Reply to this topicStart new topic
New Names for Mercury features
elakdawalla
post Apr 10 2008, 05:39 PM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

This is just the first of what will presumably be many new sets of names for features on Mercury produced by MESSENGER's imaging:

Twelve New Names and a New Theme for Fossae Approved for Use on Mercury

The following new names have been approved by the IAU for use on Mercury.

Craters: Apollodorus, Atget, Cunningham, Eminescu, Kertész, Neruda, Raditladi, Sander, Sveinsdóttir, Xiao Zhao

Rupes: Beagle Rupes

Fossae: Pantheon Fossae

The newly approved theme for fossae on Mercury is "Significant works of architecture."

Beagle Rupes is the big curvy rupes near the western terminator on the outbound images. Pantheon Fossae is the "spider." Apollodorus is the crater that sits on the spider. Anyone care to try your hand at mapping out the locations of the other craters? They all seem to be on the outbound images, no surprise there.

Name Lat Lon Diameter
Raditladi 27.28 240.93 257
Xiao Zhao 10.64 236.21 23
Atget 25.65 193.93 100
Sander 42.59 205.6 50
Apollodorus 30.58 197.01 41
Sveinsdóttir -2.58 259.96 220
Eminescu 10.79 245.87 125
Cunningham 30.48 203.07 37
Kertész 27.44 214.06 33
Neruda -52.47 234.55 110

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Apr 10 2008, 09:46 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 530

I was wondering what Jason was talking about with Beagle Rupes. Although with the Mercury theme I expected Beatles Rupes.

Applldorus and Pantheon... nearby?

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Apr 17 2008, 05:57 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 184

On a somewhat related note, I recently posted some Mercury mapping updates. These include more color imagery from Messenger and earlier radar data from Arecibo Observatory. Details are in the caption...

http://laps.noaa.gov/albers/sos/sos.html#MERCURY

Steve

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Apr 17 2008, 07:35 PM
Post #4

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Apr 10 2008, 10:39 AM) *
Anyone care to try your hand at mapping out the locations of the other craters? They all seem to be on the outbound images, no surprise there.

Here ya go:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 17 2008, 09:13 PM
Post #5

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

... and a nice new image on the Messenger site:

http://messenger.jhuapl.edu/gallery/scienc...0108828468M.jpg

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
nprev
post Apr 18 2008, 01:08 AM
Post #6

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Wow, I'll say!!! blink.gif The central peak complex of that large terraced crater is just wild.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Apr 21 2008, 05:18 PM
Post #7

Administrator

Member No.: 454

QUOTE (volcanopele @ Apr 17 2008, 12:35 PM) *
Here ya go:
You're the man, Jason, thanks. I asked some APL folks if they had a map and no one seemed to have one to send, or know where the craters were! blink.gif Maybe I'll send them your map. smile.gif

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Apr 21 2008, 05:32 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 184

QUOTE (nprev @ Apr 18 2008, 02:08 AM) *
Wow, I'll say!!! blink.gif The central peak complex of that large terraced crater is just wild.

I believe that is Eminescu - nicely labeled on Jason's new map.

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Apr 21 2008, 07:45 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 655

QUOTE (nprev @ Apr 18 2008, 02:08 AM) *

And some textbook secondary crater chains - beautiful!

+Quote Post
Shaka
post Apr 21 2008, 09:41 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 618

I was wondering when somebody would mention those "secondary crater chains". I would like to see the textbook that depicts them. I find it hard to imagine that a series of ejecta blocks from the large crater would land one-after-another along those nearly-perfectly linear tracks, without at least an occasional block landing to one side or the other of the line. That's what I always see in the textbook chains on the Moon or elsewhere, but not here around "Eminescu".
These particular chains are impossibly continuous and co-linear to be formed by flying ejecta blocks. They are primarily radial to Eminescu but not always.
I am prepared to wager that they comprise series of sinkholes formed above linear fractures in an underlying basement rock. The fractures would have formed as a result of the Eminescu impact, but the sinkholes would represent a later modification, as deposited regolith sifted down into the cracks.
I don't think I have ever seen this kind of pattern on the Moon or other planets, and wonder if it is unique here. It implies a pretty remarkable substructure to the Mercurean crust. I can't believe no one else has commented on this. Emily? blink.gif

--------------------
My Grandpa goes to Mars every day and all I get are these lousy T-shirts!

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 21 2008, 11:30 PM
Post #11

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Secondary cratering has been understood very well since the pioneering work by Gene Shoemaker in 1960 or so. The curtain of ejecta breaks up into debris strands, not always radial because some are produced by in flight breakup of rotating blocks. We see it around terrestrial explosion craters, lunar craters, Mars craters... and it is better expressed on Mercury because the higher gravity compared with the moon brings the debris down closer to the primary so there's less time for it to spread out and become irregular in appearance. Radial cracks are all but unheard of around impact craters.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Apr 22 2008, 08:58 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 655

QUOTE (Shaka @ Apr 21 2008, 10:41 PM) *
I was wondering when somebody would mention those "secondary crater chains". I would like to see the textbook that depicts them.

Try 'Planetary Geology' by Guest/Butterworth/Murray/O'Donnell 1979 edition Page 22 with 4 photographs on the facing page - very informative.

+Quote Post
Shaka
post Apr 22 2008, 09:06 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 618

Thanks for the pointer. I'll try to find it. Astonishing is all I can say, that a series of ballistic ejecta trajectories can produce craters like beads on a string. blink.gif
Do the hydrocode models of big impacts produce patterns like this?
Incredible.

--------------------
My Grandpa goes to Mars every day and all I get are these lousy T-shirts!

+Quote Post
nprev
post Apr 23 2008, 04:52 AM
Post #14

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

The crater chains are odd and cool, but I'm still obsssed with the albedo variations around the central peaks of Eminescu; is the crust much more chemically differentiated then previously thought?

Come to that, some of the crater chain patterns seem to perhaps imply activity post-formation. I wonder how deep beneath the outer crust Mercury's magma might really be? Might be very hard to tell; the place has been slammed continuously since its formation, but it's thick-skinned enough to retain prima facie very ancient impact features. Eminescu doesn't look all that old to me, though, especially in comparison to its presumably associated secondary impact chains.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
ugordan
post May 4 2008, 08:23 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 523

Here are a couple of false color and natural-ish wide-angle color overlays over the higher resolution NAC image of Eminescu:

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 02:58 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.