3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Pioneer spacecraft hardware - TRW
tasp
post Aug 12 2008, 02:02 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 162

IIRC, the large box next to the thruster looks sunward through the cut out in the dish. The dish was probably pretty close to the ID of the payload fairing, so the instrument could not extend out past the OD of the non-notched dish.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Nov 1 2008, 10:25 PM
Post #32

Guests

35 years ago, my favorite spacecraft "" Pioneer 10 "" got Jupiter in sight.
Closest approach was on 5th December 1973 as the spacecraft passed 130000 kilometers over the cloud tops wink.gif

painting by Dutch space artist Ed Hengeveld to celebrate the "" 35 years Jupiter passage ""

+Quote Post
infocat13
post Nov 2 2008, 09:33 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 479

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Nov 1 2008, 06:25 PM) *
35 years ago, my favorite spacecraft "" Pioneer 10 "" got Jupiter in sight.
Closest approach was on 5th December 1973 as the spacecraft passed 130000 kilometers over the cloud tops wink.gif

painting by Dutch space artist Ed Hengeveld to celebrate the "" 35 years Jupiter passage ""

Well Phil I am hoping your up comming paper in the british interpalanetary society mag makes mention of my faverite topic, the fate of the star motor of the pioneer 10.I have reason to believe that the pioneer 11 injection aim point was not nominal( wrong side of the planet!) and the upper stage may not be in a solar system escape orbit.Jonathen mcdowell would be intersted in knowing if your research of this project has turned up anything in this reguard
cheers mate, and watch out for that speckeld hen and scrumpie stuff those brits drink!

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Nov 4 2008, 06:09 PM
Post #34

Guests

Didn't tackle the motor issue but I've found more rare Pioneer hardware photos and logos, which I will share with the UMSF community wink.gif

Here's a nice Pioneer-Saturn logo:

+Quote Post
DDAVIS
post Nov 14 2008, 11:39 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 10

Attached Image

'It's only some art picture but the thrusters may look like the original ones'.

I painted this picture after I saw a story on the late night news program 'Nightline' indicating Pioneer 10 would obtain a last picture of the solar neighborhood as it crossed Neptunes orbit. I soon learned this was not the case and I resolved to create my own version of the view the spacecraft would have. I contacted Peter Waller, then head of NASA Ames Public Affairs, about this and he decided to commission a painting for the occassion.
I obtained spacecraft hardware images and made an original perspective drawing of the spacecraft, setting it apart from most other images of the spacecraft which are based on a single drawing from a distinct angle.
The navigation people then provided data on where the planets would appear in relation to the Sun, which appear as colored dots shown with exaggerated clarity. I painted this scene with attention thus paid to the details of the hardware as well as the background view. This is a cropped scan from a slide of the original acrylic painting. It is a monument to the days when artists inspired by ongoing space exploration were helped rather than hindered by official sources when they wanted to 'get it right'.

Don

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Nov 15 2008, 08:18 AM
Post #36

Guests

Excellent work Don... but that's focused on the spacecraft as Your painting is larger showing more of the Milky way.
Just curious, did this work get an official NASA photo number?

+Quote Post
DDAVIS
post Nov 15 2008, 09:34 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 10

Your painting is larger showing more of the Milky way.

Yes, a scan showing the entire art is on a page with some of my NASA paintings, at:
http://www.donaldedavis.com/BIGPUB/PIONEER.jpg

Just curious, did this work get an official NASA photo number?

A NASA Ames 8 X 10 paper print I have has this ID felt penned on the back:

AC83-0351-1

I have a copy somewhere with an official caption page taped to the back with a 'key' diagram identifying all the planets. I also have the sketches for the work. At one point I a detailed perspective 'master drawing' of the spacecraft was prepared, a task now done by computer using a digital model.

Don

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Nov 22 2008, 01:34 PM
Post #38

Guests

This is definitively my favorite topic: Pioneer spacecraft near Jupiter and the Imaging Photo Polarimeter (IPP), which aimed according to preset ground commands, measured Jupiter's intensity every 1/1000th of a second in Red & Blue light.
After transmission of the number-coded intensities, super-imposition of R & B elements produced two-color images cool.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Apr 20 2009, 07:44 AM
Post #39

Guests

Question about the Pioneer 10 & 11 plaque.
At the bottom, the plaque shows the planets and the spacecraft going away after passing Jupiter... would the Pioneer 11 plaque show the spacecraft going away after Saturn?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...neer_plaque.svg

+Quote Post
mchan
post Apr 21 2009, 12:29 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 476

Pioneer 11 was not targeted for Saturn until after Pioneer 10 had a successful Jupiter encounter (which was after Pioneer 11 had launched). There was only 1 design used for both plaques.

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Apr 24 2009, 01:33 PM
Post #41

Guests

As promised one more Pioneer hardware photo showing the spacecraft during Thermal checks in 1971:

+Quote Post
Okei
post Aug 1 2009, 05:30 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 4888

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Apr 24 2009, 06:33 AM) *
As promised one more Pioneer hardware photo showing the spacecraft during Thermal checks in 1971:

Hello,

I was a Mission Controller, Jr. at NASA Ames Research Center on Pioneer Project from about June 1979 until December 1979. If I can be of any help here; please let me know. I am an experienced Electronics Technician and was in the employ of TRW Defense and Space Sector in the early 80's.

Cheers

+Quote Post
pospa
post Jun 27 2014, 11:19 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 5979

Hi, could anybody help me with a small Pioneer plaque mistery?
There is an article about Voyager spacecrafts live longevity in seriouse czech aviation&space magazine from 1987. Among others there is this picture of plaque with caption mentioning Voyagers. We all know that both Pioneers has this plaque and Voyagers this golden record.
It is obviouse that author of that article made a mistake with plaque picture but I would realy like to know what was the source of it. I couldn't find that version of depicted human figures with three children on the plaque anywhere on the internet.
Linda Salzman Sagan as an author of Pioneer plaque art work should know if its fake or one of her original drafts, but its difficult to ask her.
Maybe someone here would know it as well.
Thanks

Edit: latest info says the source of pictures in czech article should be Spaceflight magazine.

+Quote Post
gwiz
post Jun 27 2014, 03:22 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 4697

I'd guess it's somebody's attempt at humour.

+Quote Post
Okei
post Jul 10 2018, 03:47 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 4888

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Nov 22 2008, 05:34 AM) *
This is definitively my favorite topic: Pioneer spacecraft near Jupiter and the Imaging Photo Polarimeter (IPP), which aimed according to preset ground commands, measured Jupiter's intensity every 1/1000th of a second in Red & Blue light.
After transmission of the number-coded intensities, super-imposition of R & B elements produced two-color images cool.gif

I want to remark here that we (Pioneer Project) added Green to the image to represent what it likely looked like.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:22 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.