Closed TopicStart new topic
Dawn approaches Vesta, Approach phase, 3 May to 16 July 2011
dilo
post Jul 16 2011, 06:43 AM
Post #421

Group: Members
Member No.: 150

QUOTE (Greg Hullender @ Jul 16 2011, 03:39 AM) *
Why are you so sure there's a strictly linear relationship between velocity and distance from Vesta?

Greg, perhaps you're referring to a velocity that is relative to Vesta but isn't TOWARD it; the distinction could explain the incongruences between simulation and mission update velocities: if we assume the former is total velocity and latter is only the radial component, we can argue a 45° angle between these two directions (or, if you prephere, between Dawn trajectory and the Dawn-Vesta vector) in the last hours.
This makes sense! In fact, the meaning of "orbit capture" just occurred becomes: "spacecraft total speed went under 47 m/s, which correspond to a parabolic trajectory at current distance of 16000km".
An interesting fact is that, in spite of Vesta gravity, spacecraft continues to decelerate, even though at decreasing rate (3e-5 m/s2 in the last 20 hours); this confirms that motors are on and are struggling against asteroid's gravity... rolleyes.gif

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Littlebit
post Jul 16 2011, 02:44 PM
Post #422

Member No.: 1041

QUOTE (Paolo @ Jul 14 2011, 07:16 AM) *
they must be joking, that's clearly Miranda...

blink.gif

As Emily has observed, it is sobering how much this asteroid resembles moons in other places.

Shes coming in a little hot captain, I'm not sure the engines can take it...

A asteroid orbital insertion could be boring, but this one isn't...just think of it in terms of le tour.

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Jul 16 2011, 03:34 PM
Post #423

Member No.: 590

QUOTE (dilo @ Jul 15 2011, 11:43 PM) *
Greg, perhaps you're referring to a velocity that is relative to Vesta but isn't TOWARD it;

Actually, I was just confused by your graph. It only sounded like I was asking an intelligent question. Sorry about that! :-)

However, now that we're on the same page, I agree with you. They key isn't the circular orbital velocity at a given distance; it's the escape velocity for that distance. Weirdly, since that's a function of energy, it doesn't seem to matter what direction Dawn is going (as long as it doesn't hit Vesta). When it's below the escape velocity for its current distance, then we could say it's in orbit around Vesta.

A graph of the hyperbolic excess velocity as a function of time would look pretty cool. Can you make that one?

Depending on how we want to define "orbit" of course, but let's not go there; I still think we need a rule against astro-linguistics discussions. :-)

--Greg

+Quote Post
punkboi
post Jul 17 2011, 08:14 AM
Post #424

Member No.: 535

Welcome to Vesta!

NASA's Dawn Spacecraft Enters Orbit Around Asteroid Vesta

PASADENA, Calif. -- NASA's Dawn spacecraft on Saturday became the first probe ever to enter orbit around an object in the main asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/dawn/new...wn20110716.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jul 17 2011, 05:05 PM
Post #425

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

Moving the discussion over HERE

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...ic=7011&hl=

Topic now closed, but still available for browsing.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post

29 Pages V  « < 27 28 29
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:20 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.