50 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Distant vistas, Endeavour, Iazu, and beyond
fredk
post Jan 27 2010, 09:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 152

To answer Ustrax's querries from the other thread, I think we can now see more of the south west rim of Endeavour and Iazu. In this image I've lined up the views from 1987 pancam (colour on bottom, from Astro in this post) and 2136 navcam (top, from Ant's navcam mosiac):
Attached Image

The leftmost (Endeavour north rim) and middle (far rim) features look similar. But it looks like we can see more stuff on the right, which is Endeavour south rim and Iazu. The view we had a few sols ago (2133) of Iazu was still partly obscured by dunes, so it makes sense that we can see more now.

I can't see Bopolu in the navcams, though it could be there and buried in the jpeg noise...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Jan 27 2010, 09:46 PM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

OT - but relevant to the above...
The spot Oppy's at now is a slight rise compared to the surrounding region, but over the next 5kms or so there's another 45metres of rise before the drop off towards Endeavour. Much better views to come - we'll get the HOAV yet! Are you listening Stu laugh.gif

But first, there's some fun to be had here at Concepción. smile.gif

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jan 28 2010, 10:42 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 542

QUOTE (Astro0 @ Jan 27 2010, 09:46 PM) *
OT - but relevant to the above...
over the next 5kms or so there's another 45metres of rise before the drop off towards Endeavour

Am I misreading the map??? To me it looks more or less level as we continue south, then gently downhill all the way once the predicted path turns east. Even then the gradient will be almost imperceptible and Endeavour and Iazu will remain long skinny horizon features. Of course it will be great to have them constantly in sight at last, but anyone hoping for a sweeping grandstand perspective will I think have to wait much longer - until arrival at Endeavour.

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Jan 28 2010, 11:44 AM
Post #4

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

Looking to the map again, what I see is that we are currently at level "-1370" and the highest point is at "-1325" before dropping down to "-1430" near Mini-Endurance.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jan 28 2010, 12:44 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jan 28 2010, 11:44 AM) *
Looking to the map again, what I see is that we are currently at level "-1370" and the highest point is at "-1325" before dropping down to "-1430" near Mini-Endurance.

OK - I think that blurry number is 1395, not 1325. I think the contours are at 5m intervals decreasing monotonically along the route. That was my first impression and on taking another careful look I come to the same conclusion. If we still had to climb 45 metres I don't think we'd be seeing distant views now.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jan 28 2010, 01:06 PM
Post #6

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Ngunn, I was just about to say the same thing. The labels are not very clear, but the contours don't make sense any other way.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jan 28 2010, 02:20 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jan 28 2010, 01:06 PM) *
the contours don't make sense any other way.

Thanks Phil. I was beginning to question my sanity. If people have been reading it the other way that would explain a lot of earlier posts concerning the view that didn't make any sense to me.

+Quote Post
Tman
post Jan 28 2010, 03:24 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 186

QUOTE (ustrax @ Jan 28 2010, 01:36 PM) *
OK, thanks Fred, so Bopulu is on Oppy field of view is that correct? Can someone point where to look if the crater was visible?
New pancams are down but no sign of the horizon...or Concepción unsure.gif

Yes, no current pancams in that direction so far, which should roughly be southwestern between 210° to 235° (or -150 to -125 in the PDTInterface) for any signs of Bopulu from the location of Concepción (as measured on your maps).

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jan 28 2010, 03:35 PM
Post #9

I'm also on the lookout for an isolated hill almost directly south (actually the end of a promontory). My impression is it's not yet visible as we have had recent pancams which I think cover that direction.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jan 28 2010, 04:35 PM
Post #10

I've done a cross-section plot of the elevations along our actual route between Eagle and Concepción, and from there to Endeavour, to the end of the proposed route originally posted here. This corrects the blurry number 1325 to 1395. Vertical scale 1 m/px, horizontal scale 24 m/px:
Attached Image

Lots of approximations here: Distances are in as-the-crow-flies segments, rather than odometer distances. The proposed map in the abstract contains an error, as pointed out above. The horizontal resolution of the MRO elevation data probably means we can't take the precise topography too seriously. Curvature of the surface of Mars ignored.

Still, it gives us an idea of when we might get a HOAV. It looks to me like most of the roughly level plain just west of Endeavour won't be visible until roughly halfway between Concepción and mini Endurance. Curvature works against us, but the 1.8 1.55 m height of pancam works for us.

Remember that the vertical scale is exagerated 24 times here! This is still Meridiani, after all. So any "HOAV" we get will likely be dramatic only thanks to the wonder of Phil-o-vision.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jan 28 2010, 04:44 PM
Post #11

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

You're welcome!

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
climber
post Jan 28 2010, 04:53 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 682

"Curvature works against us".
On flat ground, horizon on Earth is at 8 kms (I guess at human eyes). Do you know the figure for Mars?

--------------------

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Jan 28 2010, 05:13 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (fredk @ Jan 28 2010, 11:35 AM) *
I've done a cross-section plot of the elevations...
Where would the elevation of the rim peaks to south of the proposed arrival point at Endeavour fall on that plot?

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jan 28 2010, 05:53 PM
Post #14

At the pancam height of 1.55 m, the horizon on Mars is 3.2 km away. Another way to look at is is that in 5 km (most of the way to mini Endurance), the ground will drop by 3.7 m due to curvature. It drops 15 m after 10 km distance.

It looks like we can't resolve those rim peaks on the contour map. But the fact that we could see them since Victoria means they're higher than our current elevation, probably by a fair bit. (Perhaps any more discussion should go to the other thread...)

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jan 29 2010, 03:48 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (ngunn @ Jan 28 2010, 04:35 PM) *
I'm also on the lookout for an isolated hill almost directly south (actually the end of a promontory).
Me too. Could this be it? This is looking SSW-ish, but I'm not sure if the azimuth is exactly right:
Attached Image

+Quote Post

50 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 02:22 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.