19 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
TEGA - Round 2
post Aug 9 2008, 06:47 PM
Post #121

Group: Members
Member No.: 667

TEGA oven #5 not full yet

NASA Phoenix Mission News: Soil Studies Continue at Site of Phoenix Mars Lander (2008 August 9)

"There appear to be clumps blocking the opening," said Doug Ming of NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston, the Phoenix team's science lead on Friday. "However, we have seen in the past that when this soil sits for a while, it disperses. We intend to fill an oven with this material, either by additional vibration of the same screen or by opening doors to one of the other TEGA cells."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZenDraken
post Aug 9 2008, 09:56 PM
Post #122

Member No.: 4222

QUOTE (Greg Hullender @ Aug 8 2008, 04:56 PM) *
Wouldn't it be simpler to devise something to blow the area clean after each experiment? Seems to me it'd be difficult to get suction in a near vacuum.

--Greg

A compressed air system would add considerable complexity, weight, and power demand. But a small brush would work and be really simple and lightweight.

I keep saying robotic missions should include some basic tools. These would have been really handy on Phoenix:
1. A prybar: just a metal probe, to push, pull, pry, or whatever's needed. (forcing open TEGA doors)
2. A brush for general cleaning, (like cleaning TEGA). Another brush mounted to the lander somewhere would be handy for cleaning sticky stuff out of the scoop.

These could have been permanently built-in to the RA, perhaps on the back of the scoop, no need for extra moving parts.

A hammer of some sort might be useful but would probably require a solenoid actuator, which means added complexity, weight, and power draw. Always KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) or you're just adding problems.

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Aug 9 2008, 10:01 PM
Post #123

Member No.: 103

Don't forget duct tape. Can't go on a long trip without duct tape. And a Swiss Army knife.

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 10 2008, 12:31 AM
Post #124

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (ZenDraken @ Aug 9 2008, 10:56 PM) *
Always KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) or you're just adding problems.

That's exactly how I would describe your entire suggestion.

Which parts of the instrument payload would you sacrifice for your additions, MECA, TEGA or LIDAR. Your call.

Doug

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Aug 10 2008, 12:45 AM
Post #125

Member No.: 321

What about just having the surface be sloped 45 degrees? Try to beat that for no-moving-parts.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Aug 10 2008, 12:47 AM
Post #126

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (ZenDraken @ Aug 9 2008, 01:56 PM) *
I keep saying robotic missions should include some basic tools. These would have been really handy on Phoenix:

Even better, the Opportunity lander should have included some wire, automated pliers and a soldering gun. Then it would have been able to fix the short that kept the arm heater on. Spirit should have included a power wrench so they could have removed the stuck wheel. The Mars Climate Orbiter should have included a subroutine that responded with "Are you sure you meant to send those orbital insertion instructions in imperial units and not metric?" And of course, we all know Apollo 13 should have had spare oxygen tanks and a redundant secondary electrical system.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Aug 10 2008, 02:12 AM
Post #127

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

Or how about just a simple paper clip? Works for MacGyver....

MacGyverisms

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
gallen_53
post Aug 10 2008, 04:11 AM
Post #128

Member No.: 24

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Aug 10 2008, 01:47 AM) *
Even better, the Opportunity lander should have included some wire, automated pliers and a soldering gun. Then it would have been able to fix the short that kept the arm heater on. Spirit should have included a power wrench so they could have removed the stuck wheel. ..

How about: Send along an astronaut and if something breaks, he/she can fix it.

+Quote Post
BrianL
post Aug 10 2008, 04:52 AM
Post #129

Member No.: 721

QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 9 2008, 06:31 PM) *
Which parts of the instrument payload would you sacrifice for your additions, MECA, TEGA or LIDAR. Your call.

That's a pretty easy call, given that TEGA seems neither particularly well thought out or implemented.

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Aug 10 2008, 05:45 AM
Post #130

Member No.: 590

QUOTE (djellison @ Aug 9 2008, 05:31 PM) *

Hardware's not my strong suit, but is it truly so difficult to have multiple attachments on the robotic arm? I can see how multiple scientific instruments would be tough, but "dumb" attachments like a pick and a brush don't seem like they should sink the boat.

Anyone know if anything like that was even considered?

--Greg

+Quote Post
Deimos
post Aug 10 2008, 06:06 AM
Post #131

Martian Photographer

Member No.: 183

QUOTE (Greg Hullender @ Aug 10 2008, 05:45 AM) *
Anyone know if anything like that was even considered?

Similar things were considered, such as a scoop brush. The scoop currently has a drill and a TECP. It is near a camera. Any scoop-end device would have to be dealt with in ops--TECP greatly complicates RAC and limits how close to the surface it can take pictures. Put a brush near it, make the brush stay clean when the TECP is inserted, and I could see you might have problems. Then you have to deal with degrees of freedom--using a wrist-mounted brush to clean TEGA would be tricky. You have 6 degrees of freedom with something held in your fingers, which is enough to hold something where you want it, oriented how you want it. The most you can get out of the RA is 4 degrees of freedom, you you have a trade between where you want it and how you want it aimed.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Aug 10 2008, 06:23 AM
Post #132

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

QUOTE (ilbasso @ Aug 9 2008, 11:01 PM) *
Don't forget duct tape. Can't go on a long trip without duct tape. And a Swiss Army knife.

... and a towel. Space travellers should never go anywhere without a towel, as the Guide says. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 10 2008, 09:47 AM
Post #133

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (BrianL @ Aug 10 2008, 05:52 AM) *
That's a pretty easy call, given that TEGA seems neither particularly well thought out or implemented.

And that is an utterly lousy call given that we have successfully delivered two sample, and have plenty of opportunities left to deliver more.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Aug 10 2008, 11:34 AM
Post #134

Member No.: 1345

QUOTE (BrianL @ Aug 10 2008, 12:52 AM) *

I disagree.

Cooking and sniffing the subsurface of Mars is the reason Phoenix went there in the first place.

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
BrianL
post Aug 10 2008, 01:58 PM
Post #135

Member No.: 721

Of course TEGA is a necessary instrument. The suggestion was tongue in cheek. I simply felt that, with his challenge, Doug opened the door for injecting a bit of criticism.

Edit: I've taken out some additional comments. I'm a bit crankier than usual from having buggered up my back yesterday, cleaning algae off the fish tank, of all things.

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:24 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.