IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

25 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Exploring Mt Sharp - The Dunes - Part 2: Naukluft Plateau, Sites 53-54, Sols 1274-1352, March 7-May 27 2016
PaulH51
post Mar 16 2016, 12:11 PM
Post #46

Group: Members
Member No.: 6853

FL HazCam: Midnight Planets reports a drive of approximately 38.5m W (-99º) on Sol 1283. Not enough NavCams for the 360 mosaic yet...
Attached Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
algorithm
post Mar 16 2016, 02:12 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 6783

A partial NavCam anaglyph from Sol1283, a lot of transforming going on so a bit ropey in the extremeties smile.gif

Attached Image

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Mar 16 2016, 02:41 PM
Post #48

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

QUOTE (atomoid @ Mar 15 2016, 07:04 PM) *
I was trying to figure out the little hole in the sand sol1278 which seems to have been poked sometime between sol1276 and sol1277, from the MAHLI instrument?

If the MAHLI prongs made contact with anything, it would halt the motion of the arm. Holes are generally caused by ChemCam. Here's the before and the after.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Sean
post Mar 16 2016, 04:13 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 7837

Here is a quick stereo stitch for Sol 1283...

Sol-1283_001_NS_SBS_3DTV

--------------------

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Mar 16 2016, 11:32 PM
Post #50

Curiosity Mission Update from Ken Herkenhoff (March 16th) Sol 1284: Driving Across the Plateau
MSL drove almost 40 meters over the rough terrain on the Naukluft plateau, as planned, and again there are many interesting features near the rover. Many of the rocks appear to have been abraded by windblown sand, resulting in some bizarre shapes in places. The chemical and morphological diversity of these nearby rocks will be sampled before the rover drives toward the west on Sol 1284: ChemCam and Mastcam will observe outcrop targets named "Rooirand," "Grootberg," and "Gratzplatz." The Left Mastcam will also acquire mosaics of the outcrop around Rooirand and sedimentary structures to the south of the rover. After the drive, the usual post-drive imaging is planned, including a MARDI twilight image (my only responsibility today).

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Mar 17 2016, 02:16 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 7273

Here's the RMI mosaic. It's spectacular!

It looks like the mound in center foreground has had the entire right side blasted off. There's also a neat hoodoo-like feature hiding in the background at right, and you can get a better sense of its profile by its shadow on the cliff behind it. What a scene!

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Mar 17 2016, 05:07 AM
Post #52

Member No.: 5221

That damage would have been caused by an impact, right?

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Mar 17 2016, 06:09 AM
Post #53

Member No.: 7273

An impact was my first guess, but I can think of a couple other things that it might be. If a stream was running off Mt. Sharp, it might have undercut the mound and caused landslides until the slope stabilized at where we see it. It could also be a minor fault network that weakened that half of the mound and allowed it to erode more quickly. I'm not exactly sure where this mosaic was looking, but an orbital context shot would probably be useful in figuring out exactly what's going on.

+Quote Post
Sean
post Mar 17 2016, 12:11 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 7837

Here is a Navcam left pano for Sol 1283...

Sol 1283 Navcam left Pano

--------------------

+Quote Post
jvandriel
post Mar 17 2016, 01:36 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 353

The Navcam L view on Sol 1283.

Jan van Driel

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 17 2016, 07:13 PM
Post #56

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Thanks, Jan - here is a circular view from sol 1283:

Attached Image

and a projection of the Hazcams for sol 1284:

Attached Image

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Mar 17 2016, 10:40 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 196

QUOTE (jccwrt @ Mar 16 2016, 11:09 PM) *
An impact was my first guess, but I can think of a couple other things that it might be. If a stream was running off Mt. Sharp, it might have undercut the mound and caused landslides until the slope stabilized at where we see it. It could also be a minor fault network that weakened that half of the mound and allowed it to erode more quickly. I'm not exactly sure where this mosaic was looking, but an orbital context shot would probably be useful in figuring out exactly what's going on.

incredibly impressive fantastic imagery, thanks. its such a good view from here i hope we get some m100s for follow-up.
One of the more striking ones is the vertical cliff (hoodoo?) and just love the little ripples in the foreground.
I was under the impression the current surface is tens(?) of meters underneath the layers of the final wet epochs, suggesting long term wind action as a cause of undermining the blasted-off hillside (all that detritus oblated to some other locale), but could just as much consider the blasted-off appearance to be a well-preserved relic of that original stream-erosion, itself only recently exhumed. It just looks so fresh, but there doesn't seem to be anywhere for all that to have gone but there may be plenty of room down there.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Mar 17 2016, 11:03 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 152

It is a very cool looking area. Here's a stereo view using the 1181 MR with the 1283 RMI. The baseline gives a pretty severe stereo effect. Anaglyph:
Attached Image

Cross-eyed:
Attached Image

The bright, nearly vertical face towards the back was mostly hiding behind a foreground knob in the MR view. There was another view on 1270, but that was only ML so it doesn't show much. There is a new MR view in the pipeline...

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Mar 17 2016, 11:20 PM
Post #59

4Days, 4 Drives smile.gif
1284 L-NavCam mosaic, roughly assembled in MS ICE, dimensions reduced to fit the upload limits
Attached Image

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Mar 18 2016, 12:48 AM
Post #60

Curiosity Mission Update from Lauren Edgar, March 17th - Sol 1285: Still driving across the Naukluft Plateau
Curiosity is still working her way across the Naukluft Plateau. On Sol 1284 Curiosity drove ~27 m, which brings our total traverse distance to ~12,549 m. Today’s plan is fairly straightforward. In the morning, Curiosity will acquire Mastcam and ChemCam on targets named “Mulden” and “Koigab” to characterize the bedrock that we’ve been driving over. We’ll also take a Mastcam mosaic to investigate the local stratigraphy. Then Curiosity will continue driving towards the northwest, and will take post-drive imaging to prepare for contact science over the weekend. Early the next morning, Curiosity will take several Navcam, Mastcam, and ChemCam observations to monitor the atmospheric composition and opacity and search for clouds. I’ll be on duty tomorrow as GSTL, so I’m looking forward to planning some contact science!

Attached Image

+Quote Post

25 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 08:18 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.