Reply to this topicStart new topic
Juno perijove 5, March 27, 2017
nprev
post Apr 14 2017, 11:59 PM
Post #46

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

It's not possible. It's a complex low or high-pressure center, more likely the former.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Roman Tkachenko
post Apr 17 2017, 06:49 PM
Post #47

Group: Members
Member No.: 7822

Jupiter at 6000 km

--------------------

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Apr 17 2017, 08:14 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 184

QUOTE (nprev @ Apr 14 2017, 11:59 PM) *
It's not possible. It's a complex low or high-pressure center, more likely the former.

There are also some ring shaped IR features in the image I posted in post #37, though I'm unsure if they are analogous.

Very impressive image Roman - looks like a closer view of some convective systems in the upper right.

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Apr 17 2017, 10:44 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 321

Wow, Roman. In the upper right, there are patterns that crisscross, apparently because a higher cloud layer is translucent and details at two different levels are visible. Unless that's an illusion, that is a very powerful sort of detail, and I don't recall ever seeing something like that in visible light Jupiter imagery before.

+Quote Post
Spock1108
post May 6 2017, 06:07 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 7840

Roman congratulations! A crazy image! What is the resolution of this image? Is Beats images of Voyager and Galileo? I have never seen cloudy structures so clear on Jupiter!

+Quote Post
Gerald
post May 17 2017, 09:40 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 6780

The "storyboard" version of a PJ05 flyby movie I started to render:
Attached Image
The sequence covers PJ05 images #99 to #116.
The intended final version will be 1280x720 pixels (16x larger than the thumbnail, and rotated by 90 degrees), 12x the number of frames (108.48 seconds anticipated with 25 fps, give or take a few seconds), and enhanced.
Rendering one second of the movie takes roughly one hour, depending on the content. So, I hope, that most of the movie will be rendered, before the next week-end is over, and PJ06 images wait for being processed.

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post May 18 2017, 01:33 AM
Post #52

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

QUOTE (Gerald @ Mar 29 2017, 01:56 PM) *
Polar projection of PJ-05 image #111, and detail, enhanced in different ways:
[attachment=41104:JNCE_201...t2_jpg98.jpg]
(NASA / JPL / SwRI / MSSS / Gerald Eichstädt)

What is the exact location of the pole in this image? I'm working on PJ5 image 111 as well and want to include a version with a lat/lon grid but as a 'sanity check' I wanted check I've got the pole at the same (or a similar) position as in your image. I think the pole is at ~(900,155) in your image.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post May 18 2017, 08:34 AM
Post #53

The pixel position you assume for the pole is within my error ellipse.
I still have a known inaccuracy in my camera geometry, so can't tell the exact pixel position. -- Fixing this is one of my high-priority tasks for the next few days, hopefully...

+Quote Post
Gerald
post May 18 2017, 12:53 PM
Post #54

This is one of the stills of the movie I'm trying to create:
Attached Image

In the meanwhile, fragments covering 53 seconds are rendered (most of the time with three CPU cores running in parallel).
Approach (#99 to #104) and most of the departure (#113 to #116) are completed. The particularly computer-power consuming close-ups are still to be rendered.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post May 19 2017, 04:44 PM
Post #55

Here another two stills of more than 2000 in the meanwhile:
Attached Image

Attached Image

These close-ups will move rather rapidly in the 125-fold time-lapse; the stills allow a closer look.
An expected 16 movie seconds still to render. Those will take roughly one day of CPU core time. Distributed on three cores, the movie should be completed tomorrow.

+Quote Post
Sean
post May 19 2017, 09:40 PM
Post #56

Member No.: 7837

This is looking spectacular Gerald. Looking forward to tomorrow!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post May 19 2017, 11:00 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 542

They're beautiful but I'm wodering why all the images are so blue-green?

+Quote Post
Gerald
post May 20 2017, 02:07 AM
Post #58

Youtube upload of Perijove-05 animation completed.
Youtube refused my AVI version; so I needed to upload a terribly large 500 MB+ MOV file.
However, quality may have suffered a bit in the youtube version.

The bluish-green can be of at least two reasons:
- Jupiter's haze appears to be bluish, especially when seen from acute angles, and near the poles.
- Some portions of some of the images are saturated in the red filter band, resulting in a cast to the complementary color, i.e. greenish-bluish. This risk has been taken, in order to obtain better S/N.

+Quote Post
HSchirmer
post May 20 2017, 02:29 AM
Post #59

Member No.: 7619

QUOTE (nprev @ Apr 15 2017, 12:59 AM) *
QUOTE (Jerry)
I don't know if it's possible in a gas medium, but it almost looks like a complex crater.

Well, considered broadly, e.g. "cavity, gravity, rebound" it's not an entirely incorrect analogy.

It's just density and gravity and equilibrium; although one is hot rock, the other is hot air....

Complex crater with a rebounding central peak isn't all that different from a summer thunderstorm anvil cloud.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post May 20 2017, 06:23 PM
Post #60

Here is a link to the AVI version of the PJ05 flyby video, in case you find time to create derived products, or simply if you like to watch the movie in better quality.

EDIT: 2703 png still frames of the movie zipped, together about 1.7 GB (huge!) :
part 1
part 2
part 3
part 4

Note, that the file names between the parts aren't strictly disjoint, however the files are different!

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:24 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.