IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Congratulations To Alan Et. Al., Now hurry up and wait... :)
djellison
post Jan 21 2006, 10:55 AM
Post #31

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I was a wreck - I don't think I've ever been as nervous about a launch as NH - I was hands-over-face-saying 'go go go go' in that quiet way you see people doing at the launch site - not even the MER launch had me so nervous. It's astonishing what effect these missions can have

Doug
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Jan 21 2006, 11:48 AM
Post #32

Group: Members
Member No.: 105

>I was a wreck - I don't think I've ever been as nervous...

Shouldn't worry that much. If the launch is under sub-optimum conditions you end up with loss of vehicle and/or lives.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
jinydu
post Jan 21 2006, 08:25 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 654

I'm an undergraduate student at university and I'm curious about learning more about this mission. I was wondering whether there are some more "scientifically advanced" descriptions about the mission than those available at the official websites. That is, are there any documents that presume a far higher level of knowledge in physics? A scientific paper would be preferable.

Thanks

+Quote Post
DEChengst
post Jan 24 2006, 07:08 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 133

QUOTE (Alan Stern @ Jan 20 2006, 02:07 PM)
It looks like the Atlas gave us an almost perfect injection,
with the consequence being that we will have far more fuel for KBO exploration
than we had planned for in our nominal models.

During the pre launch pressconference you told that the opening for the post Pluto trajectory was only 0.1 degrees. How much further will this open due to the fuel you saved ?

--------------------
PDP, VAX and Alpha fanatic ; HP-Compaq is the Satan! ; Let us pray daily while facing Maynard! ; Life starts at 150 km/h ;

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Jan 24 2006, 08:20 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 173

QUOTE (DEChengst @ Jan 24 2006, 07:08 AM)
During the pre launch pressconference you told that the opening for the post Pluto trajectory was only 0.1 degrees. How much further will this open due to the fuel you saved ?

...Perhaps now 0.3 or 0.4 deg.

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Jan 24 2006, 05:50 PM
Post #36

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

I wasn't nervous because...I MISSED IT!! mad.gif

Congratulations to the amazing people envolved in this amazing mission...Time will fly and, in a blink, we'll be there.

Thank you for building up your dreams.

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Jan 24 2006, 06:11 PM
Post #37

Guests

jinydu, check the books & resources folder of this forum for publications on unmanned spacecraft smile.gif

Alan, congrats for the NH mission to the entire team behind it !

The fact that some of the NASA engineers & scientists are reading ( & replying on ) this forum once more highlights they are very open to spaceflight enthusiasts and media alike ( O.K. the latter 'sell' the stuff to the general public ).
In over 30 years I have been delighted by the 'openess ' of people involved in spacemissions ... compared to some astronauts ( no I do not mean Dr Armstrong but some 'guys' currently training ).

... ... ... huh.gif

+Quote Post
hendric
post Jan 24 2006, 07:39 PM
Post #38

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

Wow, that extra fuel should really open the search area. I saw in the presentation linked to earlier that there is an option to look for Centaurs in the flight path as well. I presume you'll know more in a few weeks?

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
DEChengst
post Jan 24 2006, 08:08 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 133

QUOTE (ustrax @ Jan 24 2006, 06:50 PM)
I wasn't nervous because...I MISSED IT!! mad.gif

I was nervous as hell. I didn't get much sleep on all three of the nights before the launch attempts smile.gif In the end I got to see a sucessfull launch so I guess it was worth it.

--------------------
PDP, VAX and Alpha fanatic ; HP-Compaq is the Satan! ; Let us pray daily while facing Maynard! ; Life starts at 150 km/h ;

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Feb 11 2006, 07:57 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 430

Universe Today Podcast: There Goes New Horizons

Summary - (Thu, 09 Feb 2006) Take a look through any book on our Solar System, and you'll see beautiful photographs of every planet - except one. Eight of our nine planets have been visited up close by a spacecraft, and we've got the breathtaking photos to prove it. Pluto's the last holdout, revealing just a few fuzzy pixels in even the most powerful ground and space-based telescopes.

But with the launch of New Horizons in January, bound to arrive at Pluto in 9 years, we're one step closer to completing our planetary collection - and answering some big scientific questions about the nature of objects in the Kuiper Belt.

Alan Stern is the Executive Director of the Space Science and Engineering Division, at the Southwest Research Institute. He's New Horizon's Principal Investigator.

http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/po...ons.html?922006

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:46 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.