Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL Descent and Landing - Remastering MARDI imagery
AdrianC
post Oct 7 2013, 05:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7010

Hello everybody.
I have been reading this forum for quite a while now (8 months+) but never got the nerve and data to actually contribute.
Let me start off by asking everybody two questions.

"What do you think about a high quality remasterization of MSL's MARDI descent and landing imagery?"

"Is it worth the effort having a higher resolution, higher frame rate version of the descent?"

Obviously i'm talking about a high quality remasterization (details will follow). My background is in digital visual effects (VFX) to be more specific 10 years in matchmoving, this involves advanced photogrammetry knowledge, and digital compositing.

Final results will be:
-a minimum horizontal resolution of 2.6K
-25 to 60 fps (TBD)
-derived telemetry overplayed on imagery and current stage (ex. heat shield separation, engines)
-original radio comms as sound.

I am aware of the fact that such attempts already exist (here). This is just a mere optic flow interpolation which dose not do any justice to the mission.

The simplified roadmap is:
-I will use HI-Rise data to create a digital elevation map then convert to a polygonal mesh
-Compute absolute position of each MARDI frame
-Camera project on the ground geometry a series of MARDI frames. Each temporal sample will contribute to a higher resolution image by stacking it on the ground geometry.
-Final rendering will be based ONLY on MARDI data. Interpolation between camera positions will be as physically accurate as possible.

This is no easy task, my estimate is about 40-100 hours of work minimum and lots of data missing.There will be some programming, some small tool developement. But since next month I will be out of a job (corporate financial problems) I thought I might ask you guys about the possible interest of this project.

PS If i posted in the wrong section, I ask the moderators to kindly help me.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sittingduck
post Oct 7 2013, 05:51 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 6784

You've got me real excited! As long as you avoid the one mistake all previous "enhanced" MARDI videos have made: wildly stretching contrast and throwing the colors out the window. If you need any 3d modelling done - of the heat shield for example - don't hesitate to ask me, I've got some experience with spaceflight hardware modelling and rendering.

Good luck! smile.gif

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Oct 7 2013, 05:54 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (AdrianC @ Oct 7 2013, 10:04 AM) *
This is no easy task, my estimate is about 40-100 hours of work minimum and lots of data missing.

At MSSS I've considered doing something similar, but I think this is an underestimate of the level of effort required, and IMHO perhaps past the point of diminishing returns. We have a better-interpolated version of the sequence than anything I've seen on youtube (but still done with optical flow), but I'm not sure when or if it will be released.

You will also find that the terminal descent part of the sequence, with its dust and flying rocks, is a completely different problem than the rest of the sequence (and managing the heat shield is also pretty different.)

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Zeke4ther
post Oct 8 2013, 06:32 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 529

Given your unique background, I would say, give it your best shot. You might surprise everyone.
At the very least you would have tried. smile.gif

--------------------
-- Robin

+Quote Post
xflare
post Oct 8 2013, 10:01 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 84

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Oct 7 2013, 06:54 PM) *
We have a better-interpolated version of the sequence than anything I've seen on youtube (but still done with optical flow), but I'm not sure when or if it will be released.

oh? Why's that?

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Oct 8 2013, 01:26 PM
Post #6

Many reasons, but mostly because it's old news at this point so there's little urgency, the approval process for us to release something is not completely straightforward, and there's some hope that the product could be improved -- for one thing, by inclusion of unreleased EDL telemetry as a graphic overlay or something.

Recall that the final Huygens descent movie wasn't released for something like 5 years after the event.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Oct 8 2013, 05:17 PM
Post #7

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

Also to the general public it will look exactly the same...

+Quote Post
AdrianC
post Oct 8 2013, 07:29 PM
Post #8

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

About the estimated work time, yes it might be completely erroneous. There are lots of bumps I have to deal with, mainly with the data formats. I will get right back here with a complete set of questions regarding PDS IMG format (I'm reading the documentation ).
In the mean time if anybody has a favorite reader / converter for PDS IMG imges please let me know.

Also I started running a few tests on how to deal with the dust we see during the terminal phase. Nothing concise yet. As mcaplinger stated this is a troublesome portion of the imagery. My first take - I will try not to use the dusty image sets and and use data from previous frames. This violates the commitment of using MARDI imagery only, because the dust must be added back somehow.

This is an animation of 4 frames, on the left the difference between a clean frame minus the luminance of each dusty frame. Result an enhanced image of the dust blown by the lander.
(Please note this was done on a compressed data set (old set of Jpegs), no lens distortion removed, no color look up table, no vignetting removed.)

@MahFL you are right. I'am well used to this. In my world all alterations done to sequence of images must be invisible. There are a lot of movies out there that have hundreds of hours of work, invisible work, mostly on removing unwanted objects left there during production just because someone forgot. Nothing glamorous about that.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Lightning
post Oct 8 2013, 09:33 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 4867

Maybe you should wait for the uncompressed images to be downloaded to Earth ?

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Oct 8 2013, 11:03 PM
Post #10

That happened quite a while ago, though I guess I'm not certain they've been released to PDS (but I think so.)

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeanM
post Oct 9 2013, 06:16 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 6530

Adrian: "..image of the dust blown by the lander.."

MSL was the lander.

The dust was blown by the 'crasher'!

Dean

PS: And I very much like your left-panel sequence.

The two near-circular areas of excavated debris are interesting.
Could the one on the right be apparently larger than that on the left of screen because of camera parallax or because the SkyCrane was initially tilted to the right?!

+Quote Post
AdrianC
post Oct 9 2013, 09:01 AM
Post #12

Sorry. Obviously I meant SkyCrane.
The patterns in which the dust is blasted are very interesting. Yes the one on the left is smaller, either the engines where correcting attitude or the terrain is significantly sloped. Or both.
Once I am done registering all the images thing will get clearer.

+Quote Post
Lightning
post Oct 9 2013, 09:11 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Oct 9 2013, 01:03 AM) *
That happened quite a while ago, though I guess I'm not certain they've been released to PDS (but I think so.)
According to the latest data (up to my knowledge) visible here http://pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/data/msl/M...001E01_DRCL.LBL release in may 2013, the parameter INST_CMPRS_NAME is still set to JPEG DISCRETE COSINE TRANSFORM (DCT).

So this still are not raw images.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Oct 9 2013, 09:18 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (Lightning @ Oct 9 2013, 02:11 PM) *
According to the latest data (up to my knowledge) ...
So this still are not raw images.

The latest is release 3 for sols 180-269: http://pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/data/msl/M...R/SURFACE/0000/

Looks like lossless to me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lightning
post Oct 10 2013, 05:15 PM
Post #15

Yes, indeed. Looks like the raw descent images are then still not available, maybe on Earth but at least in PDS.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:48 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.