Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Stardust Raw Images Of Wild 2
elakdawalla
post Jan 10 2006, 09:40 PM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I just created an index page to the 72 raw images captured by Stardust of Wild 2 on the day of the encounter (downloading the original images from the PDS in a jiffy with that wGet software -- what a great innovation):

Stardust Encounter with Wild 2: Raw Image Catalog

As I was working with it to compose more stuff about Wild 2 for our website I realized that all those raw images are flipped left-to-right. Compare this one:

to the maps from the Brownlee et al Science publication:

I am assuming that these (as well as the ones in the Sekanina et al paper that follows it) have the correct orientation.

And yet the most famous picture of Wild 2, the one used for the cover of Science in fact, has not been flipped.

This is really key (and confusing) in part because of the team's names for those big, flat-floored depressions -- Left and Right Foot. Which one's left and which one's right depends on whether the images have been flipped or not!

I'm sure this is not news to people who paid more attention to Stardust when the encounter happened than I did. Does anybody here know anything about why the images in the PDS are flipped?

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:12 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.