Reply to this topicStart new topic
Go For Vostok
dot.dk
post Jan 26 2005, 09:11 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 107

Done with the heatshield and on the road to Vostok wink.gif

Time to put the pedal to the metal! How far is the maximum drive distance in one SOL? Will Oppy be able to make a new one day drive record despite the dust in the sky?

--------------------
"I want to make as many people as possible feel like they are part of this adventure. We are going to give everybody a sense of what exploring the surface of another world is really like"
- Steven Squyres
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 26 2005, 09:15 AM
Post #2

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Unlikely to break that 140m record - but 100m is doable, easily.

They may want to hop from feature to feature though - there's a lot of them out here

Impossible to tell how far they've gone from the Heatshield though. There's end of drive L7/R1 direction of drive mosaics - and lots of navcam, but not quite enough navcam to show us where the heatshield is yet smile.gif

I think they turned in place at the end of the drive - something thye often do to optimize the UHF pases ( i.e. limit line of sight blockage by PMA, HGA, LGA etc )

Doug

+Quote Post
dot.dk
post Jan 26 2005, 09:19 AM
Post #3

Yeah I too wanna know how far away they are from the heatshield biggrin.gif

But now Oppy has a chance to steal the total drive distance record from Spirit. Looks like Oppy is stealing all the limelite from Spirit laugh.gif
Poor Spirit sad.gif

--------------------
"I want to make as many people as possible feel like they are part of this adventure. We are going to give everybody a sense of what exploring the surface of another world is really like"
- Steven Squyres

+Quote Post
mook
post Jan 26 2005, 09:46 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 81

Oppy might be stealing the limelight from Spirit, but Spirit's gonna have the best views in the house for some time yet....

+Quote Post
dot.dk
post Jan 26 2005, 09:54 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (dot.dk @ Jan 26 2005, 09:19 AM)
Oppy might be stealing the limelight from Spirit, but Spirit's gonna have the best views in the house for some time yet....

Until Oppy reaches Victoria Crater wink.gif

Man, that thing gotta be HUGE ohmy.gif

--------------------
- Steven Squyres

+Quote Post
Bert
post Jan 26 2005, 01:27 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 157

Hi all,

Guest/lurker of the first hour here, finally breaking the spell! tongue.gif

I was looking at the "Route to Victoria" image ( http://mer.rlproject.com/index.php?showtopic=349 ) and I wondered where exactly Vostok Crater is in that image.

Does anyone know?

+Quote Post
Bert
post Jan 26 2005, 01:48 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 157

Nevermind.

I found the answer here:

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/pre...h-A357R1_br.jpg

+Quote Post
mars_armer
post Jan 26 2005, 03:34 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 143

Not sure if anyone has already posted this, but here's the initial driving plan from the heatshield to Vostok:

+Quote Post
dot.dk
post Jan 26 2005, 03:40 PM
Post #9

Wow great map biggrin.gif

But I really doubt those small craters are gonna show anything. They will only be small depressions on the plains. But then we will get to Vostok quicker smile.gif

--------------------
- Steven Squyres

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 26 2005, 03:54 PM
Post #10

Founder

Those little craters are just like Fram I'd imagine...

Vostok looks like it'll be a very interesting place though - almost like a stone age banjo enclosure smile.gif

Oh - PS - where in hells name did you get that picture smile.gif Is this another Pando situation? (From a happy-to-help insider, I could tell you, but I'd have to shoot you)

Wherever it came from thank you biggrin.gif

PPS - for those confused, north is left on that image.

Doug

+Quote Post
mars_armer
post Jan 26 2005, 04:27 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 143

QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 26 2005, 03:54 PM)
Oh - PS - where in hells name did you get that picture smile.gif  Is this another Pando situation? (From a happy-to-help insider, I could tell you, but I'd have to shoot you)

Wherever it came from thank you biggrin.gif

I'm not sure what Pando's situation is, but your guess is pretty good about mine. I have a couple of happy-to-help insiders. I don't know if they are breaking any rules in forwarding information, so I want to be careful about posting.

I debated whether to post the picture, but it seemed so informative I decided to take a chance. I imagine JPL will soon be releasing something similar, since there won't be much else for them to talk about during this driving phase.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jan 26 2005, 05:50 PM
Post #12

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

Good to see Oppy getting moving. I mean, remember, even Spirit's longer treck is only 2.5 miles....comparable to the outbound leg of a short dayhike. While the distance it has travelled has been remarkable, I think of how much of the nearby Great Smoky Mountains I could explore in a 2.5 mile hike (Granted, that would be limited by tree cover during portions of the year making it worse here on earth). I wonder how far Oppy will go....

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_paulanderson_*
post Jan 26 2005, 06:05 PM
Post #13

Guests

In the same TPS interview where he talks about Peace rock, Squyres also mentions Vostok in the last paragraph:

http://planetary.org/news/2005/mer-update_0121.html

"In coming sols, Opportunity will continue her journey southward along the Meridiani plains, to an area called Etched Terrain, "hop-scotching from crater to crater," as Squyres put it. The next target is Vostok -- a circular feature that is crater-like in appearance but is unusual. But from now one, she'll be giving those cobbles a second look."

I had also just heard him in a radio interview (Planetary Radio from TPS, January 3) where he said he had doubts that Vostok is actually a crater (or not a typical one at least) and he was quite interested in getting to it.

Paul

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 27 2005, 12:27 AM
Post #14

Founder

There's a new Director Update ( Jeff Favretto - he does cool ones biggrin.gif )

He mentioned that Opportunity was instructed to drive 80 metres today and it is hoped it will do ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY METERS tomorrow

let me say that again

ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY METERS.

If they do it - it's a new mars distance record smile.gif - and it'll put the heatshield as just a few pixels on Navcam and bring us to that first crater on the crater-hop image - which looks mainly like a bit of a Fram - but seing as it follows a new record and we're likely to set quite a few over the next few months - I think we should give them names of land speed record holders smile.gif

So - Next stope - Green Crater ( followed by Noble, Gabelich, Breedlove, Arfons....)

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_Sunspot_*
post Jan 27 2005, 12:51 AM
Post #15

Guests

QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 27 2005, 12:27 AM)
There's a new Director Update ( Jeff Favretto - he does cool ones biggrin.gif )

He mentioned that Opportunity was instructed to drive 80 metres today and it is hoped it will do ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY METERS tomorrow

let me say that again

ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY METERS.

If they do it - it's a new mars distance record smile.gif - and it'll put the heatshield as just a few pixels on Navcam and bring us to that first crater on the crater-hop image - which looks mainly like a bit of a Fram - but seing as it follows a new record and we're likely to set quite a few over the next few months - I think we should give them names of land speed record holders smile.gif

So - Next stope - Green Crater ( followed by Noble, Gabelich, Breedlove, Arfons....)

Doug

An excellent idea on crater names. It's just past 1pm at Meridiani - so I presume Opportunity has hit the road by now biggrin.gif

edit: A note of clarifiaction, the 80 metre drive was JUST completed and seen in the most recent navcam images etc? And the 160 is currently underway?

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:54 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.