Reply to this topicStart new topic
EChO - Exoplanet Characterisation Observatory, Proposed ESA M-class mission
Thomas Lesinski
post Feb 29 2012, 12:01 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4961

ESA EChO home page

This proposed mission would rely on a 1.5 m telescope and a 0.4-16 µm spectrometer, with average resolution but exquisite photometric stability, to perform transmission spectroscopy of transiting exoplanets. It would also do time-resolved spectroscopy of stellar systems, allowing to determine reflection spectra of exoplanets as their phase varies as seen from earth. The latter would also allow, in some cases, to get coarse cartographic data and constrain atmospheric models. Oh, and potentially detect biosignature O3 on temperate super-earths around M-dwarf stars.

It is one of four contenders for the M3 slot (2022 launch). I like how they get a significant part of Darwin's science output by trading spatial resolution (hard) for sensitivity and time resolution (easier). I don't know, I just find it amazing blink.gif

Science summary on the mission website

Edit: Reflection, not emission. The temperature difference between day and night would probably not be significant enough for that.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Drkskywxlt
post Feb 29 2012, 05:47 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1083

Sounds like a great mission. My only caveat is that with a lower bound of ~1.5 Earth-radii in the habitable zone, a lot of the planets they can characterize will probably be better classfied as sub-Neptunes (i.e., not primarily rocky).

+Quote Post
Thomas Lesinski
post Feb 29 2012, 10:21 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 4961

QUOTE (Drkskywxlt @ Feb 29 2012, 12:47 PM) *
My only caveat is that with a lower bound of ~1.5 Earth-radii in the habitable zone, a lot of the planets they can characterize will probably be better classfied as sub-Neptunes (i.e., not primarily rocky).

That would stille be valuable science. Moreover, planets such as Gliese 581d might be within its reach (not transiting, so reflection only. Not sure if it's possible, trying to find out...). And once the technique is perfected, getting better sensitivity only requires a bigger telescope (read: light bucket). No need to formation-fly spacecraft with nanometer precision.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:01 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.