Closed TopicStart new topic
Dawn approaches Vesta, Approach phase, 3 May to 16 July 2011
Greg Hullender
post May 23 2011, 01:31 AM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 590

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ May 22 2011, 01:01 PM) *
OK, Dawn team! This is the bit where you release another image!

Up until June, when they have pics superior to Hubble, the only reason I can see for them to take the trouble to post anything is to remind us they love us. Their resources for outreach are thin, though, and I expect they're extremely busy right now. I'm sure they'll post something in due course.

--Greg
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post May 23 2011, 04:04 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 5221

And posting on a Sunday would be a big event for an imaging team, I imagine...

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post May 23 2011, 07:46 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 4489

Basically the same as Phil's
there is not much one can do with 16 px.
[attachment=24418:ast.png]

now some fun
the TV ncis's Abby
[attachment=24420:abby2.png]

we will just have to wait and see

+Quote Post
SFJCody
post May 23 2011, 10:06 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 12

Can't wait! If you consider the imagery of Titan taken by Voyager 1 as Titan's preliminary reconnaissance, the last time humanity got a first close-up look at a body this size or larger was Triton in 1989. Exactly the same statement can be made about Dawn's encounter with Ceres, and the encounter of New Horizons with Pluto.

+Quote Post
antipode
post May 26 2011, 09:11 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 1206

While we are all waiting for the next DAWN images, does somebody know that the IAA conventions will be for naming surface features on Vesta (and on Ceres eventually I guess)? What 'theme' will Vesta get, and will that include the giant south pole crater? I'm somewhat surprised that hasn't already been named, since its pretty unambiguous on ground based imagery...

P

+Quote Post
charborob
post May 26 2011, 12:19 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 3908

Go to this page, and scroll down to "Vesta". Ceres is not mentioned on this page.

+Quote Post
antipode
post May 28 2011, 03:57 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 1206

Thankyou sir - that's EXACTLY what I was looking for....

P

+Quote Post
Paolo
post May 28 2011, 05:48 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 1004

a new Dawn Journal is out
http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/journal_05_27_11.asp

+Quote Post
Toma B
post May 28 2011, 07:48 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 384

These are few last sentences of text about DAWN that I found in Sky & Telescope recently:
As Dawn sails closer, its pictures will continue to get sharper. By the end of May, scientists hope to be receiving images 12 pixels wide. In mid-June Dawn’s pictures will probably be comparable to those of Vesta taken by Hubble. When Dawn slows into orbit, its cameras — which should by then be taking images 250 pixels wide, a resolution of 2 km per pixel — will be turned off. When they are turned on at its mapping orbit in mid-August, the resolution will be 300 m per pixel. Dawn is scheduled to dip as low as 110 miles (175 km) above the surface next year and achieve a resolution of 30 m per pixel.

However when I checked those numbers with what I already know from other sources I was a bit confused.
I think I can beleive Marc Rayman that survey orbit's hight is 2700 km and from there Dawn's cameras can see Vesta with 250m/pix. From this I calculated that in "HAMO" (660 km high) resolution would be about 61 m and from LAMO (180 km high) resolution would be about 16 m/pix.
That numbers doesn't seem to be right with S&T magazine's article?
So can somebody tell me who's wrong here or if Survey orbit, HAMO and LAMO hights have been changed?

--------------------
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
Jules H. Poincare

My "Astrophotos" gallery on flickr...

+Quote Post
CAP-Team
post May 29 2011, 07:29 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 1067

According to Celestia, Vesta is now 3' 32,5" in diameter, as seen from Dawn, at a distance of about 540,000 kilometers.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post May 30 2011, 01:53 AM
Post #41

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Would sure be nice if we could confirm that with an actual photo from Dawn sad.gif

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Astro0
post May 30 2011, 10:04 AM
Post #42

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

I'm surprised that we haven't seen any more images from the approach phase.
Sure, they might be just a few pixels and little to see but at least that's 'something'.

I wonder if the mission realises that there is serious interest out there in the public for new images - 'even if it's just a blur of pixels'.
Is there a tree we can shake?

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 30 2011, 11:27 AM
Post #43

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I did! Sometimes it's more a matter of people not seeing possibilities - like the ISRO people who didn't release video of the MIP descent to the Moon because it rotated too fast, not seeing that there would be other ways to do it, like placing images in turn on a scrolling map...

Here, we are supposed to be getting pictures each week. Just releasing the weekly images would show Vesta gradually growing, gradually being resolved a bit more each time, and by now there should be some variation with longitude to look at. or some colour to play with. Any number of composites and animations showing growth and rotation could already exist. I also pointed out that if they just release the images, outside people like UMSF will multiply their efforts many times over.

Come on Dawn! We're ready for you.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
tek_604
post May 31 2011, 06:29 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 4327

For those of you on facebook, the Dawn Framing Camera now has its own page. You can like it if you wish smile.gif

+Quote Post
SFJCody
post May 31 2011, 10:57 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 12

If they get enough 'likes' will they release another image?

+Quote Post

29 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 07:12 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.