IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Saturn occultation, Just to make The Week even better...
Stu
post Mar 2 2007, 03:24 AM
Post #1

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Just to round off an already magical week, here in Kendal I've just been standing in my yard watching one of the coolest things EVER - Saturn passing behind the Moon in a rare planetary occultation. Started looking at 02.00, under a crisp black sky with the Moon blazing away right at the end of my yard, and Saturn was soooo close to the Moon's limb... minutes passed and Saturn appeared to draw closer and closer, tho it was the Moon approaching Saturn of course... just before 02.40 Saturn was touched by the mountain-rippled limb of the Moon, and started to slide behind it until eventually only half the disc and one side of the rings were visible... just a stunning, stunning sight... then the planet vanished altogether, and I had to stand there, shivering, waiting for Saturn to re-emerge... finally it did, and I tried snapping a few pictures with my digital camera held up to the eyepiece...

Managed to get one good one - well, I say "good"... it's no Cassini close-up, but believe me, I'm as proud of this as any of you Image Mages are of your mosaics, colourisations or montages...!

Attached Image

There'll be far, far better portraits of this event on the pages of SKY & TELESCOPE and on websites all over the world, but this is my portrait of Saturn, sliding behind Earth's moon, at exactly the same time as Cassini is orbiting it... kinda proud of that. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Toma B
post Mar 2 2007, 06:36 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 384

You were lucky it was totally cloud-covered sky here... That's one nice image Stu.
You should tell us how did you made it. Let me guess : Small telescope with hand held digital camera at the eyepiece...am I right?
I was planing to do it that way but ...

--------------------
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
Jules H. Poincare

My "Astrophotos" gallery on flickr...

+Quote Post
Stu
post Mar 2 2007, 07:52 AM
Post #3

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

B)-->
QUOTE(Toma B @ Mar 2 2007, 06:36 AM) *

You should tell us how did you made it. Let me guess : Small telescope with hand held digital camera at the eyepiece...am I right?[/quote]

Yep, actually a very basic digi cam held up to the eyepiece, with a cut down film cannister (hmmm, film, remember that? Weird thin black tape stuff that went into the back of cameras by opening a little door... how strange...!) fitted over the lens and connecting it to the eyepiece... two good shots out of maybe 40 taken, but pretty pleased with it! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Mar 3 2007, 01:54 AM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 321

Stu, my similar approach was to use rubber bands, which ended up leaving one degree of freedom, but that's raises the number of un-smudgy images.

The other thing was to shoot video, then review the frames. One out of 40 happens every couple of seconds.

But I missed this event, except to look up, see the Moon next to a star, and think "That's either Regulus or Saturn..."

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:20 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.