IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Whole Earth images, Does any satellite provide regularly updated ones?
elakdawalla
post Mar 8 2007, 04:17 PM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

There are tons of Earth observing satellites producing gorgeous detailed images, but I'm trying to figure out if any of them is capable of producing full-globe images of Earth on some regularly updated basis. Does anyone here know of such a beast? Are there weather monitoring satellites that do this?

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 8 2007, 04:32 PM
Post #2

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Well - there's Meteosat, the European geostationary effort - but that's just one side of said globe. The latest version of Meteosat is the second generation vehicle ( MSG ) which is producing good imagery at high res, every 6 hours. Of course that means basically one full colour image over 0 degrees per day ( the 0600 and 1800 images are, of course, half dark )

Proper website is www.eumetsat.de ( might have seen signposts for Eumetsat on the way into Darmstadt on the Bus - just opposite ESOC )

I'd recommend here - http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk - (free reg required for good stuff) for regular full res MSG imagery as well as from other, not quite so high-res or full colour etc sats. (i.e. GOESE, GOESW, IODC, MTSAT). TECHNICALLY...one could take these multiple geostationary views, and fudge some sort of global view from them.

Also - Aqua and Terra each with my favorite polar orbiting instrument MODIS, do technically cover the entire glove at about 500m/pixel, in colour, at about 1200 and 1400 LOCAL time every day - but I don't believe they produce a daily global product, just the swathes in near real time and a lot of near realtime subset that are reprojected - http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/

I guess it depends on what you mean by global.

Doug
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Mar 8 2007, 04:39 PM
Post #3

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

This will get you the "other" side of the globe. (click on the type of view and you'll get the full disk)
http://www.goes.noaa.gov/goesfull.html

And this will get you a full globe snapshot. (The rotating globe movie is waaaaaay cool-o!)
http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/composites.html

-Mike

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Mar 8 2007, 04:40 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 530

You'd have to be pretty far out there to fit the whole globe in one frame, no?

The NOAA whole-earth water vapor movies are fantastic... neat eddies.

+Quote Post
Tom Womack
post Mar 8 2007, 04:44 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1551

I think you could get full-globe images by combining pictures from multiple weather satellites, but obviously you get no more than a hemisphere from anything in GEO. Earth is (if I've done my sums right) 20 degrees across from GEO, so you need some sort of scanning platform to take your detector across Earth.

Ah, this is already done: http://www.ghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/globalwv.html has global images composed from GOES-EAST (over Peru), GOES-WEST (over the Pacific), and the two Meteosats over the Bight of Benin and Sri Lanka. I suspect there's a Japanese satellite filling the gap east of India.

These don't show the poles very well for geometric reasons, and are monochrome (OK, they're trichrome, but those are 10.8u infra-red, 2u infra-red and visible).

The polar Earth-observing satellites (say http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/) get any point on Earth every few days, but clouds move fast enough that the pictures will look pretty ugly and not line up.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Mar 8 2007, 04:46 PM
Post #6

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

Modis covers the entire earth every one to two days, depending on how the Aqua and Terra ground tracks fall. This page has some good stuff http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_rec.php?id=2429

Seawifs also gets nearly full coverage on a daily basis.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 8 2007, 04:47 PM
Post #7

Founder

Thought I would see just how hard it is to merge all the GEO MET IR imagery into one strip.....and the answer...with photoshop..is 'suprisingly hard'
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Mar 8 2007, 04:47 PM
Post #8

On second thought, Emily, you are breaking the law which states that the only global image of the earth is this one:

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Mar 8 2007, 04:49 PM
Post #9

Administrator

Member No.: 454

smile.gif

I'm asking this question on behalf of Lou, and I think what he really means by "global" is "looks like a globe" -- but then he probably wants to see the whole planet too. I'll have to find out what he really wants.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 8 2007, 04:53 PM
Post #10

Founder

Again...TEEEeeechnnically - one could take one of those global composites, reproject it as a texture in realtime and render out a globe-like sphere. But that's way beyond my talents (one offs, yeah, automated every few hours...pah)

Alternatively, who's got a few hundred million to launch Triana?

Doug

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Mar 8 2007, 05:16 PM
Post #11

I want to make a comment here, but I can't without being political, so I won't. But the link I gave in the post before my last one definitely has globe-like images.

--------------------

+Quote Post
helvick
post Mar 8 2007, 05:18 PM
Post #12

Dublin Correspondent

Member No.: 220

... the only global image of the earth is this one:

Hey - I can see my old house in that. smile.gif

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Mar 8 2007, 10:25 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 542

QUOTE (djellison @ Mar 8 2007, 04:47 PM) *
Thought I would see just how hard it is to merge all the GEO MET IR imagery into one strip

That is just amazing, Doug. What a thing to think of doing!

+Quote Post
Pando
post Mar 9 2007, 01:53 AM
Post #14

The Insider

Member No.: 73

QUOTE (stevesliva @ Mar 8 2007, 08:40 AM) *
You'd have to be pretty far out there to fit the whole globe in one frame, no?

That reminds me, here's another one... tongue.gif

+Quote Post
climber
post Mar 9 2007, 09:39 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 682

This is one of the more inspiring Earth image to me.
You can see city's lights on the dark side while others are still seeing the sun :

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:08 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.