Reply to this topicStart new topic
Dawn approaches Ceres, From opnav images to first orbit
hendric
post Feb 6 2015, 04:17 PM
Post #256

Director of Galilean Photography

Group: Members
Member No.: 93

I read somewhere (maybe twitter or facebook) from the Dawn team that the "white" spot actually has an albedo closer to asphalt. So the spot is dark, and the rest of Ceres uber-dark. Super-dark? Ceres-dark?

Edited: Nevermind, can't find it now, and it looks like Ceres itself is close to asphalt albedo, so the white spot is brighter, but I couldn't find constraints on how much.

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Habukaz
post Feb 6 2015, 04:22 PM
Post #257

Member No.: 7310

QUOTE (ZLD @ Feb 6 2015, 04:57 PM) *
I took the animation from Toma's post, reduced the gamma with a slight compression to the color space to increase contrast of surface features. They're composited together and rotated 90* to the left because I find it easier to track elements that way.

http://i.imgur.com/98lPRNQ.gif

What's up with the last frame (after the the white spots have just stopped rolling downward in your version) in that + Toma's original animations? It looks like it contains more detail; it looks sharper than the rest of the frames.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Feb 6 2015, 05:02 PM
Post #258

Member No.: 5458

QUOTE (Habukaz @ Feb 6 2015, 10:22 AM) *
What's up with the last frame (after the the white spots have just stopped rolling downward in your version) in that + Toma's original animations? It looks like it contains more detail; it looks sharper than the rest of the frames.

The sharpness or blur of the frames is mostly due to artifacts introduced in the compression of the animated gif. The raw images would be much better quality, likely closer to that final frame. The public has not yet had access to those though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 6 2015, 10:03 PM
Post #259

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

This is a map made from the six processed frames I posted earlier. The relative brightness of different bright spots is affected by my processing and can't be taken too seriously. Also, registration is not very precise so positions can't be trusted. In fact, just ignore it altogether!

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Feb 6 2015, 10:10 PM
Post #260

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Feb 6 2015, 11:03 PM) *
This is a map made from the six processed frames I posted earlier. The relative brightness of different bright spots is affected by my processing and can't be taken too seriously. Also, registration is not very precise so positions can't be trusted. In fact, just ignore it altogether! Phil

WOW !
Thanks so much to our Cartographer-in-Chief !
Phil, you're the best !
wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Feb 6 2015, 10:13 PM
Post #261

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Now I'm glad I've procrastinated so long from finishing my blog post on these images smile.gif

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Feb 6 2015, 11:52 PM
Post #262

Member No.: 196

QUOTE (hendric @ Feb 6 2015, 08:17 AM) *
I read somewhere (maybe twitter or facebook) from the Dawn team that the "white" spot actually has an albedo closer to asphalt. So the spot is dark, and the rest of Ceres uber-dark. Super-dark? Ceres-dark?

Edited: Nevermind, can't find it now, and it looks like Ceres itself is close to asphalt albedo, so the white spot is brighter, but I couldn't find constraints on how much.

i think you probably read this "Ceres is very dark and reflects only nine percent of the incident sunlight. The bright spots are brighter by approximately 50 percent – and thus as dark as an asphalt surface."

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Feb 6 2015, 11:54 PM
Post #263

Member No.: 6780

Animated longitude/latitude projection, merged version, animated reprojection, and animated reprojection with grid:

For the merge of the individual lon/lat projections I've intended to weight most the projected ring between 0.7 and a little less 1.0 radii - with maximum weight at 0.85 radii - of the source images.
That ring seemed to be more distinguished due to the proximity to the terminator. Although using this outer zone of the soure images is rather sensitive to the registering and shape parameters; for the sake of making features visible I've accepted some distortions in this version.
I see a chance to retrieve some albedo, roughness, and inclination/topographic information; it will take more effort to find out to which degree this is possible.

Images and gifs of this post are based on the file pia19179-16.gif.

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Feb 7 2015, 12:59 AM
Post #264

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Member No.: 437

Wow ohmy.gif

Gerald, just what do you use, exactly, to reproject the raw images to a cylindrical format?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Feb 7 2015, 01:04 AM
Post #265

Here's a polar projection of Gerald's amazing mosaic, centered on the south pole, and contrast enhanced using Prime Number Tone Mapping:

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Feb 7 2015, 01:39 AM
Post #266

I've taken Gerald's latest DAWN-derived map, mixed it with Phil's HST-derived map, and created this view of Ceres, with the south pole at center:

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 7 2015, 01:43 AM
Post #267

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

If you overlay Gerald's opnav-3 map on mine you will find that there is a difference between them, as if the individual images are rotated differently before reprojection. I am only playing with the images, and any error in orientation is probably mine - you might want to use Gerald's map for more accurate positions.

Also - great combinations of maps, Ian. It's great to see the way these things come together here.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Feb 7 2015, 01:45 AM
Post #268

That's precisely what I did, Phil.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Feb 7 2015, 02:28 AM
Post #269

Member No.: 6780

QUOTE (Ian R @ Feb 7 2015, 01:59 AM) *
Gerald, just what do you use, exactly, to reproject the raw images to a cylindrical format?

I'm working with ellipsoids for the projections.
For this sequence I've been assuming a rotational ellipsoid, width 106 pixels, height 96 pixels; tested several combinations around these values.
Slightly dirty, the ellipsoid is derived from a sphere by reducing only the y-coordinate non-proportional, not (yet) by proper 3d rotation, since the axis tilt is small enough for using this as a first approximation.
The tilt of the rotation axis of the underlying sphere is -14 degrees around the x-axis , and -10 degrees around the z-axis (determined by patient try and error), relative to the y-axis resulting in a globe like this:
Attached Image

The precise subpixel-position of Ceres in the raw images is determined by a specific object tracker.

I've implemented the needed reprojection software in native C++ from scratch.

Btw.: Great view from the south pole!

+Quote Post
Julius
post Feb 7 2015, 07:59 AM
Post #270

Member No.: 741

The first far out images of Ceres make it look very similar to a Saturnian moon.

+Quote Post

51 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 20 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:35 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.