25 Pages V  « < 19 20 21 22 23 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Curiosity Image Retrieval Tools, scripts and software
fredk
post Jun 9 2013, 11:34 PM
Post #301

Group: Members
Member No.: 152

Hi Joe - curiosityrover hasn't updated for a couple of days - maybe it needs a kick? unsure.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jun 10 2013, 08:29 AM
Post #302

Member No.: 6780

I'd guess, that Joe uses MSL Raw Images.
That site doesn't seem to work correctly at the moment; and I feel a little guilty. Probably they're just fixing an issue I reported.

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Jun 10 2013, 01:24 PM
Post #303

Member No.: 6853

QUOTE (Gerald @ Jun 10 2013, 04:29 PM) *
I'd guess, that Joe uses MSL Raw Images.
That site doesn't seem to work correctly at the moment; and I feel a little guilty. Probably they're just fixing an issue I reported.

I concur Gerald, probably an issue with a minor change in the way the image data is reported that has stopped Joe's page scripts from running properly.

Does anyone know of any other MSL image libraries that provide the pointing information (heading and elevation etc) that are still working? I am really missing that data in order to fully understand aspects of certain images from sol 297 onward. Hope Joe gets his very useful library back to normal operation soon smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jun 10 2013, 07:18 PM
Post #304

Member No.: 6780

"The issue has been resolved." Thanks a lot!

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Jun 10 2013, 11:41 PM
Post #305

Member No.: 196

QUOTE (PaulH51 @ Jun 10 2013, 06:24 AM) *
...the pointing information (heading and elevation etc)..

me too,... ahh, interesting rock is up again!

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Jun 11 2013, 12:09 AM
Post #306

QUOTE (Gerald @ Jun 11 2013, 03:18 AM) *
"The issue has been resolved." Thanks a lot!

Yes, now back to normal... Now back to work to catch up on the images...... smile.gif

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Aug 3 2013, 01:15 AM
Post #307

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

There is an issue on MSL Sol 351 that may affect those of us who maintain or use image retrieval tools. Several of the Right Mastcam images of the Phobos/Deimos transit (if that's what it is) have web raw id's that are 24 characters long instead of 23 characters long. The MMM (Mastcam MAHLI MARDI) web rawid format is not documented*, but still, 24 characters comes as a bit of a surprise, as every MMM web rawid in the previous 350 sols has been 23 characters long. Some computer code may not be able to deal with 24 characters. I can say my own code definitely is not able to deal with it; Midnight Loader simply crashed, and now is patched, but my web pages and app client will simply deny the existence of 24-character rawids for now. Other programs may see similar problems, or not.

Here's a typical 23-character rawid

And here's a 24-character example

* To anticipate a question: no, the MMM web rawid format is not documented in the MSL Software Interface Specification (MSL_CAMERA_SIS MSL_MMM_EDR_RDR_DPSIS.PDF) as far as I know; it appears to be a different format from the PDS image files, if perhaps related. I haven't had much time to look into it though; please correct me if I'm wrong.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Aug 3 2013, 02:24 AM
Post #308

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (mhoward @ Aug 2 2013, 06:15 PM) *
24 characters comes as a bit of a surprise, as every MMM web rawid in the previous 350 sols has been 23 characters long.

Huh. I think the extra character will appear if video is shot in "immediate JPEG" rather than "deferred JPEG" mode (perhaps the SIS explains what this means, I don't remember; in this mode there is only one thumbnail for each 16-frame "group of pictures") and I thought we had done this before (scoop video), but maybe not. There also may be future changes to the naming convention in general.

I had nothing to do with the naming convention and I also argued against incompatible changes to it, so I am not taking the blame for any inconvenience caused.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Aug 3 2013, 02:49 AM
Post #309

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

I should probably just clarify before anyone wonders: the problem isn't the length of the filename as such, the problem is that programs may need to extract information from the filename; and if we can no longer even pretend to understand the contents of the filename, that doesn't work so well.

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Aug 3 2013, 09:56 AM
Post #310

Member No.: 13

Thanks for the heads up--luckily my code wasn't looking at the part of the string past "MR" as I don't know what those numbers signify--ignorance is bliss!

--------------------

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Aug 3 2013, 04:53 PM
Post #311

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (mhoward @ Aug 2 2013, 06:15 PM) *
no, the MMM web rawid format is not documented in the MSL Software Interface Specification (MSL_CAMERA_SIS) as far as I know; it appears to be a different format from the PDS image files, if perhaps related.

I'm not sure myself how it's related, but I'll speculate.

The first four digits are the sol, I think that's without controversy smile.gif

The two letters are the abbreviated instrument name, ditto.

The ten digits look like the sequence ID (elided from the six digits in the SIS to four digits) and the command number (three digits) in the sequence (together forming the product ID), per the SIS page 25, followed by three digits which is some kind of identifier for commands that yield more than one image (video and zstack). For normal image products these should always be 000.

The letter is the data type as defined on pages 23-24 of the SIS.

The _DXXX is as defined in the SIS page 24 and will always be _DXXX.

The digit after the data type letter is probably the version (SIS page 24), has it ever not been 1?

At this point, I would guess that we are seeing either a bug in the name generation that has been encountered for the Phobos/Deimos sequence, or a definition of the video identifier that causes it to have four digits in some cases rather than three; perhaps not a simple incrementing count. One would have to go back to previously acquired video to see.

For parsing at this point I would assume that the field between the product ID and the type could be 3 or 4 digits. As indicated previously I'm not sure how this might change in the future.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Apr 11 2014, 12:16 PM
Post #312

I installed a web front-end called DaDaBIK to my raw image mysql database:

http://curiosityrover.com/rawdb

log in as 'umsf' and password 'msl' & you can search the database by various fields.

--------------------

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Apr 11 2014, 12:53 PM
Post #313

QUOTE (jmknapp @ Apr 11 2014, 08:16 PM) *
I installed a web front-end called DaDaBik to my raw image mysql database:

Thanks Joe, very useful smile.gif

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Apr 11 2014, 01:05 PM
Post #314

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Not only useful, but also very fast. Thanks!

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Jun 6 2014, 12:39 PM
Post #315

A new cool tool to view Curiosity images, or to get a better idea of what they're up to at a given location:

Curiosity Rover Synth

Attached Image

It's kind of beta so let me know about any issues or "enhancements".

--------------------

+Quote Post

25 Pages V  « < 19 20 21 22 23 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:51 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.