40 Pages V  « < 27 28 29 30 31 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
Cape York - Northern Havens, Sol 2780 - 2947
fredk
post Feb 17 2012, 03:51 PM
Post #421

Group: Members
Member No.: 152

I'm continuing to monitor Lemmon's fantastic Oppy weather page and I noticed something: the table of sols/opacity near the bottom of the page lists a couple of sols recently where tau dropped below 0.6, namely 2859 and 2861 - on both sols the table gives tau = 0.59. But the graph for MY31 doesn't drop below 0.6 for many sols. Perhaps this is just a matter of resolution on the plot?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Feb 17 2012, 11:55 PM
Post #422

Member No.: 530

http://marsrovers.nasa.gov/mission/status_...rtunityAll.html
... Indicates that the Mössbauer integration on Amboy began February 1st. Will be interesting to see when it stops!

+Quote Post
Matt Lenda
post Feb 18 2012, 04:39 PM
Post #423

Member No.: 6066

Whenever we get upwards of 100-something hours on it! Will take a while. She's an old bird.

What else has been going on in here? Winter ops and MSL have slowed down my shift work with Oppy... sad.gif

-m

+Quote Post
Deimos
post Feb 20 2012, 05:14 PM
Post #424

Martian Photographer

Member No.: 183

A quirk in the opacity page is that the data happen to get into it via two separate paths, just due to hysteresis. The plot shows individual data points, but they are filtered to only include mid-sol data (excluding, for instance, calibration data taken with a low Sun). The table shows data used in operations, which happens to be a sol-average that is more inclusive. The two are usually identical. On sols with calibration points (or for a recent sol, no mid-sol value), they diverge. The variation should be slight, but the low values in the table are due to the fact that the calibration values are systematically lower and indicating that tau will come down with the recalibration. I'll say more about that in a few days.

+Quote Post
walfy
post Feb 21 2012, 01:29 AM
Post #425

Member No.: 5161

Nothing particularly striking, but a shot that renders nicely in 3D from sol 2865, with interesting white-colored bands on a rock.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
walfy
post Feb 21 2012, 04:26 AM
Post #426

Member No.: 5161

Recent one, from sol 2869, and a rock with a little hole sandblasted for eons:

Attached Image

Keep sending them, Oppy!

+Quote Post
Stu
post Feb 21 2012, 02:25 PM
Post #427

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

New fanciful "nowhere near accurate scientifically, just a pretty picture" view of sunset at Endeavour Crater...

Attached Image

...created to illustrate new astropoem... http://roadtoendeavour.wordpress.com/2012/02/21/the-guide

--------------------

+Quote Post
DDAVIS
post Feb 21 2012, 07:11 PM
Post #428

Member No.: 10

I took my time with that gorgeous Sol 2847 sunset view, here is my version. (Also an experiment in linking to a Facebook album.)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1...mp;l=f7c48c16fb

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 22 2012, 03:21 AM
Post #429

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Beautiful job, Don!

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Feb 22 2012, 06:12 AM
Post #430

Member No.: 3988

Great job Don!

What a Marvelous Pancam sequence that turned out to be. Thanks to the whole MER team for making that possible.

+Quote Post
Deimos
post Feb 22 2012, 06:23 PM
Post #431

Martian Photographer

Member No.: 183

QUOTE (fredk @ Feb 17 2012, 03:51 PM) *

I just delivered recalibrated data for the next PDS release. Including the more recent data, the tau values look about the same at Ls=0 and fall back into line with previous years by Ls=30. All in all, MY31 so far looks quite like MY27, with tau now ~0.54. The dust coming out of the sky will mean more is modeled on the arrays, since power production is a known. I'm not sure when the update will go live; since it affects other systems, it must be done carefully.

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Feb 24 2012, 06:05 PM
Post #432

Member No.: 1241

While the panorama fills in... here is a little dune with an interesting rock formation off to the right.
To this old beach bum, it reminded me of rotten planking of a long ago and forgotten schooner sticking out of the dunes of Cape Cod. This was an L456, but the picture look really blue, so I adjusted it... huh.gif
Attached Image

EDIT: The old 'figure-ground' perception paradox. What looked like an upraised rock (at first) is actually a falling away down-slope. The dirt is darker (more in shadow, its falling away). The bright apex near the darkest materials is a 'cape' for lack of a better word. oops!

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Feb 25 2012, 10:25 AM
Post #433

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

A couple of extended MIs...

Combined Sol 2858 and 2874...
Attached Image

...and Sol 2805.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Stu
post Feb 26 2012, 11:42 AM
Post #434

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

"North Pole"... ( blink.gif )

Attached Image

Larger version on my blog at: http://roadtoendeavour.wordpress.com/2012/...ere-for-a-while

...where I ask Steve Squyres about plans for Oppy...

* Can you give us some idea of the plans and schedule for driving away from this winter haven? I gather we may be here for another few months - unless a friendly neighbourhood cleaning event gives Oppy a good brush?

Yeah, we'll be here for another few months unless we get lucky with the wind.

* And then? Head north to check-out the tip of Cape York, or backtrack and look for some more gypsum veins? Or is Solander Point - and the hills of Tribulation - calling from the south?

Basically south, I think. We want more gypsum veins, and we'd like to find a contact between the kind of rock we saw at Chester Lake and the kind of rock we saw at Tisdale. And then, of course, there's always the hunt for clays. But I don't think we'll want to prolong our stay at Cape York too much... we've already accomplished a lot here, and there's good stuff farther to the south. We'll see...

--------------------

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Feb 27 2012, 08:27 PM
Post #435

Member No.: 4338

QUOTE (PDP8E @ Feb 12 2012, 08:09 PM) *
... a 'real' ding ...

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...43P2544R2M1.JPG

Around the middle of the image, near the edge between light and shadow, is that a 'real' ding in the LGA?

+Quote Post

40 Pages V  « < 27 28 29 30 31 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:59 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.