An Alien Probes View Of Earth
DDAVIS
post Aug 17 2005, 08:12 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10

At this page:
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/video/...4/html/fd1.html
can be seen reduced and compressed but still incredible videos from the STS 114 SRB mounted cameras. the Right booster camera sequence at the bottom of the page is close to what I imagine a passing interstellar expedition might get back from an entry probe. As the booster tumbles various parts of the cloud streaked Earth move through the view, reminding me of the haphazard capturing of the surroundings we saw with the Huygens probe. Upon water impact we briefly get an underwater view. A probe dropped randomly on Earth would have about a 70 percent chance in landing in an ocean.
I would hope designers of future atmospheric probes would consider returning video during their descents to be worthwhile as data return capability improves.

Don
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Aug 17 2005, 08:56 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 15

I saw those videos (one from each SRB) on NASA-TV, full size and full resolution, and I completely agree with you, Don. They are amazing.

I was very much taken aback by the sound track -- the cameras had attached microphones. The sound of the motors running was actually not all that noticeable, just a high-pitched, loud hum. But the sound of the air passing them as they fell, becoming thicker and thicker as the boosters descended, causing sounds of metal flexing from deep within the walls of the boosters, was uncanny. It made me feel like I was riding a sinking ship down to the bottom, but violently and hyper-fast.

I guess the best way to describe those films is exhiliarating, and scary!

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Astrophil
post Aug 17 2005, 09:38 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 232

Wow.

Those videos are absolutely amazing. As Don says - and perhaps the compression artefacts actually help give this feeling - it's very much like a Huygens for Earth. I'm glad we're not relying on a mosaic from those images!

+Quote Post
paxdan
post Aug 17 2005, 09:46 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Aug 17 2005, 09:56 AM)
I saw those videos (one from each SRB) on NASA-TV, full size and full resolution, and I completely agree with you, Don.  They are amazing.
I guess the best way to describe those films is exhiliarating, and scary!

stunning ride. echoes of mercury, gemini and apollo with the water spash down. it brings home what an extraoridinary trip going and returning to the moon must have been, from space to ocean in a matter of minutes! I dont know which ending i liked best, the underwater view from the right SRB or the amazing shot of the parachutes from the left SRB.biggrin.gif

if anyone knows where i can download the high res bung up a link. they are keepers.

+Quote Post
Pertinax
post May 9 2006, 07:36 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 181

Just thinking of the STS114 SRB videos again and wondering if any here know of either

1) links to high (TV+) resolution

or

2) the videos available for purchase (VHS and or DVD)

Any help will be greatly appriciated!

-- Pertinax

+Quote Post
dilo
post May 9 2006, 09:18 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 150

A truly mystic experience, especially the sound!
Something that remind me the alien sounds from last scenes of "2001 a Space Odissey".
This give a realistic idea of a sub-orbital ride, perhaps a common experience in few years, at least for reach people (not me!).
I have to deeply thank you, Don.

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
lyford
post May 10 2006, 03:17 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 124

Pertinax - thanks for bumping this thread - I missed it first time around - very cool.

QUOTE (dilo @ May 9 2006, 02:18 PM) *
A truly mystic experience, especially the sound!
Something that remind me the alien sounds from last scenes of "2001 a Space Odissey".

I was thinking that exact same thing - It even inspired me to break out this old CD set.

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:43 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.