Extricating Spirit, Digging out from Troy
Guest_cassioli_*
post Oct 24 2010, 12:25 PM
Post #991

Guests

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Oct 23 2010, 03:06 PM) *
Go here:

http://www-mars.lmd.jussieu.fr/mars/time/martian_time.html

Enter today's date, convert to Mars Date and Solar Longitude, and check out the explanation of Solar Longitude in the link at the top of the page.

Phil

Thanks,
I also found this:
http://users.zoominternet.net/~matto/Java/...rsion%202_0.htm

But they give different result: first site says it's month 6 ("scorpius" month, as per table in second site), but second site gives day 10 of "Sagittarius" month , which is 7th. huh.gif

Does this mean june-equivalent?(or july-equivalent)
Shouldn't it be march- or april-equivalent? huh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 24 2010, 12:51 PM
Post #992

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

There are a large number of different Mars calendars, and they divide months up in different ways- roughly equal number of sols, equal angle of solar longitude, etc. So you can't expect to find the same result, in month terms (or even in when the year starts, or which year it is), from different sites.

The site I gave is the only one in anything like common use among Mars researchers, and so it's the one I have used for Mars dates in a forthcoming book. But I ignore months and only refer to the Mars year and sol.

As for the month for Spirit - I think they need to go into early summer to get it going, not just spring.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
fredk
post Oct 28 2010, 03:32 PM
Post #993

Group: Members
Member No.: 152

From here, some dust storm activity over Spirit:
Dust storm activity was observed in Terra Cimmeria on the 18th [of October], southwest of the MER-A (Spirit) rover, appeared to dissipate slightly on the 19th, but then picked up strength again on the 22nd and quickly moved toward the rover, persisting over the rover site on the 23rd and 24th.

This could be good or bad news - cleaning events have been associated with dust storms before.

+Quote Post

67 Pages V  « < 65 66 67
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:01 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.