17 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Enceladus Plume Search, Nov. 27
jmknapp
post Nov 28 2005, 05:56 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 13

Here's a map of the south polar region, based on Steve Alber's latest cylindrical projection (click for larger image):

This is an orthonormal projection, so the limb is the equator and the south pole ("tiger scratch" feature) is at the center of the image.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tasp
post Nov 28 2005, 06:29 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 162

Maybe I am 'seeing' too much into your map, but I keep thinking of Miranda and race tracks. . . . .

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Nov 28 2005, 06:41 PM
Post #33

Found this image of the south polar region (approximate south pole marked with circle, click for larger image):

raw image

--------------------

+Quote Post
canis_minor
post Nov 28 2005, 07:21 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 587

The features seen in these images are located at the south pole. At the time the images were taken, the Sun was directly below Enceladus as seen from the spacecraft, but the spacecraft was roughly in the plane of the satellites. So the center of the bright limb is right about at the south pole.

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Nov 28 2005, 07:37 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 105

The ridges and wrinkles in that region are a strong indication of tectonics and therefore heat flow, so it makes perfect sense that there will be venting and visible plumes.

Now to figure out why....

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Nov 28 2005, 08:17 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 184

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Nov 28 2005, 04:49 PM)
I think that there was always suspicion, but they wanted to avoid the humiliation of announcing a great discovery and then having to retract it.

I would certainly hope there was a healthy suspicion all along. In the previous forum discussion a few months ago, I expressed some of my own suspicion, even if it was tempered by some ensuing (and perhaps not entirely convincing?) replies.

On another note, I just made a south polar view in a perspective projection, available here:

http://laps.noaa.gov/albers/sos/saturn/enc..._cyl_www_P4.jpg

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
The Messenger
post Nov 28 2005, 08:44 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 460

QUOTE (jmknapp @ Nov 28 2005, 10:56 AM)
Here's a map of the south polar region, based on Steve Alber's latest cylindrical projection (click for larger image):

This is an orthonormal projection, so the limb is the equator and the south pole ("tiger scratch" feature) is at the center of the image.

Stretch Marks?

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Nov 28 2005, 08:47 PM
Post #38

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

I'm attaching a rendering I did showing the viewing geometry at 17:38 on November 27, 2005. Cassini took several images at roughly this time, for example these two:

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...eiImageID=54839

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...eiImageID=54840

I then rotated one of the Cassini images where the limb is overexposed to match the orientation of the rendered image, resized it to match the rendering size and pasted the plumes into the rendering.

This confirms that the source of the brightest plume (assuming we really are seeing plumes which seems very likely) is near the south pole. The fainter plumes appear farther from the pole. It should be noted that this might be an illusion, the brightest plume might be at the same distance or farther from the pole than the fainter ones if its source is well inside Enceladus' 'disc'.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
dilo
post Nov 28 2005, 09:03 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 150

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Nov 28 2005, 04:49 PM)
I think that there was always suspicion, but they wanted to avoid the humiliation of announcing a great discovery and then having to retract it.

Yes, a STRONG suspicion (the same I had! wink.gif )...
Anyway, I tried to code with colors the huge dinamic range covered by 3 images taken with increasing exposure time (N00043435/36/37):
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Nov 28 2005, 09:59 PM
Post #40

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Special release for the Enceladus plume:

http://ciclops.org/view_event.php?id=45

Spray Above Enceladus
http://ciclops.org/view.php?id=1652
this release shows the infamous images from January showing a brighting of the limb of Enceladus. Because this looked similar to artifacts seen at other moons, this was brushed off as an artifact as well. However, more indepth analysis of this sequence of images revealed that the" plume" was in fact real.

Fountains of Enceladus
http://ciclops.org/view.php?id=1688
In perhaps the fastest image release ever, this release shows the new jets found near in the south polar region of Enceladus.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Nov 28 2005, 10:01 PM
Post #41

QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Nov 28 2005, 04:47 PM)
This confirms that the source of the brightest plume (assuming we really are seeing plumes which seems very likely) is near the south pole. The fainter plumes appear farther from the pole. It should be noted that this might be an illusion, the brightest plume might be at the same distance or farther from the pole than the fainter ones if its source is well inside Enceladus' 'disc'.

This might help pin things down, assuming I got it accurately. Here's the viewing geometry I think, from the vantage point of an observer 100,000 km directly above the south pole:

--------------------

+Quote Post
mars loon
post Nov 28 2005, 10:31 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 212

This news just released by CICLOPS website

"The Fountains of Enceledus"

http://ciclops.org/view_event.php?id=45

"In a wonderful start to the Holiday season, Cassini imaging scientists are delighted by recent sightings of fountain-like plumes towering above Saturn's moon Enceladus. A fine spray of small, icy particles, emanating from the warm, geologically unique province surrounding the south pole of Enceladus and believed now to supply the material comprising Saturn's E ring, was first observed in images taken back on Jan. 16, 2005. Images of a crescent Enceladus returned by Cassini this past weekend show multiple plumes in striking detail. Stay tuned for future announcements on the sightings of the Enceladus plumes".

check the link for more info and images

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Nov 28 2005, 10:48 PM
Post #43

Guests

What's also striking is how obvious the plumes are - even in the RAW unprocessed images posted online. ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
mars loon
post Nov 28 2005, 11:29 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 212

QUOTE (Sunspot @ Nov 28 2005, 10:48 PM)
What's also striking is how obvious the plumes are - even in the RAW unprocessed images posted online.  ohmy.gif

Yes, this is a truly outstanding mission highlight !!!

Enceledus has been a mission star almost as bright as Titan. To see those plumes so clearly, and they have been on the hunt !!

NASA/ESA should consider an Enceledus lander to complement a Europa mission and follow-up for Titan.

+Quote Post
akuo
post Nov 28 2005, 11:29 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 63

Looking at the raws I noticed that the whole background of the images is light, not just the plumes. This is especially evident on the overexposed images of encaladus:

Notice how the background space is lighter than the "dark side" of Encaladus. Does this mean that plume material is all around, maybe making up a donut of the material around Encaladus's orbit?

--------------------
Antti Kuosmanen

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:30 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.