IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Perseverance Arrival- Media Coverage, Press Conferences, Schedules, Etc.
nprev
post Jan 27 2021, 03:16 AM
Post #1

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Hey, all. So we're roughly 21 days (Earth, not Mars! smile.gif ) from touchdown right now, and NASA has released a schedule of planned arrival coverage (link below). Their first look-ahead briefing is tomorrow. This thread will serve as a place to post resources for landing coverage, esp. given that some of our international members may be interested in local and/or language-specific options for same. If you happen know of any of those please post links here.

As per UMSF custom, there will be a dedicated landing thread opened for the big event when we get close. Remember to have your snacks & beverages of choice ready, and peanuts are optional but encouraged! laugh.gif

NASA Perseverance Arrival Coverage (Scheduled)

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 27 2021, 04:10 AM
Post #2

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

The Eyes on the Solar System team have still got a few tweaks to make - but their EDL experience is up and live. Unlike with MSL when you had to download and install it - it's now a WebGL thing...... https://eyes.nasa.gov/apps/mars2020/

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 27 2021, 09:13 AM
Post #3

Merciless Robot

Ridiculously cool. Thanks, Doug!!!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Quetzalcoatl
post Jan 27 2021, 02:05 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 8747

Error ! ninja.gif

+Quote Post
Quetzalcoatl
post Jan 27 2021, 02:07 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 8747

Hello,

Thank you for this invitation to promote "local" events to follow the landing of Perseverance.

Pour les francophones, il y a par exemple une émission produite par le CNES (Centre National des Etudes Spatiales) :

https://supercam.cnes.fr/fr/capsurmars-atte...ge-perseverance

Une conférence organisée en numérique à la Cité des Sciences à Paris :

http://www.cite-sciences.fr/fr/au-programm...c-perseverance/

+Quote Post
Antdoghalo
post Jan 27 2021, 04:32 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 4972

QUOTE (nprev @ Jan 26 2021, 10:16 PM) *
As per UMSF custom, there will be a dedicated landing thread opened for the big event when we get close. Remember to have your snacks & beverages of choice ready, and peanuts are optional but encouraged! laugh.gif

Gotta have those peanuts! Those things have mostly been a good luck charm for American Mars landings.

--------------------
"Thats no moon... IT'S A TRAP!"

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Jan 29 2021, 03:38 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 424

The Perseverance Landing Press Kit has been posted here.

The Curiosity/MSL landing press kit was outstanding, full of detailed discussions, but not as challenging as a scientific paper. It was my mainstay until Emily Lakdawalla's book came out.

This press kit at first glance seems sketchier, but that might be my late-middle-aged grumpiness talking. And of course, JPL knows better than I do the needs of its target audience.

Edit: fixed link to the MSL landing press kit

+Quote Post
Sean
post Jan 29 2021, 02:51 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 7837

The NASA EYES EDL sim is just brilliant.

My only crit is the funky displacement in the form of very many massive mounds ( obviously not present at Jezero ) that stream in as we come in for landing, which obfuscate the landing itself.

What an incredible thing it is to fling a robot at another planet and have the audacity to land safely on it!

edit: Just read Doug's post on the tweaks to be made. I have no doubt it will look just grea!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Steve G
post Jan 30 2021, 04:02 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 624

I just retired on December 1st. I know how I'm going to spend all my free time on landing day!

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 5 2021, 08:09 AM
Post #10

Merciless Robot

Per Mike's suggestion posts concerning penetrator probes/smart balance masses have been moved to a new topic.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 5 2021, 03:48 PM
Post #11

Founder

QUOTE (Sean @ Jan 29 2021, 06:51 AM) *
funky displacement in the form of very many massive mounds

Yeah - I'm not getting that. What browser are you on, I'll let the team know.

+Quote Post
MERovingian
post Feb 8 2021, 10:29 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 1602

Traditions, traditions.

For Spirit and Oppy's arrival, I bought a brand new computer and screen.
For Curiosity's arrival, I bought a brand new computer and a bigger screen.
I write today on a new computer with a huge screen! Many thanks to JPL for the great adventures over the years, and for providing me with the opportunity once per decade to negociate with a higher authority * the purchase of new electronic equipment.

I've got two kilos of Mars bars at the ready and a jar of peanuts (for the immediate apéro after safe landing) and I let my fingernails grow since last christmas to nibble on during the next seven minutes of terror.
I guess I'm about all set!

Go Perseverance, safe journey and safe landing! mars.gif

* My wife

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Feb 9 2021, 12:58 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 424

A useful blog post by Emily Lakdawalla @elakdawalla: "How Do I Watch the Perseverance Landing?"

https://www.patreon.com/posts/47214292

+Quote Post
Stratespace
post Feb 15 2021, 01:27 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 6834

QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 27 2021, 06:10 AM) *
The Eyes on the Solar System team have still got a few tweaks to make - but their EDL experience is up and live. Unlike with MSL when you had to download and install it - it's now a WebGL thing...... https://eyes.nasa.gov/apps/mars2020/
Will this event be implemented in the actual NASA's Eyes software before the landing date though ? On my version, Mars 2020 still "lands" on Mars in one piece.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 15 2021, 03:17 PM
Post #15

Founder

Regular ‘Eyes’ is being phased out. It’s >10 years old and in a world of smartphones, tablets and chrome books....increasingly unusable for a majority of people. The WebGL experience is where to go for EDL. The full ‘Eyes...’ experience will eventually all be in WebGL. I doubt they’ll have the resources to transfer EDL back to the old platform.

Ive not been with the Eyes team for over half a decade, and we had started trying to get off the dependence on Unity for a while even then. That MSL EDL was a very ugly hack in original “Eyes” and maintaining it has been a nightmare.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:28 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.