Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Jul 18 2005, 02:17 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 239

Marcel:

Interesting - and the last paragraph speaks of a new DSN study of an 11m antenna 'Farm' concept for the downlink...

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
Marcel
post Jul 18 2005, 02:25 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 65

Yeah, but that's the part i did not understand quite well i'm afraid. 11 m farm ? Do they mean a "farm" with 11 meter dishes in an array (like a Y-configuration) ? There are a lot of arrays MUCH bigger than that already.......aren't there ?

Marcel.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 18 2005, 02:34 PM
Post #4

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Lots of small dishes adding up to the same size as one large dish ends up as a cheaper option I presume?

Doug

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Jul 19 2005, 09:41 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 174

One of the "Purple Pigeons of Planetology" dream missions proposed post Viking, post-Voyager was "TAU"... Thousand Astronomical Units"... Hubble scale telescope and other instruments lobbed out of the solar system, maybe with a solar-electric propulsion system followed by Jupiter gravity assist <don't recall> on a 30 or 50 year mission.

Imagine the astrometry they could do in the galaxy with a 500 AU parallax baseline and hubble sized optics.

+Quote Post
AndyG
post Jul 19 2005, 11:58 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 279

QUOTE (edstrick @ Jul 19 2005, 09:41 AM)
Imagine the astrometry they could do in the galaxy with a 500 AU parallax baseline and hubble sized optics.

With a baseline that much bigger than Hipparcos' 2AU, the same resolving power, and a limiting magnitude six million times dimmer, we could be making 3d maps (including all M3V and brighter stars) across the galaxy to an accuracy of a couple of light hours... blink.gif

...be just about able to trigonometrically measure distances to stars as bright as Canopus in the Andromeda galaxy... ohmy.gif

Wow!

Andy G

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Jul 19 2005, 03:32 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (djellison @ Jul 18 2005, 03:34 PM)
Lots of small dishes adding up to the same size as one large dish ends up as a cheaper option I presume?

Doug

Doug:

Basically, yes - albeit with certain caveats. You have much more data-handling, and perhaps even have to have cleverer engineering than a 'big ear' (I don't know about Arecibo, but Jodrell Bank's big dish has more in common with a railway bridge that moves (it's *HEAVY*) than a refined bit of hyper-engineered kit!). Nothing beats surface area, but the practicalities are such that a load off almost off-the-shelf devices with moderate engineering requirements can compete very well. But, you *don't* get something for nothing, though in an era of low-cost computation/GPS/laser surveying/high speed data links (to name but a few of the required technologies) you *can* get something very economically.

To put this in perspective, there's a company in Liverpool (I forget their name, an offshoot of one of the Universities, possibly John Moores) which is making a determined stab at 'production-line' research class optical telescopes, and if their financial model holds up we could see a lot of 'moderate' aperture optical work. Think of the value of a hundred 48" scopes with active optics compared to one or two biggies...

And, finally, remember that radio-telescopes actually *are* in mass-production and common use - there must be one on every other house, where I stay...

Bob Shaw

--------------------

+Quote Post
tty
post Jul 19 2005, 05:06 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 273

QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Jul 19 2005, 05:32 PM)
Doug:

And, finally, remember that radio-telescopes actually *are* in mass-production and common use - there must be one on every other house, where I stay...

Bob Shaw

Not to mention radar antennas. Radio astronomy very largely begun with surplus german "Würzburg Riese" antennas back in the late forties. Allied (especially english) radar antennas weren't built to tight enough tolerances to be useful, but german ones were.... rolleyes.gif

tty

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 19 2005, 06:06 PM
Post #9

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I think that telescope company is in Birkenhead - didnt they make the mirrors for the Faulkes scopes? I remember going "Ohh - Birkenhead" because that's where Helen and I both herald from in our youth smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Jul 20 2005, 01:01 PM
Post #10

On the big radio telescope 'Railway Bridge' heavy engineering front, here are some pictures of Jodrell Bank which illustrate the scale of things. Some are in 3-D.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Jul 20 2005, 11:01 PM
Post #11

There *is* a reason for strong structures - as shown by the before and after shots of the 300' Green Bank dish (pics by Richard Porcas).

http://www.gb.nrao.edu/fgdocs/300ft/300foot.html
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Jul 21 2005, 01:10 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 103

Man, I HATE it when that happens!

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
lyford
post Jul 21 2005, 01:42 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 124

The loss of the 300Foot telescope resulted in the Green Bank Telescope Project.

I think they did it on purpose so they could get this nice new shiny one... tongue.gif

Robert C. Byrd Green Bank Telescope

Hope no one was hurt....

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Jul 21 2005, 08:52 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (lyford @ Jul 21 2005, 02:42 AM)
I think they did it on purpose so they could get this nice new shiny one... tongue.gif

Robert C. Byrd Green Bank Telescope

Hope no one was hurt....

Lyford:

You reckon it was an insurance job?

Hmmm... ...so that's the *real* conspiracy behind Mars Observer, Mars-96, MPL, MCO etc!

Bob Shaw

--------------------

+Quote Post
lyford
post Jul 21 2005, 09:01 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 124

laugh.gif

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:39 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.