IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
(Paper) Evidence of a Jovian Mass Solar Companion in the Oort Cloud?
Paolo
post Apr 27 2010, 05:07 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1004

[Posts moved from "INCOMING" discussion.]

... a new confirmation of the "Nemesis" theory Persistent Evidence of a Jovian Mass Solar Companion in the Oort Cloud
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Apr 27 2010, 07:45 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 542

Much appreciated, thanks. Best of all the full article is available free.

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Apr 27 2010, 10:35 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 4270

I think calling it a "confirmation" is giving it a bit too much credit, but it is interesting nonetheless.
As they state, WISE will shed much more light on the issue.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 27 2010, 12:02 PM
Post #4

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

This certainly can't be called a confirmation, as Hungry4info already said. Let's see how the paper is received. I'd love to see such an object discovered (though I don't see how it could have been missed in the past) - what a target for a New Horizons-type mission! But I'm not very hopeful.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Apr 27 2010, 04:07 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 590

Some interesting points (this thing is over 40 pages long!)

1) They reject the "Nemesis" concept, saying the object couldn't cause "comet storms."
2) They want to name it "Tyche" for the good sister of Nemesis.
3) They're talking 1-4 MJ at 10,000 to 30,000 AU; to put that in perspective, note that even a probe like NH would take thousands of years get there.
4) It's inclined 133 degrees to the ecliptic, but they think the orbit's circular.
5) Depending on assumptions, they give as much as a 50% chance that this is an illusion caused by randomness in the observations.

Within year, WISE will know. Gives us something to anticipate though.

--Greg

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Apr 27 2010, 04:57 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1004

QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Apr 27 2010, 12:35 PM) *
I think calling it a "confirmation" is giving it a bit too much credit

you are right. I should have used another word, but my capability of thinking in English at 7 AM is not very good...

+Quote Post
stewjack
post Apr 27 2010, 05:09 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 379

QUOTE (Greg Hullender @ Apr 27 2010, 11:07 AM) *
Some interesting points (this thing is over 40 pages long!)
--Greg

Not to mention that it has Math in it. Math! I might, just might, read 40 pages of words and pictures. But Math - no way! wacko.gif
Thanks Greg

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Apr 27 2010, 06:07 PM
Post #8

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

Yeah, why in the world would they use math in trying to determine whether the effects of a massive object in the Kuiper Belt are present? rolleyes.gif Next thing you know they will start using it in computing spacecraft trajectories.

--------------------

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Apr 27 2010, 08:51 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Apr 27 2010, 02:07 PM) *
Yeah, why in the world would they use math in trying to determine whether the effects of a massive object in the Kuiper Belt are present? rolleyes.gif

Because strong in them the force is not.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Apr 27 2010, 10:46 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 542

Whether this object exists or not there is plenty of room for them in the unsearched parameter space. I'm surprised Phil thinks anything out there would have been discovered already. How, I wonder?

Agreed, 50 percent is not a great probability. Most researchers wait for 95 percent before publishing.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Apr 27 2010, 10:47 PM
Post #11

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

The merits of math aside, statistical inference is always to be taken with a grain of salt on its own. To paraphrase a quote I once heard, 'You can prove anything with a logarithmic chart!' tongue.gif

I see this paper as a bit of a roll of the dice by the authors. WISE might conceivably spot such an object; if it does, then they might go down in history as the 21st Century equivalents of Leverrier & Adams.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
alan
post Apr 28 2010, 12:49 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 110

This paper reminds me of an article I read in Sky and Telescope ~20 years ago which also speculated that a group of comets with aphelia on a narrow band of galactic longitude were due to distant solar companion. I'll have to see if I can locate a copy.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 28 2010, 01:15 AM
Post #13

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I was assuming that IR surveys - going right back to IRAS - would have picked up anything this size.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
nprev
post Apr 28 2010, 02:37 AM
Post #14

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

They do mention IRAS, and sort of artfully adjust their constraints to account for the fact that it was not in fact previously discovered.

Well, the best part of this hypothesis is that it can be tested fairly rigorously. A lot of us here have been half-expecting WISE to discover at least one massive body closer than Proxima as discussed in other threads, and "half-expecting" is precisely the numerical probability assigned by the authors to this putative distant Jovian! smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Vultur
post Apr 28 2010, 08:29 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 4334

I hope this works out, and that WISE finds the object .. but can it? I remember reading that WISE couldn't find an Earth-size body at Kuiper belt (or was it Oort cloud?) temperatures. At that distance from the Sun, it'll be *really* cold ... but at Jupiter-mass plus, it should produce a significant amount of internal heat.

'Tyche' is a clever name.

QUOTE (Greg Hullender @ Apr 27 2010, 05:07 PM) *
3) They're talking 1-4 MJ at 10,000 to 30,000 AU; to put that in perspective, note that even a probe like NH would take thousands of years get there.

Yeah, if it exists, it'll take a new generation of propulsion technologies to get there in anything resembling a reasonable time. Presuming 20,000 AU, to get there in twenty years would require an average speed of 4740 km/s.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:57 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.