Reply to this topicStart new topic
Instrument commissioning phase, Beginning final approach to the comet
elakdawalla
post Jun 25 2014, 06:57 PM
Post #31

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I have high hopes that at least the NAVCAM data will be available on that timeline, and today's release shows it'll be fun to play with. The distant approach phase is much more fun for a comet than it is for an asteroid, for sure!

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jun 26 2014, 03:52 PM
Post #32

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

They released all the frames from that animation as individual JPEGs (Zip file here). I spent a little while trying to make an animation where the background was black and star density nearer constant but couldn't produce anything I was happy with.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
dilo
post Jun 26 2014, 09:56 PM
Post #33

Group: Members
Member No.: 150

Emily, I tried too changing luminosity/contrast but resulting movie, reported below, isn't good... at least, it shows the increasing luminosity of approaching nucleus:
Attached Image

Note: I used only 11 frames and cropped field in order to have a small GIF to upload.

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jun 27 2014, 01:54 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 6780

That's the closest I could get within a few hours:

The gif is reduced to 660 pixels to fit into the 2 MB limit (I think) of imgur.
I've used the average brightness of the images as brightness calibration, after subtracting the minimum brightness (RGB channel-wise) over all images (removes vertical streaky artifacts).
Then I (actually a quick and dirty written piece of software) subtracted the minimum brightness (again each RGB channel) over the thus far processed first 21 images to partially clean the images from camera artifacts. This latter processing step probably reduced the brightness of CG a bit more than intended in the beginning of the sequence, but using all images instead has no noticible cleaning effect at all.
I guess, that the overall dark raw images at the end of the sequence cause the flickering, when using the calibration method sketched above; but I had no better easy-to-implement idea.

+Quote Post
dilo
post Jun 27 2014, 04:52 AM
Post #35

Great animation, Gerald! It would be nice to change frames duration in order to have a constant star speed...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jun 27 2014, 01:14 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 6780

Good idea!
Here versions for roughly 5 ms and 2.5 ms per vertical pixel motion, hence no constant frame rate:

(The 2.5 ms-per-vertical-pixel version may be challenging for some computers.)

Looks like some frames would be missing; those gaps could be filled by interpolated frames, I didn't do so.

+Quote Post
xflare
post Jun 27 2014, 01:16 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 84

Did anyone watch the google hangout?

From here they talk about image release policy. http://youtu.be/Ey0UedaFaMs?t=38m25s

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 1 2014, 12:39 PM
Post #38

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Getting closer!

Where is Rosetta? On 01 July 2014 Rosetta is 58,557 km from comet 67P/C-G and getting closer.

(ESA: http://sci.esa.int/home/ )

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Jul 3 2014, 02:30 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 1004

first hints of a shape
http://blogs.esa.int/rosetta/2014/07/03/th...ixel-at-a-time/

+Quote Post
dilo
post Jul 3 2014, 03:50 PM
Post #40

QUOTE (Paolo @ Jul 3 2014, 02:30 PM) *
first hints of a shape

Processed versions of June, 27 image (de-pixelized through gaussian filter, then false-colors):
Attached Image Attached Image
If my figures are right, based on Osiris Narrow-angle spec (0.0186 mrad/pixel) and on the distance, image resolution is 1.6km/pixel, so the nucleus is probably over-exposed because its true image should measure a couple of pixel while it appears 3 times larger...

--------------------

+Quote Post
xflare
post Jul 3 2014, 04:03 PM
Post #41

Member No.: 84

hmm based on the public comments here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-28146472 ESA might need to release more images. Although for people with a casual or little interest in the mission, an occasional image each week is probably sufficient. huh.gif

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Jul 3 2014, 04:14 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 1004

from http://blogs.esa.int/rosetta/2014/06/25/co...igation-camera/

we plan to share more NAVCAM images with you as we get closer to the comet. Because NAVCAM and the OSIRIS wide-angle camera have comparable resolution, we have an agreement with the OSIRIS team to try and avoid publishing too much NAVCAM data immediately, as they could be used to yield science data similar to that coming from OSIRIS. All Rosetta science instrument data have a proprietary period of 6 months, after which they will be publicly available in our archives, and thus all NAVCAM data will also be available no later than that.

I have a bad feeling about this... I think we are going to see another wave of "why they don't share all their images in real time" like we last saw in December for Chang'e 3.

+Quote Post
Ron Hobbs
post Jul 8 2014, 04:24 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 745

This is neat image from the Rosetta folks. One of the things I like to do in my outreach talks is give a sense of scale. This is an informative graphic in that regard.

It really is a flying mountain of ice and dust.

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jul 10 2014, 01:25 PM
Post #44

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

New images obtained on July 4:

http://blogs.esa.int/rosetta/2014/07/10/th...rosettas-comet/

The comet's shape is starting to become apparent. Not unexpectedly, it's at least a bit irregular. Referring to the end of the text in the above link, I get the impression that it is more round/lumpy than long/skinny but I'd really like to know the phase angle in these images.

+Quote Post
dilo
post Jul 10 2014, 02:01 PM
Post #45

Thanks Bjorn for highlight.
Here below my processed version with gaussian de-pixelization and false-color coding... to me, it appear a tri-lobate shape (vaguely recalling a water molecule!) but we need to go a little bit closer to be sure.
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:33 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.