Mars 3 (Various Topics Merged)
alex_k
post Oct 21 2014, 05:26 AM
Post #211

Group: Validating
Member No.: 7282

2. Fragments 2+4, rotated 180 deg.
[attachment=34048:test.png] [attachment=34049:layer2.png]

3. Fragments 6+7+8, rotated 180 deg (just stretched result)
The second source http://fotki.yandex.ru/next/users/roborebe...274/view/959480 was used.
[attachment=34050:layer3.png]
The third layer is very extremal indeed, but it contains image. More quality sources are needed to refine this layer - the quiality of first two is enought.

(limitation on attachments, continuing...)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
alex_k
post Oct 21 2014, 05:34 AM
Post #212

Without noised 3rd layer we get also appropriate composition.
[attachment=34051:m416_2.png]

QUOTE (4th rock from the sun @ Oct 20 2014, 09:46 PM) *
But both images are hard to reconcile indeed.
Here's what the same processing brings out on the teleprinter image:
[attachment=34042:teleprinter2.png]

I suppose that it was build using wrong assumptions but very strong noise reduction, that's why it's so hard to reconcile it. I think it was made of fragments 2+4 but they were combined in wrong order.

+Quote Post
4th rock from th...
post Oct 21 2014, 02:29 PM
Post #213

Group: Members
Member No.: 347

Alex, can't really disagree (and I don't read russian, so my understanding of the sources is limited), but I think your results have too many "ifs".
If there are several fragments, if the fragments show the same data, if one of the fragments is inverted, etc, etc.

So let's stay on the things we know.

We know that the image starts with the autogain system gradually increases the gain up to a "standard" level.
Therefore any fragments that don't show that have no image data.

You have a point with the image not being a negative, since it's possible that the initial level was too high and the autogain has reduced the level and it's also possible that the "3" area is the mirror flyback. It's reasonable to consider that values during the flyback would be zero (but who know if they didn't insert a white signal for calibration + alignment? )

So as an alternative solution we get something like this:
Attached Image

The area "3" does seem like the end/start of each line, I've place it at top here just to be clear.

But beyond the negative/positive possibilities I don't think we should speculate much.

--------------------

+Quote Post
alex_k
post Oct 21 2014, 03:42 PM
Post #214

QUOTE (4th rock from the sun @ Oct 21 2014, 07:29 PM) *
Alex, can't really disagree (and I don't read russian, so my understanding of the sources is limited), but I think your results have too many "ifs".
If there are several fragments, if the fragments show the same data, if one of the fragments is inverted, etc, etc.

It's true, there're many "ifs". But the accordance of the fragments I can try to prove.

We know that the image starts with the autogain system gradually increases the gain up to a "standard" level.
Therefore any fragments that don't show that have no image data.

We know only that it's Selivanov's explaination. Can you show me the effect of "gradually increase" on a panorama of Luna-9 or Luna-13?

The area "3" does seem like the end/start of each line,

You're right. So the areas "4" and "2" should be combined, but not by just omitting the area "2", but by swapping them ("end" and "start" should end and start the entire line). I suppose that the same error was made in the processing of the picture "from a teleprinter". If we remount it we'll get a kind of compliance with my image.

+Quote Post
4th rock from th...
post Oct 21 2014, 04:51 PM
Post #215

Group: Members
Member No.: 347

"We know only that it's Selivanov's explaination. Can you show me the effect of "gradually increase" on a panorama of Luna-9 or Luna-13?"

I can't. But I haven't seen the raw data* from the Lunas, only the final panoramas wink.gif

How do you explain it if it's not the autogain system?
- Mirror flyback?
- Grayscale calibration at the start of each line?
- Autogain of the orbiter's receiver ?

For the sake of discussion, let me present a modern HF-Fax analog image:
Attached Image

This is what an analog image transmission looks like.
Its single side band AM with the image data encoded as image tones varying from black at 1500 Hz and peak white at 2300 Hz.
Some black/white or grayscale calibration elements are usually present .

We know from Luna 9 that the Soviet system was similar. Don't know if some raw data exists for that, but perhaps it might help to clarify things.

* This information from Jodrell Bank about Luna 9 is helpful:
" The international facsimile standard is that the White/black transition corresponds to a a change in audio frequency between 1.5 to 2.3 kHz, while the Luna 9 transmissions used a change from 1.2 to 2.0 kHz. The difference in horizontal/vertical ratio was sometimes given as a factor 2 and sometimes as a factor 2.5 . The picture signals were transmitted on a subcarrier with maximum deviation of 2 kHz. The synchronization signal for the pictures (start of each line?) was a tone with the frequency 1.1 kHz (24). The lunar panoramas consisted of vertical lines with 500 elements (each 3.6 minutes of arc wide) and the 360 degree view around the horizon consisted of 6000 such lines"
(from http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/history/tracking/part2.html)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Oct 21 2014, 08:23 PM
Post #216

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

It would be interesting to reprocess this using modern computers and software by using the original data with full information on how the camera worked and how to reconstruct the signal. When data from other landers is processed it quickly becomes absolutely clear what you are looking at - you clearly see rocks etc. and in some cases parts of the landers. This is true for e.g. the Veneras, Huygens and various Mars and Lunar landers.

The problem with the images above is that even though advanced image processing methods have been used it is impossible to tell from the resulting images what you are really looking at and therefore impossible to tell whether the data you are processing is correctly reconstructed - there are too many "ifs" as 4th rock pointed out (inversion or no inversion, possible gain changes etc.). As I previously said, it would be interesting if the original data could somehow be recovered and all of the "ifs" eliminated with 100% certainty. If that is possible the result should be either an image that shows something recognizable (surface features like rocks and/or parts of the lander) or something looking like noise.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 22 2014, 12:29 AM
Post #217

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Bjorn's points are valid, particularly the fact that the original data is not being used as the source for these permutations. Therefore, innumerable copying errors from various sources (format changes, transcription, etc.) have completely subsumed whatever signal there ever was--and there is considerable doubt that there ever was any in the first place--into noise.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
alex_k
post Jan 3 2015, 04:24 PM
Post #218

Attached Image

Here is an attempt to get 12x superresolution of Mars 3 landing site. For processing four HiRise images were used: ESP_031036_1345, PSP_061154_1345, ESP_032447_1345 and ESP_032737_1345. Details are very exaggerated. A Fourier-based algorithm was used, and the result was postprocessed by GIMP.

ADMIN NOTE: Take a look at VikingMars' work on this from 2013. Plus the HiRise image.

+Quote Post
alex_k
post Jan 4 2015, 07:45 AM
Post #219

[del]

ADMIN NOTE: Attempting to get an image and interpreting such from the Mars3 data was discussed at length in another topic (now merged with this one).
It is worth reading back through this entire topic to see what was discussed and how now we are just repeating ourselves. This is just adding 'noise'.
While conclusions varied from 'just noise' to 'possible image', the jury is sufficiently out until more complete/original data records can be sourced.
Therefore, it is recommended by the Admin/Mod team that no further image processing efforts be posted here from this point onwards.
If new, original source/raw data can be found and verified, then please bring it to the attention of the Forum or direct to specific members who are interested.

+Quote Post
alex_k
post Dec 2 2016, 11:17 AM
Post #220

[del]

+Quote Post
alex_k
post Yesterday, 05:09 AM
Post #221

A recent article about processing Mars 3 signals (in Russian).

Analysis and Processing of Signals Received from the Lander of the Mars-3 Space Probe

Yu.M. Gektin, Cand. Sci. (Engineering), contact @spacecorp.ru
Joint Stock Company “Russian Space Systems”, Moscow, Russian Federation
A.V. Kostachuk, Cand. Sci. (Engineering), contact@spacecorp.ru
Joint Stock Company “Russian Space Systems”, Moscow, Russian Federation

Abstract. The paper analyses signals from telephotometers installed on the lander of the Mars-3 space probe, which landed on the surface of Mars for the first time in the world in 1971. The duration of operation of the spacecraft transmitters is estimated, the imaging modes are analyzed, and the level of illumination at the landing site is determined. The geometrical characteristics of the images are substantiated based on the analysis of the received signals. A specialized algorithm is used to reconstruct fragments of panoramas transmitted by the lander and to carry out an overview analysis of these images. The historical value and significance of the results obtained are emphasized.
Keywords: Mars-3, signal analysis, image reconstruction

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 13 14 15
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:55 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.