Distant vistas, Endeavour, Iazu, and beyond
Reckless
post Jan 31 2010, 02:33 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 217

Hi all

It seems all I can say when posting here is "brilliant views"
I remember when Columbia Hills was about the same size as Endeavour is now on the horizon and how keen I (we ) were to get there.
Now I've never been so torn between seeing whats at our feet and everything that's up ahead.
Either way everyday from now is going to be brilliant views.

Thanks again to all for the stuff on this website. blink.gif smile.gif
Roy F
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 31 2010, 02:53 PM
Post #32

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

What's kind of cool is that these images of the horizon were taken 16 hrs ago. Seriously - just 16 hrs ago.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jan 31 2010, 03:06 PM
Post #33

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

...and I made my pan at 7am, so they were just 8 hours old then?!?! blink.gif That's fantastic!

(And ESA still hasn't released those 'crescent Mars' images taken by Rosetta years ago. Just saying.)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jan 31 2010, 03:55 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 1345

(at least some cameras ESA flies near Mars have a rapid turnaround: (*cough*) http://webservices.esa.int/blog/post/6/958)

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Jan 31 2010, 04:02 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 16

Here are the horizon features plotted alongside another 'inverse-polar' map from this position.

Attached Image

I've drawn guide lines from the peaks to appropriate positions on the map in yellow and orange lines highlight the visible extent of Izau (I'm still thinking about identification of peaks)

James

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jan 31 2010, 04:25 PM
Post #36

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

The great thing about this is that the view is just going to get better all the time. Apart from the possibility of losing it very briefly behind local drifts in the next one or two km, we'll always have it, and it will get closer and the middle distance will open up more all the time. Exploration at its greatest, as some guy once said.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jan 31 2010, 04:26 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 542

That's excellent, thanks James! Now we can clearly see that the very nearest rim hills (maybe in fact a slumped portion of the original rim?) are still entirely out of sight below the level surface we are looking across. I thought that might be the case from my attempts to decipher the spot heights on the map, but I'm pretty wary of those now. Seeing is believing. smile.gif

EDIT: Why the interest in those invisible hiils? I think that's the location of some curious shoreline-like landforms we discussed a while ago and possibly a future destination.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jan 31 2010, 05:17 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 152

Fantastic views! Thanks everyone for putting together these mosaics. smile.gif

QUOTE (ustrax @ Jan 30 2010, 11:58 PM) *
Looks like a real feature but I am having some hard time figuring out what it may be comparing with satellite imagery...
I've ID'ed Ustrax's dark feature - see the white line I added to James' superb inverse polar. It looks like it's a "head" at the closest point of the plateau around Iazu. Interesting that we're now seeing that that plateau is almost as high as the rim of Iazu.

Also, it's cool that we're really starting to see features on the features now, at least on the Endeavour rim. I've made a very tentative ID of a crater on the far rim of Endeavour (white circles).

As others have said, the view will get better and better. But on top of improved sight lines, as we head into winter the transparency should improve as well, so we should see more features on these features too.

Edit: I guess I was so excited I forgot to add my pic! Here it is:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jan 31 2010, 05:18 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 542

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Jan 31 2010, 04:25 PM) *
The great thing about this is that the view is just going to get better all the time.

From the 'vistas' point of view the proposed route is perfect. The next short trek SW and S should open up the distant horizon in those directions also before we turn E.

+Quote Post
NW71
post Jan 31 2010, 07:33 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 5179

Like many previous posts I am just in awe of both the views we are beginning to experience and the expertise of those UMSF members who take the time and trouble to allow us to see these vistas in such a quick, easy and beautiful manner. A big thank you to you all.

I am trying to keep my excitement down to bearable levels (I have already learnt how tiring the emotional rollercoaster highs and lows associated with these two rovers can be!) so i'll simply ask these two questions;

1 - Are the current power levels on Opportunity any cause for concern re reaching Endeavour? (I just have this nightmare of us running out of juice 5 metres from the rim!)

2 - From the photos above it appears that whilst Endeavour is the larger crater and is our target, i think it would be fair to say it looks as though Lazu has an amazing rim. Would there be anything to be gained from trying to get there as well? (I do appreciate it is a long way away but is there anything to suggest it is significantly different from endeavour?)

Finally, I agree with Teshiner, we are definitely in HOAV area! However, I think that bar might be raised in the upcoming months... cool.gif

Neil

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Jan 31 2010, 08:02 PM
Post #41

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (Reckless @ Jan 31 2010, 09:33 AM) *
I remember when Columbia Hills was about the same size as Endeavour is now on the horizon and how keen I (we ) were to get there....
Opportunity still has a much longer way to go than Spirit did. ohmy.gif

While Spirit has had a much rougher trek, Opportunity has been the long distance runner. Here is an inset showing the distance covered by Spirit from Bonneville crater to the Columbia Hills. I estimated the scale based on 2.5 km from Bonneville to the Hills compared with a little over 4.5 km from Victoria to Concepcion.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Jan 31 2010, 08:06 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (NW71 @ Jan 31 2010, 02:33 PM) *
1 - Are the current power levels on Opportunity any cause for concern re reaching Endeavour?

2 - ...Lazu has an amazing rim. Would there be anything to be gained from trying to get there as well?

1. Power should be no problem, barring another killer dust storm. The biggest problem in my opinion would be mechanical or electrical failures because of age. (Hopefully the rover is now too smart to get stuck in the sand.)

2. Ask again in two years. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jan 31 2010, 08:18 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 152

Neil, Squyres was asked about Oppy's power levels at the recent briefing and he said they weren't a concern.

Here's a comparison between the view at sol 1987 (from Astro's mosaic) with the 2140 view (from James' mosaic). Both at 3x vertical stretch. Stunning improvement indeed for Endeavour west rim/Iazu. And significant perspective change - note white line connecting the west rim peaks. Changes within Iazu as well due to near/far rim perspective change, as I remarked earlier when I posted my long baseline anaglyph.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Reckless
post Jan 31 2010, 08:26 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 217

Hi Centsworth_II

I did realize that Oppy is further from Endeavour than Spirit was at Bonneville and thank you for the comparison map all maps are always welcome especially maps with helpful inserts.
smile.gif
Roy F

+Quote Post
MoreInput
post Jan 31 2010, 09:03 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 5156

Cool. Spirit needed only 68 Sols from Bonneville to the Hills (Sol 86 to 154). I estimate the route to endeavour from conception as 4,5 times the route from Bonneville to the Hills (11.25 km? a little short I think) , that means we only need 306 sols to get there :-) But that's of course a minimum guess, maybe we see some interesting stuff on the road ...

--------------------
Need more input ...

+Quote Post

50 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:26 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.