35 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Spring at Cape York, Sol 2947 (after Greeley Haven) - sol 3040
MarkG
post Jun 15 2012, 12:33 AM
Post #121

Group: Members
Member No.: 4473

This "edge", the contact between the Meridiani deposits and the Endeavor rim deposits, is actually one of the most interesting possible things to look at. How much Opportunity's remaining instrumentation can glean is a "good topic of discussion", but this contact could tell us a lot about an era or two of Marian history....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Jun 15 2012, 03:46 AM
Post #122

Member No.: 4338

Speaking of remaining instrumentation, I wonder if there could be some kind of creative use of the miniTES, even though the lens is covered with dust. Could it at least detect thermal radiation from "hot spots" at night, for example? Or does it, by now, have additional problems beyond the dirty lens that render it totally inoperable?

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 15 2012, 05:56 AM
Post #123

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

It's not just dust. MiniTES is actually broken - it doesn't work anymore.

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Jun 15 2012, 08:50 AM
Post #124

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

Steve Squyres reports on Twitter (@NEEMO_Steve) (from underwater!) that Oppy just had a big cleaning event! smile.gif

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Jun 15 2012, 12:43 PM
Post #125

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Jun 15 2012, 02:50 AM) *
Steve Squyres reports on Twitter (@NEEMO_Steve) (from underwater!) that Oppy just had a big cleaning event! smile.gif

Now there's some welcome news! I always thought this area to the north of CY 'looked' windy, although I'm sure this is probably just random timing. Hooray!

There's a look back at Cape York on sol 2981 that will be lovely once it's downloaded.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
climber
post Jun 15 2012, 01:08 PM
Post #126

Member No.: 682

I also though the rim "has to be windy" but you've also got to consider the solar panel angle to the wind. I never thought this particular location would be windy so, yes, random is a possibility!
This cleaning occured right on time for Oppy to participate to the "24 heures du Mans: http://www.racing-1.com/2012/06/15/24-heur...croche-la-pole/

--------------------

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Jun 16 2012, 03:00 AM
Post #127

An exposed area is always likely to be more windy than a sheltered area.

+Quote Post
brellis
post Jun 16 2012, 03:41 AM
Post #128

Member No.: 1700

hmm, if we want Opportunity to last as long as possible, would that knowledge point us in a different direction for survival's sake?

+Quote Post
PaulM
post Jun 16 2012, 07:19 AM
Post #129

Member No.: 3233

QUOTE (brellis @ Jun 16 2012, 04:41 AM) *
hmm, if we want Opportunity to last as long as possible, would that knowledge point us in a different direction for survival's sake?

There is a place to which Oppy could drive to ensure survival. Unfortunately there are no clays there. Winds have been observed over the last decade eroding sand dunes on the floor of Endeavour crater between Cape Tribulation and the central peak.

http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2011/2010JE003675.shtml

I think that Oppy takes super-res photos of these dunes from time to time.

If Oppy became stationary then this would be the best place for Oppy to get stuck A time lapse film of a dune being eroded by wind over several years would be interesting.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jun 16 2012, 12:53 PM
Post #130

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Jun 15 2012, 12:50 AM) *

Anyone see any numbers on this yet?

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 16 2012, 02:12 PM
Post #131

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Any wind that might erode a dune inside Endeavour could also clean a rover on its rim. It may be true that "An exposed area is always likely to be more windy than a sheltered area." but it's not so obvious where these places would be, and Cape York is not sheltered by anything. Spirit received a huge cleaning event while 'sheltered' between Home Plate and a nearby hill called Tsiolkovsky. And the dune fields inside Endurance and Victoria were clearly sculpted by winds despite being on crater floors. In short - cleaning events can happen pretty much anywhere so no need to panic.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Jun 16 2012, 05:14 PM
Post #132

QUOTE (PaulM @ Jun 16 2012, 12:19 AM) *

Differential heating between light and dark areas can also produce winds. The area in the figure in the above paper seems to be such a transition area.

It may be fortuitous that Oppy right now is also near a boundary between light and dark regions.

What constitutes a "sheltered area" depends on the direction of the wind, which may change seasonally. Wind is not random if we understand the mechanisms involved.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jun 16 2012, 06:18 PM
Post #133

Member No.: 152

The topography of CY is so subtle that I think seasonal effects are the cause here. Remember we started to get cleaning events back at Greeley Haven. But we've also had big cleaning events about one and two Martian years ago. We're due for gusts and a big increase in tau around now...

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post Jun 16 2012, 11:19 PM
Post #134

Guests

I'll miss all the talk about the winds and cleaning events and jumping from lily pad to lily pad when we go from MER to MSL....
MER = the era of sail
MSL = the era of the nuclear submarine...

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jun 17 2012, 12:26 AM
Post #135

Member No.: 152

Me too. But the half-life of 238Pu is only about 88 years. So in a couple of centuries the real advantage of solar power will be clear, as MSL becomes a lander and then goes silent, while Oppy continues her exploration of Miyamoto crater... laugh.gif wink.gif

+Quote Post

35 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:59 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.