Reply to this topicStart new topic
Pathfinder Sol 80
tedstryk
post Feb 12 2005, 05:37 PM
Post #1

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

This is a little pan I put together from the last "end-of-day" image Pathfinder returned of Sojourner on Sol 80. Sol 81 would be the last day for which Sojourner would return images. Sol 76 saw the last data return form the forward looking cameras. The color data was stolen from other sols. Sol 83 would be the last day any data would be returned, and Sol 92 would be the last day any contact would be made. The remaining images on Sols 81-83 were of the windsocks.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Feb 12 2005, 05:47 PM
Post #2

Here is a mosaic of the last views from Sojourner, from the rear hazcam, sol 81.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
RichforMars
post Jun 22 2014, 11:13 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 6965

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Feb 12 2005, 06:37 PM) *
This is a little pan I put together from the last "end-of-day" image Pathfinder returned of Sojourner on Sol 80. Sol 81 would be the last day for which Sojourner would return images. Sol 76 saw the last data return form the forward looking cameras. The color data was stolen from other sols. Sol 83 would be the last day any data would be returned, and Sol 92 would be the last day any contact would be made. The remaining images on Sols 81-83 were of the windsocks.

Nice image. smile.gif

+Quote Post
mcgyver
post Oct 22 2014, 09:59 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 7227

I found an interesting, but quite impossible, project on course:
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057032501

Image: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment....mp;d=1413833939

I downloaded the sketchup model, but it's actually so irregular and with so many holes that it looks quite impossible to fix it...
Is anybody aware of any other 3d model existing of Pathfinder landing site? Or any other Mars landing site?
It would be really amazing to have printed copies of various Mars landing sites on my shelf! :-)

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 22 2014, 04:45 PM
Post #5

Administrator

Member No.: 454

Since those 3D models are made from views from the lander itself, they'll always have unfillable holes where rocks were hiding features behind them. (Except maybe for Phoenix, which was insanely flat; I imagine the same thing will be true of InSight.) So the only way to make nice 3D printable views is to artistically fill in those gaps. I've never done any 3D printing or modeling work so I have no idea how hard that would be to do!

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Oct 22 2014, 06:29 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Oct 22 2014, 04:45 PM) *
Since those 3D models are made from views from the lander itself, they'll always have unfillable holes where rocks were hiding features behind them. (Except maybe for Phoenix, which was insanely flat; I imagine the same thing will be true of InSight.) So the only way to make nice 3D printable views is to artistically fill in those gaps. I've never done any 3D printing or modeling work so I have no idea how hard that would be to do!

Sojourner imaged a lot of those areas. Even the other side of Yogi.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 22 2014, 07:14 PM
Post #7

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

This is data I've looked at myself - ( from here - http://pds-geosciences.wustl.edu/mpf/mpfl-...im_2xxx/extras/ ) - and making a nice coherent mesh without holes is a huge HUGE creative task.

It'll be a brave person to take it on

+Quote Post
sittingduck
post Oct 23 2014, 05:47 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 6784

If anybody needs it, some time ago I created a model of the lander and rover which has a higher level of detail. Send me a PM if interested and I will clean and texture the model.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
jgoldader
post Oct 24 2014, 06:23 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 3662

QUOTE (sittingduck @ Oct 23 2014, 12:47 AM) *
If anybody needs it, some time ago I created a model of the lander and rover which has a higher level of detail. Send me a PM if interested and I will clean and texture the model.

Very nice! Have you ever tried to print it?

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 24 2014, 07:23 PM
Post #10

Founder

I'd certainly like to have a look at the model, Sittingduck ( specifically with a view to 3d printing )

+Quote Post
sittingduck
post Oct 25 2014, 06:50 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 6784

djellison and jgoldader, the model is definitely not ready for print as it stands.

I have a period of examinations which will end Nov 7, after which I can prepare the model for printing. I can also immediately supply a version as-is if you want to take a shot at preparing it yourself (dropbox link attached).

+Quote Post
mcgyver
post Oct 30 2014, 11:15 AM
Post #12

Ŧhere's plenty of 3d models of lander and rover around now, but none of them looks printable... even the ones defined "printable" on thingiverse!
I started working on printable MER months ago but then I abandoned the project, too long time required...Eventually having one really 3d printable model available would really cool.
I worked on rocker boogie suspensions: I successfully printed a very tiny model 5 cm wide on Shapeways, but it is fixed; I'd like to make a really working mechanism, it would be really cool!

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Dec 14 2014, 04:22 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 1241

I have been working on super resolution for a few years now, especially from the worst case... a single image

Here is the Mars Path Finder from HiRise as a GIF
The original is 3x
The super resolution is 3x

I re-oriented the image with the west as the top, sunlight is from the top, (to reduce eye/mind confusion)
The big rock 'Yogi' is to the right of the lander in this configuration.

I think you can see the shadow of the hi-gain antenna and the camera mast in the middle of the super structure of the lander (big white area) as well as the two ramps and an air bag sticking out of the lander in the top right

Attached Image

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
mcgyver
post Dec 15 2014, 09:37 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (PDP8E @ Dec 14 2014, 05:22 AM) *
I think you can see the shadow of the hi-gain antenna and the camera mast in the middle of the super structure of the lander (big white area) as well as the two ramps and an air bag sticking out of the lander in the top right

Amazing work!

For comparison:

Hires overhead image with 3d model overimposed:
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/jpeg/PIA02652.jpg
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 15 2014, 10:24 PM
Post #15

Founder

What I find odd in this is that you can not really see any evidence of the +x and -x petals and airbags. ( The rover was deployed from the +y petal, the ASI boom deployed on the +X petal. If you can't see the ASI boom or rover ramps - you're looking at the -X petal.)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:46 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.