Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
algorimancer
post Sep 1 2006, 03:14 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 285

QUOTE (Bobby @ Sep 1 2006, 09:38 AM) *

Nice article, good depth (though no mention of Bradley/"Hawking"). It sounds like the official name of Epsilon may be "Emma Dean", plus they have names for the other nearby craters Zeta and Eta, and another small crater nobody's felt the need to refer to. They mention the names: "Emma Dean, Kitty Clyde's Sister, Maid of the Canyon, and Canonita". Would anyone be able to formally tie them to the appropriate craters on the Route Map?

+Quote Post
Jeff7
post Sep 2 2006, 04:04 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 180

"The McMurdo panorama is probably 8 or 9 Imax screens worth of data, a ridiculous amount of data."

Insane. Maybe the Roving Mars movie folks should have waited until the mission was totally completely over, whenever that might be, to finally make it. Unless they plan for a sequel. All this from a crippled rover starved of energy. The designers, builders, operators, and everyone else involved, really did an excellent job. I just have a thing for well-built machinery.

"It's much easier driving," said Squyres. "It's such a thrill not to have to deal with those big, damn ripples anymore -- we're finally done with those."
Big, damn ripples. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Sep 2 2006, 06:48 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 116

A sequel will definitely be in order at some point in the future. These machines are clearly examples of some of the finest devices yet created by our species. Engineers...no matter how much you want to hate them, in the end, you've got to love them. I still cannot believe how beautifully both of the rovers have peformed this long time, under very harsh conditions. My hat is off to the people who worried about the details.

Regarding the crater names, it does appear that Epsilon is Emma Dean, since the yellow line on a previously posted travel map "sideswipes" Epsilon, and that line so far remains pretty close to the route travelled to this point. Beyond that, I have no guesses for the other crater names.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Sep 5 2006, 12:29 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 198

QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Sep 2 2006, 06:48 AM) *
Regarding the crater names, it does appear that Epsilon is Emma Dean, since the yellow line on a previously posted travel map "sideswipes" Epsilon, and that line so far remains pretty close to the route travelled to this point.

Is that Epsilon/Emma Dean they are now "sideswiping" in the latest exploratorium images such as:

http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...23P0685R0M1.JPG

======
Stephen

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Sep 5 2006, 01:11 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 116

Yes, I am sure it must be.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Sep 5 2006, 06:17 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (Stephen @ Sep 4 2006, 07:29 PM) *

You know, this image is another example of a Mars that looks unlike any other place on Mars we've ever seen. The Viking landing sites, the Pathfinder site, even Gusev -- they're all rocky, to one degree or another.

This place -- this is eerily unlike anything else.

Gives you an appreciation, deep in your gut, of how widely varied a planet Mars actually is.

This is the kind of thing that really excites my sense of wonder... smile.gif

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Sep 5 2006, 03:36 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 385

The Meridiani Planum is like a dessert place as to the Earth. That place has so few boulders if we compare to the others places as seen by Vicky I (Chryse Plantia) and Vicky II (Isidis Plantia) and Pathfinder (Vallis Ares). That lead me to think that Meridiani had a very slow water flux or fewer water when comparing to the Vicky and Pathfinder places. These places had left big stones which might mean that place had a strong or much current of water which had eroded the land and left big boulders and stones.

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
Pando
post Sep 5 2006, 04:44 PM
Post #9

The Insider

Member No.: 73

Vicky I (Chryse Plantia) and Vicky II (Isidis Plantia)

I'm sure you mean "Viking"..... tongue.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Sep 6 2006, 03:18 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 198

QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Sep 5 2006, 03:36 PM) *
The Meridiani Planum is like a dessert place as to the Earth. That place has so few boulders if we compare to the others places as seen by Vicky I (Chryse Plantia) and Vicky II (Isidis Plantia) and Pathfinder (Vallis Ares). That lead me to think that Meridiani had a very slow water flux or fewer water when comparing to the Vicky and Pathfinder places. These places had left big stones which might mean that place had a strong or much current of water which had eroded the land and left big boulders and stones.

Actually it reminds me more of what you'd expect to find on one of Earth's abyssal plains were you to drain its oceans dry: a very flat and very featureless landscape broken only by those features of comparatively recent origin (like Victoria Crater), in part because sediments deposited over the eons (when it was still a sea) have covered over the boulders and filled in the gullies, craters, etc which were originally there.

======
Stephen

+Quote Post
Guest_Bobby_*
post Sep 29 2006, 01:44 PM
Post #11

Guests

http://www.planetary.org/news/2006/0929_Ma...ate_Spirit.html

+Quote Post
Burmese
post Sep 29 2006, 04:30 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 365

lo, I wonder if Steve has been monitoring our 'Are we there yet?' discussion:

"[a]t the risk of sounding like President Clinton, it depends on what your definition of 'there' is? By which I mean, at what point do you decide you've arrived at the rim? We're not going drive right to the rim on our very attempt and hang 2 wheels over the edge. We're going to get to a safe standoff distance from which we can see enough of the crater to make good decisions,"

+Quote Post
Guest_Bobby_*
post Feb 1 2007, 09:05 PM
Post #13

Guests

http://www.planetary.org/news/2007/0131_Ma...ate_Spirit.html

+Quote Post
helvick
post Feb 1 2007, 09:25 PM
Post #14

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

Lots of meat in this update but this is a pleasant surprise:
What the rover needs to survive in winter is something between 200 and 250 watt-hours, whereas now we can survive on something less than 200 watt-hours, so even with relatively low power numbers we're able to safely operate the vehicle and get lots done," Squyres explained.

+Quote Post
Guest_Bobby_*
post Mar 1 2007, 06:33 AM
Post #15

Guests

http://www.planetary.org/news/2007/0228_Ma...ate_Spirit.html

+Quote Post

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:57 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.