Reply to this topicStart new topic
Viking Landers, Book and website recommendations
scalbers
post Apr 15 2006, 03:12 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 184

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Apr 13 2006, 01:29 PM) *
I should add, I took the original pans from the Photojournal, but unfortunately they don't have the full Viking 2 pans. I think I have them on an old CD somewhere, but I don't know for sure where they are now. I seem to recall MSSS had them once, but I'm not sure where at the moment. Any advice?

Phil

Phil,

These have a special interest to me as my task as a college-age student working for 8 months with the Viking Lander Imaging Team at JPL was to construct these mosaics. Later versions of these after I had left ended up being the ones finally published. You probably have most of the online offerings covered. I do have via my home page a web page with links to the online versions that I could find.

I have a number of old prints and negatives from the versions I worked on, unfortunately no digital versions. I suppose I can always scan more of what I have though.

The URL discussed above is http://laps.noaa.gov/albers/viking.html that has various links to Viking Hi-res mosaics.

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 15 2006, 04:16 PM
Post #32

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Thanks everybody. I forgot about the dust pile observations - thanks, ed. When I get around to it in future I will follow up on that. And Steve - thanks. It's going to be some time before I can get back to the Viking 2 pans, but I will eventually.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Apr 15 2006, 04:34 PM
Post #33

Guests

Does anybody know where the encapsulated Viking landers ( together with Aeroshell and heatshield in a closed Bioshield which consisted of a base and dome-cap ) were dry heat sterilized ?
NEC Corp should have done this prior to sending the landers to KSC for mating with the orbiters ... any weblink? blink.gif

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Apr 16 2006, 09:02 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 174

The Viking 1 dust-pile images will be on whatever NASA USGS web site has the mission data, together with abstracts from LPSC meetings in the late 70's and early 80's. Peer-Reviewed papers were probably published, but I'd have to wade into the stacks and DIG.

Viking 1 was set on an entirely automated monitoring mission, taking and blindly transmitting to Earth segments from complete panoramas that would steadily build up with time, calibration test chart pics. and a very few (as I recall) repeated targets like ?some? of the dust piles. When DSN antennas capable of receiving the signal (Mars-Earth range dependent, I expect) and not busy with other missions like Voyager or Pioneer Venus, they'd get the week's Viking data dump on some sort of "least cost / best effort" basis. I'm vaguely recalling they got maybe 60% of the transmissions.

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Jun 9 2006, 05:27 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 430

Remember when Calvin and Hobbes went to Mars and landed near Viking 1...

http://www.calvin-und-hobbes.com/chwp34l.jpg

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Jun 16 2006, 05:03 AM
Post #36

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/langley/events...g30_agenda.html

SCHEDULE

Viking 30th Anniversary Conference

Mars: Past, Present and Future

Thursday, June 22, 2006

9 a.m. - 5 p.m. EDT

H.J.E. Reid Conference Center
NASA Langley Research Center
Hampton, Va.

--------------------
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Jul 6 2006, 12:50 PM
Post #37

A couple days late, but this July 4 was the thirtieth anniversary of when Viking 1
was *supposed* to land on Mars, but the mission team decided the original
landing site was too rough.

Of course it would have been a very nice capper to the United States celebrating
the Bicentennial of our Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1976, but too much
had been put into the Viking landers to risk such a thing. Besides, the historic landing
might also have found itself relegated to a less important status in the public view
with everything else going on that day.

So they waited and ended up landing Viking 1 on another historic day, this one
even more appropriate - July 20, the seventh anniversary of the first manned
landing on the Moon with Apollo 11.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jim from NSF.com
post Jul 6 2006, 05:27 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 734

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Apr 15 2006, 12:34 PM) *
Does anybody know where the encapsulated Viking landers ( together with Aeroshell and heatshield in a closed Bioshield which consisted of a base and dome-cap ) were dry heat sterilized ?
NEC Corp should have done this prior to sending the landers to KSC for mating with the orbiters ... any weblink? blink.gif

In SAEF-2 at KSC.

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Jul 20 2006, 09:14 AM
Post #39

Guests

1976 - 2006 = 30 years of VIKING ...
Dr Gentry LEE still emotional about it:

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/videos/mars/viking-062206/

mars.gif

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jul 23 2006, 07:39 PM
Post #40

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

I have tried another attempt to clean up the Viking 1 view of the nearby relatively large crater.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jul 29 2006, 04:15 PM
Post #41

Here is another one...

--------------------

+Quote Post
mars loon
post Jul 29 2006, 10:05 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 212

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Jul 29 2006, 04:15 PM) *
Here is another one...

this is dramatic and beautiful.

+Quote Post
mars loon
post Jul 29 2006, 11:55 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 212

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Jun 16 2006, 05:03 AM) *
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/langley/events...g30_agenda.html
Viking 30th Anniversary Conference
Mars: Past, Present and Future

Thursday, June 22, 2006

NASA Langley Research Center
Hampton, Va.

This was an outstanding conference. The Viking 30th Anniversary was also celebrated at MARS DAY 2006 at NASM DC on 21 July 2006 at the Viking Lander model.
http://www.nasm.si.edu/marsday/marsdaysched.html

some comments here :
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=2961

ken

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Aug 11 2006, 03:22 PM
Post #44

Here is a super-res view of a nearby mound or crater. The color data for this area is bad, and I am still working on it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Aug 12 2006, 02:57 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 114

Very cool!

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 08:41 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.