Closed TopicStart new topic
Dawn approaches Vesta, Approach phase, 3 May to 16 July 2011
Phil Stooke
post Jul 14 2011, 04:37 PM
Post #406

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

I have made a VERY crude attempt to combine the existing images into a cylindrical projection map, more to show approximate coverage than anything else. The previous (July 1st) image extended up into equatorial latitudes in the hemisphere opposite to the side seen in the new view.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mariner9
post Jul 14 2011, 05:06 PM
Post #407

Member No.: 528

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Jul 14 2011, 06:45 AM) *
OK that was nice. How long before we get to Ceres?

LOL. A while back I was looking at the best Hubble shot of Ceres and was thinking the same thing.

But first we shall have to suffer through the detailed mapping and higher resolution images of Vesta before moving on. There are worse fates, I suppose.

How long until the Pallas flyby?

+Quote Post
Gsnorgathon
post Jul 14 2011, 05:30 PM
Post #408

Member No.: 156

I'm wonder if, due to Vesta's low gravity, the ridge on the central peak is ejecta from the impact. Might some of it have sailed all the way around Vesta and landed back more or less where it started?

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 14 2011, 05:58 PM
Post #409

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

That's pretty much what pjam suggested up above. I think a tectonic explanation looks better, especially now.

If the grooves are graben, a high-standing block between them would be a horst. So it might be called the Keller Horst to celebrate one of the most prominent Dawn team members. (just kidding!)

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
dilo
post Jul 14 2011, 08:11 PM
Post #410

Member No.: 150

I processed the tiff image (thanks for highlight, Juramike!) and I used it to update the scale comparison:

Attached Image

This side do not show the dicothomy (smoothed vs rough) previously seen while the nature of disturbed terrain inside the super-south-crater is now clear...

HEY! this picture was shoot during my birthday! wink.gif

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
tasp
post Jul 15 2011, 02:06 AM
Post #411

Member No.: 162

How much bigger does that montage have to be to get Itokawa bigger than 1 pixel?

( laugh.gif, just amazed at the scaling we now have good data on these interesting objects)

And we are all probably still antsy to see the antipode of the big ole peak!

+Quote Post
Bunker9603
post Jul 15 2011, 04:27 AM
Post #412

Member No.: 3937

Dilo that is well done, It will be nice when Ceres gets added to it!

+Quote Post
tek_604
post Jul 15 2011, 05:32 AM
Post #413

Member No.: 4327

QUOTE (dilo @ Jul 14 2011, 10:11 PM) *
I processed the tiff image (thanks for highlight, Juramike!) and I used it to update the scale comparison:

Attached Image

This side do not show the dicothomy (smoothed vs rough) previously seen while the nature of disturbed terrain inside the super-south-crater is now clear...

HEY! this picture was shoot during my birthday! wink.gif

New winner for the Ops Room door smile.gif

+Quote Post
antipode
post Jul 15 2011, 07:46 AM
Post #414

Member No.: 1206

That central uplift sure looks like its made of different material. It almost looks diapir-like. Material squeezed/rebounded up from the deep mantle?

Also look at the size of that cliff/basin wall in the sunlight to the left on the picture. Thats gotta be kilometres high! (Miranda again).

Wow.

P

+Quote Post
Julius
post Jul 15 2011, 08:19 AM
Post #415

Member No.: 741

would the hump be a volcano and the surrounding grooves, lava flows?

+Quote Post
antipode
post Jul 15 2011, 08:30 AM
Post #416

Member No.: 1206

Hmmmm, cropping Dilo's image, all sorts of interesting things crop up. Crater chains, albedo differences etc. But this caught my eye.

An odd, 'cartouche' like set of grabens? with what looks like a cinder cone? in the middle?
Or just artefacts?

And that arrowed crater with two sections of dark floor - shadows? lava flooded?

This is going to get interesting....

P

+Quote Post
dilo
post Jul 15 2011, 10:28 AM
Post #417

Member No.: 150

The following plots shows the progress of distance and relative velocity during the approach phase, based on mission status updates and, for the last points, on the simulator in the Dawn site (thanks to people who collected snapshot of it in this thread!):
Attached Image

On june 26, Dawn entered the Vesta gravitational sphere of influence (about 125000 km radius, green arrow); however, speed need to be reduced below parabolic-trajectory limit for gravitational capture and orbit insertion. Based on latest JPL press release, this will happen tomorrow around 5:00 UTC at 15900 km distance; this implies a relative speed between 33,5 and 47,5 m/s, adopting a mass of 2,67e20 kg for Vetsa. Even assuming an initially elliptic orbit (indicative insertion speed of 40m/s), current declared speed of 48 m/s implies an average deceleration of 1,3e-4 m/s2 which is probably too high unless they use chemical propulsion (ion motor deceleration never went above 6.6e-5 m/s2 during approach phase), so I tend to suspect actual speed is lower than declared in the simulator. A confirm of this suspect arises from last Mission Status which declares only 37 m/s on July,13; at 23000km, such a speed would garantee Dawn is already gravitationally captured, even though on a highly elliptic orbit!
Do someone knows more details on incoming insertion maneuver?

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Jul 16 2011, 02:39 AM
Post #418

Member No.: 3995

Just some early hypothesizing for my own entertainment.... smile.gif

I'm starting to wonder if the striations could be linear plutonic structures (i.e. a system of more-or-less parallel dikes) that were exposed after the giant impact blew away the overlying material.

They seem to reside within the impact basin but not in the surrounding terrain. This may indicate that they represent some structures deep beneath the surface. Also, the younger and thinner regolith within the basin should preserve any surface expression of subsurface features better than in the surrounding landscape.

These are also present on the central mountain, but to a lesser degree. Such features should be preserved within an impact rebound, I would think.

Their appearance strike me as being albedo features -- at least to some extent. Could this represent different rock types (i.e. the origin of the Eucrite and Diogenite metorites)?

Could these be relicts from the time of 'planetary' differentiation, when heavier and lighter materials separated from each other?

Why are the features parallel? Who knows, but this would possibly give valuable insight into differentiation processes (and perhaps mantle processes within the earth).

Oh, and any topographic relief along these features would be due to fault movement between the units.

Thoughts?

Again, I know it's early, but still....

----------

A (simplified) cross-section of Vesta's interior and impact basin (not necessarily to scale):

[attachment=24808:Vesta_interior_2.PNG]

The arrows indicate the movement of magma during differentiation.

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Jul 16 2011, 03:39 AM
Post #419

Member No.: 590

QUOTE (dilo @ Jul 15 2011, 02:28 AM) *
The following plots shows the progress of distance and relative velocity during the approach phase, based on mission status updates and, for the last points, on the simulator in the Dawn site (thanks to people who collected snapshot of it in this thread!):

Why are you so sure there's a strictly linear relationship between velocity and distance from Vesta?

--Greg

+Quote Post
walfy
post Jul 16 2011, 04:50 AM
Post #420

Member No.: 5161

The kiwi hypotheses. smile.gif

+Quote Post

29 Pages V  « < 26 27 28 29 >
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 02:29 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.