IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Viking '75 Mars Lander Construction, Looking for Viking lander design/construction information
PaulH51
post Jun 27 2017, 09:45 AM
Post #46

Group: Members
Member No.: 6853

QUOTE (Tom Dahl @ Jun 27 2017, 08:01 AM) *
...boom extend-retract drive mechanism...

Wonderful stuff.... Thanks for sharing this with us here... Thinking out loud, I wonder if we'll ever see any of the Mars rovers in this or similar format smile.gif Probably not in my lifetime...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
monty python
post Jun 28 2017, 05:31 AM
Post #47

Member No.: 692

Thanks. Always wondered how that worked.

+Quote Post
Tom Dahl
post Aug 4 2017, 04:14 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 6392

The Viking lander's Surface Sampler Acquisition Assembly (SSAA) is complete, for now at least. The SketchUp model file is available at the 3D Warehouse. The final set of components to be finished included the boom supports and guides:
Attached Image
Attached Image

Here is the overall lander (still missing most external components) with the SSAA and its Collector Head in place (the second view shows the collector head fully retracted):
Attached Image
Attached Image

This view shows the surface sampler with its Collector Head Shroud Unit (CHSU) attached and configured for launch, cruise to Mars, and landing wherein the SSAA is pivoted down to engage the triangular restraint post. The CHSU sealed the ultra-clean and sterilized collector head:

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Tom Dahl
post Jan 14 2018, 12:37 AM
Post #49

I've completed a detailed (nearly 18 minutes long) video animation that demonstrates operation of the Viking lander's Surface Sampler Acquisition Assembly. The video features the 3D digital model of the lander that I've been working on for the past few years (and which has a few more years to go until completion), described in earlier replies.

My thanks to the following organizations who have allowed me to research their Viking artifacts:
The Viking Mars Missions Education and Preservation Project
The Museum of Flight
California Science Center
Virginia Air and Space Center
NASA Langley Research Center
Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Jan 14 2018, 08:37 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (Tom Dahl @ Jan 14 2018, 01:37 AM) *
I've completed a detailed (nearly 18 minutes long) video animation that demonstrates operation of the Viking lander's Surface Sampler Acquisition Assembly. The video features the 3D digital model of the lander that I've been working on for the past few years (and which has a few more years to go until completion), described in earlier replies.

My thanks to the following organizations who have allowed me to research their Viking artifacts:
The Viking Mars Missions Education and Preservation Project
The Museum of Flight
California Science Center
Virginia Air and Space Center
NASA Langley Research Center
Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum

WOW ! Thanks so much Tom for this astounding video: lots of congratulations to you wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif
I feel being back at JPL and I'm remembering a lot of events ! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
Attached Image

+Quote Post
monty python
post Jan 14 2018, 09:14 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 692

Tom, that is fantastic! I am old enough to remember those missions, and have always wondered how those arms worked.

Thank you for being such a Viking fan and for your hard work.

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Jan 14 2018, 03:24 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 1102

Tom, thank you for a fantastic movie. It is visually striking and extremely informative. The details of how the ten foot arm roles up are ingenious. I would think this movie would be particularly valuable for engineering courses to show how design translates into function---with details from two of the most iconic space craft ever. The description, narration and music all incredibly well done.

--------------------

+Quote Post
john_s
post Jan 26 2018, 09:23 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 117

Beautiful engineering, beautifully rendered and presented. Congratulations!

John

+Quote Post
PFK
post Jan 27 2018, 11:44 AM
Post #54

Member No.: 4121

As a humble chemist (albeit one who vividly remembers reports of the mission at the time and the pictures splashed across newspaper front pages) I have to say I'm blown away by this. Brilliantly informative and impressive stuff!

+Quote Post
Tom Dahl
post Jan 9 2019, 12:51 AM
Post #55

The next chapter in the effort to create a high-fidelity Viking '75 Mars lander 3D digital model is complete - the S-Band High Gain Antenna (HGA) and its deployment mechanism (the preceding links lead to the SketchUp 3D Warehouse where the model files are freely available). Here are images comparing the model to actual antenna units:
Attached Image
Attached Image

Here are exploded and cut-away views of the antenna:
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

And an overall view of the work-in-progress lander model with antenna in place (most of the lander's external components are yet to be modeled):
Attached Image

All externally-visible piece-parts of the HGA and deployment mechanism (along with a selection of internal parts for which I've found some documentation) are modeled in detail - nearly 300 in all. A Google Photos album contains renderings of the model as progress has been made over the past few years (newer at the bottom).

Sincere thanks to the Viking Mars Missions Education and Preservation Project, who allowed me many hours of access in 2015 and 2017 to HGA serial number 21 in their collection. I was able to capture hundreds of detail measurements with precision calipers along with hundreds of close-up photographs to guide the model during two trips from my home in Massachusetts USA to the VMMEPP in the Pacific Northwest.

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Jan 9 2019, 01:31 AM
Post #56

Member No.: 6853

QUOTE (Tom Dahl @ Jan 9 2019, 08:51 AM) *
The next chapter in the effort to create a high-fidelity Viking '75 Mars lander 3D digital model is complete....

I'm going to need more time to look at these in great detail.... wonderful stuff... Thank you Tom.

+Quote Post
sittingduck
post Jan 9 2019, 03:41 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 6784

Tom, what you're doing is not only historical preservation, but a work of art.

I wish you the best of luck in continuing the effort.

+Quote Post
Tom Dahl
post Oct 3 2019, 02:12 AM
Post #58

I've completed the remaining two communications antennas of the Viking '75 Mars lander: the S-band Low Gain Antenna (LGA) and the UHF antenna. The LGA was small a receive-only antenna used to pick up commands sent from Earth. Here are rendering of the LGA (SketchUp 3D Warehouse link):
Attached Image
Attached Image

The UHF antenna was used to relay information from the lander through either of the two Viking orbiters and onward to Earth (which could be done either in real-time or deferred via the orbiter's tape recorder). Here are renderings of the UHF antenna (SketchUp 3D Warehouse Link):
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Oct 3 2019, 09:56 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 184

Nice to see these antennas again. I especially recall the LGA from the downlinked images. Thanks Tom!

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Apr 2 2020, 07:46 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 497

Over on nasawatch it's being claimed that the NASA worm logo appeared on the Viking lander, but I couldn't find any evidence of this. Bicentennial logo, yes, Viking patch logo, yes, American flag, yes, but no obvious worm. Maybe there's a small one on the patch? I couldn't find any high-res images of the patch as it appeared on the lander. Anyone know?

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:21 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.