Reply to this topicStart new topic
MESSENGER News Thread, news, updates and discussion
hendric
post Aug 28 2005, 08:59 PM
Post #46

Director of Galilean Photography

Group: Members
Member No.: 93

Hmmm...I wonder if they have done any ridiculously high resolution IMAX movies using full resolution shots of these rotations...

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 28 2005, 10:17 PM
Post #47

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

If and when the Messenger data is on the PDS - I'll work it into a WMVHD movie if appropriate. I've been playing with MER imagery at 720p25 format, and it looks fab smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Aug 29 2005, 01:42 AM
Post #48

Member No.: 198

The MESSENGER team has posted a quite amazing "movie" composed of 358 images they took during their craft's recent flyby showing the spinning Earth during one complete rotation disappearing into the void.

======
Stephen

+Quote Post
MizarKey
post Aug 31 2005, 10:00 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 45

That movie is one of the most spectacular things I've ever witness...I love the sun's reflection off the ocean and land masses.

To loosely quote "Pale Blue Dot"..."Everyone who has ever lived or died, been written about...was right there" One fragile planet spinning in dark emptiness.

Eric P / MizarKey

--------------------
Eric P / MizarKey

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Aug 31 2005, 10:02 PM
Post #50

Guests

It is; it's a lovely piece of work.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Sep 1 2005, 07:10 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 15

That little movie captures the reality of what science fiction films have been speculatively presenting for more than a half a century.

Seeing the real thing at last, in such high definition realism, is immensely moving for me.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 1 2005, 07:24 AM
Post #52

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Correct me if I'm wrong - but Messenger's imager is a 1024 x 1024 instrument isnt it? - I wonder/hope if they captured that data at full res, or downsampled it to 512 x 512. If they DID do it full res, I promise - hand on heart - to make a full resolution version when the data is released.

Doug

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Sep 11 2005, 12:36 PM
Post #53

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

I was looking at the chart below. I noticed that beginning in October of next year, this mission should start getting interesting. Given the quality of the earth imagery, I am really excited about what we might see. I also wonder what if any science will be done at Venus.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Sep 11 2005, 02:27 PM
Post #54

Guests

Quite a bit -- they even intend to use the laser altimeter to measure Venusian cloud top altitudes.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Sep 11 2005, 05:43 PM
Post #55

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (BruceMoomaw @ Sep 11 2005, 02:27 PM)
Quite a bit -- they even intend to use the laser altimeter to measure Venusian cloud top altitudes.

Thanks Bruce. My anticipation is building. Do you have any other information about Venus plans? I haven't seen much on how the Messenger instrument suit would be used.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Sep 11 2005, 10:59 PM
Post #56

Guests

Several years ago, Sean Solomon told me a fair amount about it -- but I'm not sure whether that's among the hundreds of stored E-mails that I later lost in an Outlook Express breakdown. I'll check when I get the chance. Suffice it to say that they plan to use virtually every Messenger instrument that CAN be used at Venus.

+Quote Post
um3k
post Sep 12 2005, 02:37 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 372

QUOTE (BruceMoomaw @ Sep 11 2005, 06:59 PM)
Suffice it to say that they plan to use virtually every Messenger instrument that CAN be used at Venus.

Does that mean that we'll finally get some true (enough) color images of Venus? (really excited emoticon goes here!)

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Sep 12 2005, 06:21 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 321

QUOTE (um3k @ Sep 12 2005, 07:37 AM)
Does that mean that we'll finally get some true (enough) color images of Venus? (really excited emoticon goes here!)

It's easy to get a true color picture of Venus -- take it from Earth! Getting that with excellent resolution and the fuller phases is another matter, but the true color of Venus isn't exactly an outstanding mystery. Note that the ability to align color channels in digital processing helps enormously with the chromatic edge effects that haunted film photography.

http://www.celestron-nexstar.de/referenzen..._gudensberg.jpg

http://users3.ev1.net/~glennlray/Astro/Venus-20010203c.jpg

http://dvaa.org/Photos/TomBash/VenusPhasesC11.jpg

http://www.kk-system.co.jp/Alpo/kk04/v040511a.jpg

+Quote Post
um3k
post Sep 12 2005, 06:51 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 372

I know you can get them from Earth, I meant pictures taken by a spacecraft. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Sep 13 2005, 03:16 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 321

QUOTE (um3k @ Sep 12 2005, 11:51 AM)
I know you can get them from Earth, I meant pictures taken by a spacecraft. tongue.gif

You can cover a box in foil and put a radio dish on it, place an amateur astronomer and a Celestron inside, and call it a spacecraft flying within 0.25 AU of Venus.

+Quote Post

36 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:50 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.