Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Thinking ahead...
dvandorn
post May 28 2007, 07:14 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

We all know that MRO uses a backup S-band transmitter from the MER program, which operates on the same frequency as one of the MERs (Oppy, IIRC). No one thought there could possibly be a conflict, since MRO was not going to arrive at Mars until more than three years after the MERs, and of course the MERs would have definitely ceased functioning by then...

Now they have to plan use of the MER DTE system and MRO's data link more carefully than otherwise, because of this conflict that no one thought could ever have happened.

MSL is launching in two years (at least supposedly), and while one might make the assumption that the MERs will definitely be dead by then, the time between now and MSL landing is less than the time between the MER landings and now.

Do we know for certain that MSL is being designed such that there will be no conflicts of any kind with the MERs, if either or both Spirit and Opportunity are still functioning when it arrives? There aren't any more spare S-band transmitters from the MER program that MSL is planning on using, are there...?

Just curious...

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Analyst_*
post May 28 2007, 07:30 AM
Post #2

Guests

1. This has nothing to do with using "spares". It has something to do with a limited number of DSN channels (frequency bands). I do not know which channel MSL will use. I *assume* not a channel currently in use by a Mars probe (MERs, MRO ODY, MEX). Lets use MGS' smile.gif.
2. The MERs and MRO, MSL and MEX all operate in X-band, not S-band. The frequency is about 4 times higher.
3. It is Spirit who uses the same channel than MRO.

Analyst

+Quote Post
Toma B
post May 28 2007, 08:46 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 384

QUOTE (dvandorn @ May 28 2007, 09:14 AM) *
...MSL is launching in two years (at least supposedly)...

-the other Doug

Supposedly?
Is there any possible delay announced?

--------------------
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
Jules H. Poincare

My "Astrophotos" gallery on flickr...

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 28 2007, 09:59 AM
Post #4

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

None that I know of - they've been given all the cash they need to get it to the pad for '09

Doug

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post May 28 2007, 05:50 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 15

For some reason, especially since I haven't seen a final complete design and the experiment suite has not been finalized (as far as the last I've heard), it just occurs to me that maybe I ought not assume that MSL is going to fly on time. But, hey -- if they have all the cash they need, I should stop worrying and learn to love the Bomb... *grin*...

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Guest_Analyst_*
post May 28 2007, 08:00 PM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE (dvandorn @ May 28 2007, 05:50 PM) *
For some reason, especially since I haven't seen a final complete design and the experiment suite has not been finalized (as far as the last I've heard), ...

Sure there are not many details known (yet) about the final design, but 2 1/2 years from launch small design changes are still likely. The instrument suite has been selected long ago, some small adjustments there are possible too. But the overall design is pretty much fixed.

I would not worry about MSL, but about the whole NASA planetary program after 2010.

Analyst

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:56 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.