signs may help...

That's a great idea. Pardon me, but I just had to add one more important warning. laugh.gif
Attached Image

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
antoniseb
post Apr 12 2010, 12:09 PM
Post #81

Member No.: 451

QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Apr 12 2010, 01:58 AM) *
I just had to add one more important warning.

Soft Shoulders

(The signs are all great! Let's roll!)

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Apr 12 2010, 04:17 PM
Post #82

But don' forget the most important thing-- The View...
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Apr 12 2010, 04:49 PM
Post #83

From here the view of the jpeg artifacts is among the best in the Solar System.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Apr 12 2010, 05:28 PM
Post #84

I think we are all seeing the effects of a missing daily fix of pictures. ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
alan
post Apr 12 2010, 06:02 PM
Post #85

Member No.: 110

All the signs littering the landscape reminds me of Spring 2020

+Quote Post
fredk
post Apr 12 2010, 07:48 PM
Post #86

The drought is over! Pics down up to 2208:

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...0M1.JPG?sol2208

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Apr 12 2010, 08:08 PM
Post #87

Ahh. Finally! smile.gif

This is a fhazcam from this last batch taken on sol 2206 where we can see the "sharp turns" from the last status report.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
fredk
post Apr 12 2010, 08:55 PM
Post #88

A few clouds in the sky on sol 2206:
Attached Image

Average of L5 and L6 frames.

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Apr 13 2010, 01:53 AM
Post #89

Some interesting stuff from http://twitter.com/marsroverdriver

"Driving went uncommonly smoothly today. That usually means I made a huge mistake somewhere."
"Tomorrow we do a nifty experiment that effectively uses Opportunity's mobility system as a soil-property sensor."
"Nothing particularly nearby... so I think stops will be less frequent for a while."
"Since we're hopping ripples (part of experiment), we check slip 2x as often in this drive. If we get stuck, it won't be bad. "

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Apr 13 2010, 02:27 AM
Post #90

Merciless Robot

Oh my God. They're letting Maxwell use her as a dune buggy!!! tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
BrianL
post Apr 13 2010, 03:20 AM
Post #91

The one I like is, "Monday, if all goes well, we cut east". Looking at GM, this does appear to be a good spot to go cross-ripple and get back to The Thin Blue Line ™. East is good. East, and not stopping for awhile. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Stu
post Apr 13 2010, 05:20 AM
Post #92

The Poet Dude

Bye bye San Antonio... you were a bit of a let-down if I'm honest, so glad to be on our way again...

Attached Image

What we want now is a really big hefty chunka star metal to appear up ahead of us... laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shaka
post Apr 13 2010, 05:24 AM
Post #93

Member No.: 618

...with a door in it. cool.gif

--------------------
My Grandpa goes to Mars every day and all I get are these lousy T-shirts!

+Quote Post
Stu
post Apr 13 2010, 05:52 AM
Post #94

The Poet Dude

tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Apr 13 2010, 11:25 AM
Post #95

Looking at GM, this does appear to be a good spot to go cross-ripple and...
Down here, we call this a whoop-tee-doo wheel.gif

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...DXP2410R1M1.JPG

East is good. East, and not stopping for awhile
But, remember, the Nav software can look for "interesting things" and stop for a look... tongue.gif

Ended up getting over 30 L257 Pancam sets yesterday, shows some interesting things about San Antone...

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post Apr 13 2010, 05:32 PM
Post #96

The Poet Dude

Fascinating features on the ground in this view... lovely wind-sculpting effects...

Attached Image

And Bill, here's your "whoop-tee-doo"...

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Apr 14 2010, 08:25 PM
Post #97

The images from yestersol 30m drive are finally down. Navcam pics here: http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...cam/2010-04-14/

And looking to this hazcam picture, my impression is that the ripples are becoming really small: http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...HLP1202L0M1.JPG

BTW, the move was SSE and not due E.

+Quote Post
Tman
post Apr 14 2010, 08:40 PM
Post #98

Member No.: 186

Wow, that was seemingly a pretty flat passage already!

--------------------

+Quote Post
briv1016
post Apr 14 2010, 10:33 PM
Post #99

Member No.: 3982

Have we switched to twice-a-day downlinks for memory clearing the past few days? huh.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post Apr 14 2010, 10:50 PM
Post #100

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Don't read too much into how and when images make it online - it is far far more likely that we're seing the downlink split across two of the batch processes that put the images online, rather than two downlinks.

+Quote Post

22 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 05:25 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.