IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

converting IMAGE_TIME UTC to UT1
ncc1701d
post Jun 22 2016, 12:43 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1063

When images are taken the PDS header for a .IMG image file alway gives the "IMAGE_TIME" date in UTC time
2006-05-18T01:30:33.015Z which is zulu UTC

If i wanted to to get the matching UT1 that NASA might use for that particular "IMAGE_TIME" I would need to know how they handle leap seconds.

From my reading here
http://tf.nist.gov/pubs/bulletin/leapsecond.htm

It looks like there are two resolutions

It says
"The resolution of the DUT1 correction is 0.1 s, and represents an average value for an extended range of dates.
Therefore, it will not agree exactly with the weekly UT1-UTC(NIST) values shown in the earlier table, which have 1 ms resolution and are updated weekly"

So my question would be . What would NASA use to get the UT1 for that "IMAGE_TIME" if it was making a simulator or something? the 0.1 resolution or the weekly 1 ms resolution?
I might guess the higher resolution but maybe thats over kill or to inconvenient or may doesnt matter which resolution.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:35 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.