19 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
TEGA - Round 2
Paul Fjeld
post Jul 27 2008, 02:25 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 4177

I know silver linings are little annoying, but I find this situation kind of exciting. The TEGA is having problems because Mars is NOT "nominal." That's the point. When the design of the scoop (its width) and the TEGA doors were being "fought over" I wonder where the possibilty of "wet" sticky clods was on the "threat matrix." Way the hell off in 3 sigma territory I bet!

So Peter and the whole team land exactly like they expected in a place that was better than they could have expected and the adventure seemed like a tic tac toe: there're the polygons - they're even cute; there's the ice - we land on a skating rink; there's the pH - keep the life-question-ball rolling; there's the ice sample... wait a second - that's not like the Arctic!

Keep fighting Phoenix team - you're having an adventure along with your heart attacks!

Paul
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jul 27 2008, 03:08 PM
Post #62

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

QUOTE (Deimos @ Jul 26 2008, 07:34 PM) *
You left out :

step 2.5) repeat the above 3 times
step 4) ???
step 5) profit!
unsure.gif

biggrin.gif Okay, that was hilarious.

Since this was a somewhat obscure cultural reference, I think I'll have to point some of you readers to the Underpants Gnomes Business Plan...Wikipedia, what would we do without you?

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jul 27 2008, 03:46 PM
Post #63

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

recent space.com article on Phoenix's delivery attempt with a very misleading headline:

"Mars-lander glitch prevents dirt-baking efforts"

As far as I understand, the machinery is working nicely (="nominally"), it's just that Martian soil is not cooperating.

Perhaps a more accurate headline would be:
"Mars stuff is hard"

[/rant]

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Jul 27 2008, 04:16 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 15

With apologies to all...

"Comedy is easy. Mars is hard."

smile.gif

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Jul 27 2008, 05:17 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 1241

Attached Image

A young nasa test pilot and an eager JPL engineer working on the scoop fix

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
post Jul 27 2008, 06:20 PM
Post #66

Member No.: 667

QUOTE (BrianL @ Jul 27 2008, 06:10 AM) *
So, if this sample is stuck in there, how are they going to get it out in preparation for the next scoop attempt?

Looks relatively clean in this, sol 61, 1318 local time:

+Quote Post
jmjawors
post Jul 27 2008, 07:01 PM
Post #67

Member No.: 1376

Did they empty the scoop onto MECA?

[Image]

--------------------
- Matt

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jul 27 2008, 09:29 PM
Post #68

Member No.: 152

QUOTE (jmknapp @ Jul 27 2008, 11:22 AM) *
The way the soil clumps and adheres suggests a fair bit of water, like it's either wet or was wet and froze again--the RASP generates some heat, no?

Apparently yes! From the latest update:
[The] robotic arm will use a revised collection-and-delivery sequence overnight Sunday with the goal of depositing an icy soil sample in the lander’s oven... The revised plan includes reducing the length of time the rasp operates as it makes the holes in the trench to reduce any potential heating of the sample, and for increasing the number of times the scoop is vibrated during the sample delivery action.

+Quote Post
mike
post Jul 27 2008, 09:49 PM
Post #69

Member No.: 86

QUOTE (Paul Fjeld @ Jul 27 2008, 06:25 AM) *
Keep fighting Phoenix team - you're having an adventure along with your heart attacks!

I agree with your entire post. They'll get good results.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jul 27 2008, 10:57 PM
Post #70

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

From the update:

NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander’s robotic arm will use a revised collection-and-delivery sequence overnight Sunday with the goal of depositing an icy soil sample in the lander’s oven.

OK.

I'm eating peanuts now.

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jul 28 2008, 12:18 AM
Post #71

Member No.: 197

How do they define "overnight Sunday"? MST?

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jul 28 2008, 03:06 AM
Post #72

Administrator

Member No.: 454

I am virtually certain that they mean "overnight Sunday" Arizona/Pasadena time, which means sol 62, that is, tosol.

Parenthetically: for those of you not familiar with the peculiarities of the federalism that complicates timekeeping in America, the state of Arizona, from which the Phoenix mission is operated, is typically one hour ahead of California, as it is in the Mountain (GMT-7) time zone, while California is in the Pacific (GMT-8) time zone. However, Arizona is one of the two American states (the other is Hawaii, the erstwhile recalcitrant portions of Indiana having chosen to participate as of 2005) that does not observe Daylight Saving Time, with the result that half of the year (including now), Arizona and California are both on the same clock. Unless, that is, you are in a Navajo or other Native American reservation -- which comprises a HUGE portion of the parts of Arizona that a tourist is likely to visit in the summer -- in which case you are an hour ahead of California. God bless America. rolleyes.gif

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jul 28 2008, 03:11 AM
Post #73

Member No.: 152

As far as heating of the scoop goes, does anyone know if there are heaters in the scoop joints or rasp mechanism? If so, could significant heat conduct through the scoop walls to the back of the scoop where the rasp shavings go? I don't suppose there's too much they could do about that, if the heating is required...

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jul 28 2008, 03:31 AM
Post #74

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jul 27 2008, 07:06 PM) *
Parenthetically: for those of you not familiar with the peculiarities of the federalism that complicates timekeeping in America,

Emily nailed it -- and there's one more exception. Malheur County Oregon. The State of Oregon is on Pacific Time and the State of Idaho is on Mountain time. However there is a town called Ontario, Oregon that is more or less a suburb of Boise Idaho. The nearest Oregon cities are 200-300 miles away. So the county of Malheur of which the vast majority of its population is in Ontario, has chosen to keep Idaho time since that where most of the people there work, shop etc. It sounds simple but of course Westerners being Westerners some folks on the Southern border of Malheur County prefer to think of themselves as Oregonians and not Idahoans, the town of Jordan Valley is the only real community in this region, they prefer to affiliate with their neighbors in Nevada. So even Malheur County is split into two time zones.

For those who are keeping track rolleyes.gif

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 28 2008, 03:50 AM
Post #75

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Now that's a fascinating factoid, actually! Had no idea, thanks!

IIRC, Clarke had a short story about a robbery in a city on Mars that was on the Prime Meridian, and the plot revolved around temporal confusion...the title completely escapes me, though. Life in the parts you describe must get kinda complicated at times...(dah dah dah, dah!)

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:07 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.