Reply to this topicStart new topic
Voyager mosaics and images of Jupiter, A fresh look at some ancient stuff
tedstryk
post Sep 13 2010, 03:41 PM
Post #46

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

How do you reconstruct it then? The only way I have found is, like I said, clues within the image.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Sep 13 2010, 05:41 PM
Post #47

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Group: Members
Member No.: 437

These versions are only 'early drafts', mind you - the final movie should (hopefully) consist of stills that look similar to these:

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Sep 13 2010, 05:46 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 523

Nice, both the images and the videos. I can appreciate how labor intensive a video with that many frames can be, you had to have a *lot* of will power to do that I imagine.

Do you use calibrated or raw data?

--------------------

+Quote Post
machi
post Sep 13 2010, 09:22 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 4057

IanR:
Wonderfull job! It looks very promisingly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Sep 14 2010, 12:01 AM
Post #50

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

My movie now consists of exactly two frames that look like this:

Attached Image
Attached Image

This is an approach movie that has the GRS at a 'constant' location and starts in early January 1979. This looks fairly promising but I don't think I'll finish the movie this year - it's going to be (probably) almost 100 frames. The two frames above really require more careful processing but time is not unlimited so I don't know how much time I'm going to spend processing each frame. As usual the lack of accurate pointing greatly increases the amount of work per frame - in this case probably by a factor of 5 at least.

Jupiter's size will stay constant throughout the movie. This is accomplished by reprojecting the images to simple cylindrical projection and then rendering the resulting maps.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Sep 14 2010, 01:56 AM
Post #51

Administrator

Member No.: 454

Can't wait for the other 98 frames biggrin.gif

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Sep 27 2010, 02:13 PM
Post #52

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

Woah... BA's picked up on your GRS image! Great stuff, Bjorn! smile.gif

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastro...ize/#more-20537

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Sep 28 2010, 12:59 AM
Post #53

IMG to PNG GOD

Member No.: 38

Here is a preliminary version of a Voyager 1 movie showing the rotation of the Great Red Spot and a lot of other interesting cloud motions. It consists of 16 frames but the final version is going to consist of 66 frames (or something close to 66).

Attached File  jup_vgr1_sharp.avi ( 198.5K ) Number of downloads: 1928

This should be the most interesting part of the movie because this really is what will be the end of the final version so this part is of somewhat higher resolution than the start of the imaging sequence I'm using for the movie.

This movie is different from similar Voyager movies because I'm keeping Jupiter's size constant. This is accomplished by reprojecting the source images to simple cylindrical projection and then rendering everything using the same viewing geometry. I also sharpened the images a bit to better reveal various details.

One possible problem is that for some features there are slight changes in latitude from frame to frame. This is especially obvious in the polar regions. I suspect this is not a real feature but a consequnce of small errors in the camera angles I had to reverse engineer for all of the source images. Another problem is that I also had to reverse engineer the spacecraft position because the available SPICE kernels only contain Voyager 1's position from 6 February 1979 and onward and these images were obtained in January.

The source images where obtained on every Jovian rotation on January 23 to 29, 1979. During that interval Voayger 1's distance from Jupiter dropped from 42 to 36 million km. The images were obtained through orange, green and blue filters. Satellite and shadow transits have been removed using Photoshop.

Note: If playing the animation does not work the reason is probably that you don't have an H.264 codec installed. For the animation to work you need to have an H.264 codec installed (if you are using Windows you can find one here for example).

As a sample, here is a typical frame from the movie:

Attached Image

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 28 2010, 02:11 AM
Post #54

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Utterly. Beautiful. ohmy.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Sep 28 2010, 09:47 AM
Post #55

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

Wow, that is truly amazing! I forgot just how much the clouds churn as Jupiter rotates..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Sep 29 2010, 01:53 AM
Post #56

Fantastic work, Bjorn! cool.gif

As someone who has also dabbled with these images of late, I can appreciate the level of care you have taken assembling this sequence. For comparison, see a much more rudimentary version of the same movie that I put together a couple of months ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVMc5PTChwE

Voyager 1 actually took five sets of these 10-hour movies; each offset from another by 72 degrees of longitude.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Sep 29 2010, 01:58 AM
Post #57

Administrator

Member No.: 454

Now the red spot mosaic has been reposted on wired.com's GeekDad blog, one of my fave non-space blogs!

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
brellis
post Sep 29 2010, 03:29 AM
Post #58

Member No.: 1700

Every 1,000 times I see or read something amazing here, I feel compelled to say 'hooray'! Thanks so much

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Sep 30 2010, 03:21 PM
Post #59

Here's another GRS-centred time-lapse movie of Jupiter -- this time taken by Voyager 2:

http://www.footagevault.com/clip/FTV-0001380/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Sep 30 2010, 04:24 PM
Post #60

This is a contemporary-produced version of the movie that Bjorn's working on — notice the massive difference in quality, thanks to modern processing techniques and software (not to mention Bjorn's knack of eking out every smidgen of detail from this recalcitrant dataset):

http://www.footagevault.com/clip/FTV-0001415

--------------------

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:22 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.