Sym05
post Aug 30 2011, 02:36 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 134

Simply fantastic.
Thank you!

QUOTE (Nirgal @ Aug 27 2011, 05:21 PM) *
Click here for a (still experimental) excerpt as anaglyph (view in HD if possible)

Did you considered the possibility to use the native Youtube 3D features allowing viewers to choose their preferred option (Red/Cyan, Green/Magenta, Side by side, etc.)?

The videos displayed on a 42" HD TV are amazing .... 3D with active glasses should be better tongue.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post Aug 30 2011, 11:17 PM
Post #32

Guests

QUOTE (Nirgal @ Aug 29 2011, 10:39 PM) *
Another problem is video compression: After uploading to youtube, I found that the encoding/compression caused further contrast and gamma correction to the point that many subtle details in shadowed areas got lost.

Oh yes, I know about that! Youtube absolutely ruins your uploads, especially in high-res. I suggest you maybe look into vimeo...

+Quote Post
hendric
post Aug 31 2011, 02:23 PM
Post #33

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

Nirgal, you win the UMSF internets. Now just get Scooterlord's MER model into that, and hook up with StephenV2 to get an IMAX movie finished! smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
DFinfrock
post Sep 1 2011, 01:15 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 503

QUOTE (hendric @ Aug 31 2011, 03:23 PM) *
Nirgal, you win the UMSF internets. Now just get Scooterlord's MER model into that, and hook up with StephenV2 to get an IMAX movie finished! smile.gif smile.gif

Now that's an All-Star cast! And perhaps Stu and Astro0 could produce the movie's promotional poemster! smile.gif

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 1 2011, 04:53 AM
Post #35

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (hendric @ Aug 31 2011, 07:23 AM) *
hook up with StephenV2 to get an IMAX movie finished! smile.gif smile.gif

StephenV2 is militantly opposed to using CGI in his IMAX movie. Thus, despite the beauty, accuracy, splendor and grandeur of Nirgal's amazing work.....StephenV2 would not, by his own rules be able to use it.

+Quote Post
Nirgal
post Sep 1 2011, 08:50 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 223

yes, making animations to be shown, e.g. in Planetariums is something I do consider as a future option.
However, as I already wrote, this is still a work in progress and I have to make the homeworks first.
Among other things there is one important issue that needs to be resolved before I can consider this finished: namely the support of color.
Although black&white landscapes do have their own aesthetics (think Ansel Adams ;-) color (like music) is absolutely essential to transporting emotions in a film.
(What would the Red Planet be without Red ? wink.gif

So, although I am very satisfied with this first prototype video as a "proof of concept", there is still a lot of research and programming work to be done until the project
could be considered anything near "production ready".
Until then, I'm afraid I can't take any requests because I fully need to concentrate on the research & programming.
Hardware needs to be upgraded too (12 cores + 48 Gig RAM is a minimum configuration for rendering those multi-gigapixel DEMs in serious production quality)

If all goes well I think the first color versions could be ready sometime mid next year.
In any case, I will keep you updated here at UMSF smile.gif

+Quote Post
hendric
post Sep 1 2011, 03:12 PM
Post #37

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

I understand that's his view point on the current Saturn movie, but I think for Mars there is just too much data outside of pure pictures such as DEMs that to not include them would be a big loss to any IMAX treatment.

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
AdamH
post Oct 4 2011, 08:50 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 5892

Just wanted to add my kudos. Absolutely stunning work, Nirgal.

--------------------
Software developer for NASA NPP. And I make things to amuse myself: Gale Crater mini-game

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:32 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.